IGNORED

Tire Pressure 95 lbs.

jiz

Stopped at a small motorbike repair shop for some air. Was encouraged when the boy pulled out a tire inflation gauge.

His (scamming) mom informed me my tires (2 year old Michelin City Grips) are "old and about to explode. Better buy new tires now. Thailand hot."

On the ride home, it felt like i was riding on tires made of stone. Unstable as hell. Yep. I checked...95lbs! They were about to explode, just as she predicted.....

These assholes are going to get somebody killed.

Edited by jiz

Yes this will get you killed....Deflate to around 35 Lbs 40 Lbs if you have a fat chick on the back

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

And I was fortunate to not take any bends at speed on the way home since the car wash across the street from the tire place had just slathered my tires with that slippery stuff. 

Sounds like they are trying to kill you,...you haven't signed any large insurance papers with a woman have you?555 

I use my bicycle foot pump on my Click, 29/34 PSI, those little bike shops have no gauges so over inflate everytime

Why not get your own   battery powered tyre pump from an auto shop? I would not leave something like that to any old mug.  Or at least like you did check it before you leave.

Do the service/ petrol stations offer free air?

I have a very nice pressure gauge and usually demonstrate it to the nitwits. They think it's silly of course.

I have yet to see a Thia small bike shop use a tire pressure gauge, they just inflate them until rock hard. Running the pressure recommended in the owner's manual will result in better cornering grip, longer tire wear and a more compliant ride. Check tire pressure before messing with suspension

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:44, Harry Brown said:

Why not get your own   battery powered tyre pump from an auto shop? I would not leave something like that to any old mug.  Or at least like you did check it before you leave.

Yes, they do, at least for cars.

They’re more than happy with a 20 baht tip.

And they can preset a value, 30 or whatever.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2019 at 13:44, Harry Brown said:

Most small motorbike repair shops will air your tires for five baht. Just ride up and point to tires.

• Like 1

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On 09/03/2019 at 02:43, jiz said:

Stopped at a small motorbike repair shop for some air. Was encouraged when the boy pulled out a tire inflation gauge.

His (scamming) mom informed me my tires (2 year old Michelin City Grips) are "old and about to explode. Better buy new tires now. Thailand hot."

On the ride home, it felt like i was riding on tires made of stone. Unstable as hell. Yep. I checked...95lbs! They were about to explode, just as she predicted.....

These assholes are going to get somebody killed.

Thais pump their tyres rock hard so they do not get constant flats and sidewall damage meaning new tyres and tubes, especially at the rear.

Now my m/bike tyres at home are tubeless car style and I try to keep them at recommended levels for grip but in Thailand I am riding on overgrown bicycle tyres, I guess clicks with spokes will be the same but those with alloys may be tubeless.

Longer I stay in Thailand the more Thai style I go, OK 95 psi is mad, but rock hard, taking a bit out of the front if it chatters is my way to go.

Thais pump their tyres rock hard so they do not get constant flats and sidewall damage meaning new tyres and tubes, especially at the rear.

you mean rock hard so less tyre touching the road? weird logic

i check my tyres when i pump them up now, often a bit of glass or metal in there

Do it myself, would never trust a thai to inflate my tyres.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chris2004 said:

Do it myself, would never trust a thai to inflate my tyres.

I always check the pressure afterwards. Usually 50 or 60 lbs pressure. 

This time is was 95. I’m certain the bitch told her kid to try to blow out my tires since she was putting on the hard sell to purchase new tires from her. 

Too easy to keep a tire pressure gauge in the toolkit under the seat.   Check and reduce pressure as necessary after your 95psi  fills.

• Like 2

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

Once I suggested to the kid at the bike wash that if he took a moment to check the customers tire pressure, he probably would increase his tips. I even offered to give him my nice digital gauge. 

Duh. Not interested. 

Edited by jiz

1 hour ago, jiz said:

Duh. Not interested. 

Add that to the TIT thread ...

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

My mate had a similar experience, took his Click for its first service at one of the Mityons on 3rd Road, started out on a long journey up the Jungle and couldnt understand why the "suspension" was rock hard and pattering over bumps. Eventually found out they had inflated the front to 65psi.

Never trust a Thai mechanic.

• 2 months later...

Just had my oil changed at the HONDA Dealership. 

The diligent mechanic topped up my tires to 60lbs.  Didn't even mention it, really being a conscientious mechanic...  but I noticed on the way home I had about 2 square centimeters of contact patch. Should I give him a tip or a slap him upside the head?

Took out my gauge and adjusted as usual.

Just had my oil changed at the HONDA Dealership. 
The diligent mechanic topped up my tires to 60lbs.  Didn't even mention it, really being a conscientious mechanic...  but I noticed on the way home I had about 2 square centimeters of contact patch. Should I give him a tip or a slap him upside the head?
Took out my gauge and adjusted as usual.
Should be 29 front, 34 back, pointless telling them really, in one ear out the other
  • Like 3

On 15/03/2019 at 07:53, ingo67 said:

Never trust a Thai mechanic.

Do they exist.......:Crazy1:

On 23/05/2019 at 18:45, petermik said:

Do they exist.......:Crazy1:

Yes when getting my 4x4 serviced at the local Toyota dealership I decided to look at them working on my truck from the rest room ( there is a large glass window that you can view the workshop ).

I seen them rotate my tires ( I was asked if i would like this to be done) then inflated the tires when the truck was up on the jack and used a air line gun to put the wheel nuts on.

To my surprise when the truck was lowered down to the floor the mechanic rechecked the tire air pressures ( the load of the truck on the tire will have an effect on the pressure in the tire) and used a torque bar to set the nuts.

As a side note they did not know I was watching them.

JDM

• Like 3

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

12 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

and used a torque bar to set the nuts.

As a side note they did not know I was watching them.

JDM

Hopefully JDM you will no reason to try and take off one of the wheels now they are on nice and tight.......:Crazy1:

mechanics are extinct here.... Thailand is the land of "technicians" nowadays :Laugh1:

Hopefully JDM you will no reason to try and take off one of the wheels now they are on nice and tight..

I am aware that the factory torque settings are very tight and some would say its impossible to undo them with the standard equipment that is in the vehicle. I believe there to be some truth in this statement.

I personally prefer  to have them set correctly. I have an after market long nut bar and also a 3ft tube in my 4x4  so I am not concerned about it.

I have the tel number of a local garage ( not main dealership ) that comes out removes the wheel puts the spare one on repairs the damaged one returns and swaps them over at my home all for very little money  ( he fixes it correctly none of this usual practice of sticking a rope plug in the hole ).

mechanics are extinct here.... Thailand is the land of "technicians" nowadays

I agree however there are a few about but you need to look for them ( normally in the small village areas ).

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

Today a mechanic filled my tires. 

A new record!

112lbs. rear

99.5lbs. front

Real nice ride home on the wet roads.