IGNORED

Toenail Fungus

On 09/03/2019 at 07:35, Billyboy294 said:

I have had toenail fungus for a few years, Tries a few liquids but no better. Recent suggestion was Apple Cider Vinegar with no obvious improvement but the toenails while not very pretty are not a problem.

I have hammer toes and the 2nd toe on each foot takes most pressure and hard skin builds up which I try and remove using scissors or a special file.

These two toes are now very painful at the slightest touch. I assumed it was a normal infection but after much googlng i think it is fungal infection.

I understand that tablets are much more effective than paints and  Terbinafine (Lamisil)and Itracanasole are two which have been recommended.. i have tried Boots, Watsons and Fascino but they dont seem to advertise capsules on the web. The only price i could find was for Lamisil $860 for 30 x 250mg (yes $28 for one tablet.) and take 1 per day for 12 weeks.

Anyone had a similar problem. I did consult a doctor here a few years ago and he gave me some antibiotics and a small tube of ointment. I do plan to visit a doctor again but best to get some more info first.

I got the tablets from the doctor. I have a fungal toe. Had it years. I am to get a blood test after 4 weeks off tablets for liver test. 

Someone asked this on Thaivisa forum a few years ago.

A newish member responded and said something along the lines of

"I don't know much about Thailand but i'm an expert in this field".

He had just invented/developed the specific laser type/bit of kit that fixes this. 

• 1 year later...

I have tried. All sorts of remedy but this is the only one that has worked.   bleach.  Dab on every day for a few works

worked wonders 

On 09/03/2019 at 08:35, Billyboy294 said:

I have had toenail fungus for a few years, Tries a few liquids but no better. Recent suggestion was Apple Cider Vinegar with no obvious improvement but the toenails while not very pretty are not a problem.

I have hammer toes and the 2nd toe on each foot takes most pressure and hard skin builds up which I try and remove using scissors or a special file.

These two toes are now very painful at the slightest Touch. I assumed it was a normal infection but after much googlng i think it is fungal infection.

I understand that tablets are much more effective than paints and  Terbinafine (Lamisil)and Itracanasole are two which have been recommended.. i have tried Boots, Watsons and Fascino but they dont seem to advertise capsules on the web. The only price i could find was for Lamisil $860 for 30 x 250mg (yes $28 for one tablet.) and take 1 per day for 12 weeks.

Anyone had a similar problem. I did consult a doctor here a few years ago and he gave me some antibiotics and a small tube of ointment. I do plan to visit a doctor again but best to get some more info first.

I understand that antifungal tablets have serious side effects so you might want to get professional advice and not get them without prescription.It can take a while for the anti fungal treatments to work on toe nails.The OTC stuff I use comes in a pen and you paint it on,sometimes you need to sand the surface of the nails,whatever it's not a quick fix.On the bright side if you start now by the time you are allowed to travel to Thailand you should be fine 

It is extremely difficult to get rid of toenail fungus; and there is no treatment which works 100% for everyone.  In fact, for most people, nothing works.  One bit of advice, have a doctor do a biopsy and culture to be sure what you think is a fungus is because sometimes what seems like fungus is something else.  After trying every treatment that I'm aware of except toenail removal and laser treatment (which my podiatrist tells me would have a 40% chance of success) for over 20 years, I have given up and decided to live with it.

It is extremely difficult to get rid of toenail fungus; and there is no treatment which works 100% for everyone.  In fact, for most people, nothing works.  One bit of advice, have a doctor do a biopsy and culture to be sure what you think is a fungus is because sometimes what seems like fungus is something else.  After trying every treatment that I'm aware of except toenail removal and laser treatment (which my podiatrist tells me would have a 40% chance of success) for over 20 years, I have given up and decided to live with it.

My experience was similar to yours. I had it on one big toe, and several different podiatrists that I went to all prescribed a Liquid that you would brush on every day for 5 days (although I don’t remember it’s name), and then remove it all and start again. It was expensive, required a prescription, and it never did anything to improve my fungus.

I had finally decided to spend the big bucks for laser therapy when I read the following article in the “CR Health” department of the March, 2006 issue of Consumer Reports magazine:

“Applying Vicks VapoRub to fungus-infected toenails can clear up the notoriously hard-to-treat condition. Michigan State University clinicians found that applying the product daily to the infected nail cleared the condition in 32 of 85 patients, though it took anywhere from 5 to 16 months…”

I figured I had nothing to lose but about $5.00 for a jar. I applied it with a small cotton swab twice a day. I actually started to see a small improvement within a few weeks, and it was completely gone in about 6 months. I still dab a little of it on every morning to hopefully prevent it from recurring.

I found a video online.....but this guy covers his with gauze. I never did that....I just try to get a little under the nail and a thin coat on the nail and cuticle. I buy the tapered cotton swabs that come to a point for easy application. I’ve been fungus-free for over 10 years now.

2c637240a9bf30a5599526716f3af612.jpg

I don’t know if it will work for everybody...just saying that it sure worked for me.
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, vivid2 said:

My experience was similar to yours. I had it on one big toe, and several different podiatrists that I went to all prescribed a Liquid that you would brush on every day for 5 days (although I don’t remember it’s name), and then remove it all and start again. It was expensive, required a prescription, and it never did anything to improve my fungus.

I had finally decided to spend the big bucks for laser therapy when I read the following article in the “CR Health” department of the March, 2006 issue of Consumer Reports magazine:

“Applying Vicks VapoRub to fungus-infected toenails can clear up the notoriously hard-to-treat condition. Michigan State University clinicians found that applying the product daily to the infected nail cleared the condition in 32 of 85 patients, though it took anywhere from 5 to 16 months…”

I figured I had nothing to lose but about $5.00 for a jar. I applied it with a small cotton swab twice a day. I actually started to see a small improvement within a few weeks, and it was completely gone in about 6 months. I still dab a little of it on every morning to hopefully prevent it from recurring.

I found a video online.....but this guy covers his with gauze. I never did that....I just try to get a little under the nail and a thin coat on the nail and cuticle. I buy the tapered cotton swabs that come to a point for easy application. I’ve been fungus-free for over 10 years now.

2c637240a9bf30a5599526716f3af612.jpg

I don’t know if it will work for everybody...just saying that it sure worked for me.

Anybody tried Tiger Balm?

I'm using a brush-on Liquid called "Gordochom."  Chemical name is "undecenoic acid."  It's like  a clear oil.

I've been using it for over a year and the nail is slowly improving.  Also the fungus has not spread to any other nails.  It looks like another 6 months should finish clearing it up.

2 hours ago, ocka said:

I'm using a brush-on Liquid called "Gordochom."  Chemical name is "undecenoic acid."  It's like  a clear oil.

I've been using it for over a year and the nail is slowly improving.  Also the fungus has not spread to any other nails.  It looks like another 6 months should finish clearing it up.

Bleach. Gone in 2 months 

Wiley Coyote

Oddly ,I was recommended Vics chest rub + it seemed to work 

2 hours ago, ocka said:

Straight or diluted?

Straight.  Everyday. Just dab it with Q tip.   Cotton bud 

my nails where that bad they actually fell off. . Grew back and same symptoms again. 

so far no problems 

32 minutes ago, Wiley Coyote said:

Oddly ,I was recommended Vics chest rub + it seemed to work 

Tried vic.  It only works for some people. But not me.  Unfortunately but glad it did for you 

• Like 1
On 09/07/2019 at 11:27, quietguy77 said:

I got it on one toenail when I stayed in Hua Hin six years ago. When I got home it started to spread to toenails on either side. I got some toenail fungus varnish from pharmacist, I can't remember the name. It did stop the fungus on the two adjoining toes quite quickly, but took about 4 months to kill the fungus on first infected toe.

That toenail was still thicker and distorted. It's only just started to look about normal now. I did read that 100% pure Tea Tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) can help, so I ordered some online. It's quite cheap, around £1.50 for a 100 ml bottle. I've started applying it every day. I can't say yet if it is working but will continue with it. 

How is this working out ?

• 2 weeks later...

I had really bad fungus in the big toe on my left foot.  After talking with a Doctor, I ended up having him yank the toenail out and then kill the nail bed so that it won't grow back.  The risk involved with the pills wasn't worth it, in my opinion.  The topical treatment has a lower success rate and the laser treatment was too expensive.   Pulling the toenail cost a $30 copay for my insurance and $4 for epsom salt to soak my foot twice a day.

I've spent the last month only wearing flip flops, but it's finally healed enough to wear normal shoes again.

Edited by breadandrice
Spelling

Hydrogen peroxide 13% in a diluted foot bath once a day.   When the nail is really soaked you can clip it back further each time,  the Hydrogen Peroxide does a very good job of killing it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2020 at 14:24, OKAY said:

How is this working out ?

Well the nail is just about back to normal now. I can't say whether that's due to the Tea Tree Oil or whether it was just time. But worth trying the Tea Tree Oil as it's cheap.