IGNORED

Burriam MOTO GP travel /Accomodation

T-T-T

looking to go to the MOTOGP in october  in Buriram. not completely finalised  plans but will be 4-5 of us,  probally travelling from bangkok to  Buriram then back down to  pattaya  or other way around depending on how dates work out 

So looking for advice  from Anybody with experience of doing this journey around MOtoGP time or just generally  and any recommendations on best way to travel. Probably the buriram to pattaya part mainly but any input on getting to and from buriram &  motogp would be welcome as heard it is manic  

Thinking of several options and any input  would be most welcome 

1.Hire a man & a van for 3/4 days  Picks us up , drives to buriram,  stays with us,  takes to the circuit daily from hotel etc ( if we can get one)    and after race weekend over bring us back down to pattaya  

2.fly to buriram then get a private taxi/minibus  back to pattaya after the race weekend is over 

3. fly to buriram and get public VIP Bus back to pattaya

4. pubic bus both ways 

Any experience of any of the above or what's best not to do  or do.  or recommendations of a man & a van service etc  

Any suggestion of accommodation would also be most welcome,    as all of them  seem to be booked up, near the circuit already  on sites like hotel.com, trivago etc  so any local knowledge of little known  hotels , guest house, houses for rent etc near the circuit would also be welcome

Thanks in advance 

TTT

Edited by T-T-T

It might be better to stay in Korat and make the 1 1/2 hour journey to Buriram from there, plenty of hotels but you'll need to book pronto me thinks.

I agree book your hotel now, you can even book both and then cancel one if you need to later at no charge on Agoda for most bookings in Thailand.  Qoo is a good hotel but don't expect much from breakfast there as it is just coffee and chinese style fried donuts and toast.   In a pinch you can look up the Phutep Resort which I had a horrible room the first 2 nights and then a decent room the next 3 nights.  If the room isn't adequate tell them and get a better room.  There are no windows in the room but it could work in a pinch and it's easy to get to everywhere from there and the London Steak Restaurant is very good for a bite and your next to a big c shopping center for anything you may need.  I would consider renting a car while there as long as you have your IDP.

My suggestion is to fly to Buriram from Bangkok as that is easy then take a vip bus to Pattaya as there are no flights from Buriram and it's the easiest way to go. 

Edited by doug

• 4 months later...
On 26/02/2019 at 22:49, T-T-T said:

Thinking of several options and any input  would be most welcome 

1.Hire a man & a van for 3/4 days  Picks us up , drives to buriram,  stays with us,  takes to the circuit daily from hotel etc ( if we can get one)    and after race weekend over bring us back down to pattaya  

2.fly to buriram then get a private taxi/minibus  back to pattaya after the race weekend is over 

3. fly to buriram and get public VIP Bus back to pattaya

4. pubic bus both ways 

Any experience of any of the above or what's best not to do  or do.  or recommendations of a man & a van service etc  

Any suggestion of accommodation would also be most welcome,  

I was wondering whether there is any update on this?

I'm starting to plan a similar trip (probably for 2020) and any tips would be appreciated. Is accommodation already booked up 6 months in advance???

bb69

1 hour ago, billybob69 said:

I was wondering whether there is any update on this?

I'm starting to plan a similar trip (probably for 2020) and any tips would be appreciated. Is accommodation already booked up 6 months in advance???

bb69

The plan as it stands is we will drive from Pattaya to Buriram.  This gives us transport in Buriram as well saves airport check in etc .. bit of a road trip 7 hours but hopefully will be a good experience between us all ( and after getting to airport pissing around checkin etc , getting transport taxi etc at other end doubt be much difference in time) 

Friend Hired a pick up double cab with 2 mopeds/scooters ( so we can ferry to and from the track) so taking all that with us. Another  friend who has a 4x4  is joining us so we will have 2 vehicles 

Accommodation originally only 3 going & we where lucky friend of a friend was in Buriram and booked us into Lek LEk Apartments which is not really advertised on the internet.  So got 3 rooms there. We have now become 4 so  found 2 rooms in somebody  house on Airbnb( not the best but cannot be choosy very lucky to get them) . So actually we are 1 room spare but going to keep it as I dont fully trust Airbnb and sort of a back up. 

IF you are planning a trip I would  Book my  accommodation early as you can .. many booking sites will offer a refund or dont expect payment till closer to the date .. So i would use that to your advantage.  If you want to hire  transport in Buriram again early as possible through a reputable site ... 

Getting there . if you are coming from Pattaya .. if you are confident enough and are use to driving in thailand ... then driving is best I think .. luckily one of my companions has driven it before and Sat Nav on the phone works well ..

Buriram from what I can see and find out still seems to be massively under resourced on everything for an an event like this ... hiring bikes accommodation etc .. it may change by 2020 

Will update after the event 

Edited by T-T-T
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, T-T-T said:

Buriram from what I can see and find out still seems to be massively under resourced on everything for an an event like this

Couldn't agree more. Buriram is a sh@thole that simply doesn't have the infrastructure to properly deal with an event this size. If it hadn't been been for a local bigwig who wanted to put himself (most importantly, of course) and his home town on the map, nobody would have thought to build that track where it is.

I was there for the first pre-season test they did, and it wasn't too hard to find a hotel for that. However, when checking for hotels for the actual race, the only thing left was a campsite at 1500 THB a night. To sleep in a small tent! If you look right now on Agoda for hotels for this years race, there are only 2 available, at a markup of about 1000-1500%.

Also, I can vividly imagine how traffic to and from the track will turn into an absolute fustercluck on the day of the main event.

Sounds like an opportunity for some entrepreneur types on air bnb 

Well, its not unusual that the supporting infrastructure comes gradually after a project like that

People there are proud of having the track. A lot of civic pride there which is nice to see...

• 3 months later...

Well we did it and wow what an extremely  well organised event. If was absolutely brilliant. 

We drove up from Pattaya taking the motorways all the way which is a slighly longer route on SAT Nav but worth it I think for ease of driving extremely good roads no problems what so ever took 6 hours or so. 

Arrived at our accommodation which I was worried about but that was top. stayed with a thai family who really looked after us. The daughter became our taxi driver and just took us to where every we wanted . Typical thai house very clean and nice family , good food , shower was luke warm but in the heat I dont mind that at all.   

Considering there was meant to be 200k people at the race  it was so well organised. The Traffic flowed brilliantly no real issues at all getting to and from the track.  Took us 20 minutes to get out after the final Race. 

The track itself is awesome from the Rossi stand you could see 75% of the track from the main stand I would imagine  you could see 90% which I am told is pretty unheard of. ( not a massive follower of Moto just went for the experience)   So easily able to follow the race.  Moto 3 impressed me the most as did Moto 2.. they know how to battle ...the final race but of a let down not much over taking. ( talk of tyres not been able to handle the heat afterwards) 

We where expecting the night life area;s to be packed but with so many people in town but the area;s we went where not that busy at all.. but the track was putting on some events till 2 am so might have been busier down there. 

Drive back was uneventful , good clear roads , lots of places to stop and eat etc started to rain so think 7 hours.. Again we used the motorways as opposed the fastest route route on Sat Nav

Real shame they brought it forward to March 2020 for the next one , to close really to go again but if you get the chance to go would recommend it.  Brilliant weekend all round.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Sometimes I can't believe my fcuking luck.

Ages ago I booked hotel rooms in Burriam for two weekends in October, based on the likely weekends that that the MotoGP was due to be be Thailand. The MotoGP schedule comes out and and they move the Thai GP from October to April. So I cancel my rooms (and get a full refund). Thou and behold they reschedule the Thai GP to the same weekend as when I had booked my rooms. I go to try and book them again and all the hotels are now sold out.
To make it worse, it is now the same weekend that I plan to be in Thailand :-(

1 hour ago, billybob69 said:

Ages ago I booked hotel rooms in Burriam for two weekends in October, based on the likely weekends that that the MotoGP was due to be be Thailand. The MotoGP schedule comes out and and they move the Thai GP from October to April. So I cancel my rooms (and get a full refund). Thou and behold they reschedule the Thai GP to the same weekend as when I had booked my rooms. I go to try and book them again and all the hotels are now sold out.

You need to think outside the Agoda/Booking box.
Plenty of accomm' there but not on those sites.....on Facebook usually but in Thai not English.
Now how to find them.......

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

4 hours ago, billybob69 said:

try here not a palace  but good enough to get your head down  300- 500 baht a night 

https://www.thailandee.com/en/accommodation-thailand/lek-apartment-buriram-7488

http://isaan.com/lek-apartment/

and Airbnb still seem to have some accommodation left for those dates

• 4 months later...

Is the GP still going ahead, thought I had read that it had been cancelled, not really surprising if it has been.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

7 minutes ago, udontony said:

Is the GP still going ahead, thought I had read that it had been cancelled, not really surprising if it has been.

2020 definitely gone - cancelled.

Contract renewed for 2021-6 no dates as yet.

1 hour ago, LASportsNut said:

Agoda and AirBNB are best options.

I heard the camping options are horrible

Not relevant until next year, dates unknown, but Agoda and Booking.com have proved NOT to be good options (AirBnB no idea)..

Firstly they are the first ones hit and show fully booked all the way out to Surin right from the off, partly because as soon as the date is leaked the teams and exhibitors block book. Also some advance bookings have been cancelled when they got a better offer.

There are lots of other options in and around Buriram (assuming it stays there) but mostly Thai speaking small hotels, guesthouses and resorts which don't use the booking agencies but do have Facebook accounts.

The camping at 100 Baht/night in those tiny igloo tents appeals mostly to Thais and those farang who tried it mostly said never again.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I'm wondering what the word on the street is regarding the most likely scenario for 2021 Thai MotoGP.

To be cancelled? To go ahead without spectators? Only those that have been jabbed can attend?

I found it a little strange that it got a specific mention when the Sandbox scheme was announced. Now it has been moved a week later it might be extremely beneficial to me.

9 hours ago, billybob69 said:

I'm wondering what the word on the street is regarding the most likely scenario for 2021 Thai MotoGP.

To be cancelled? To go ahead without spectators? Only those that have been jabbed can attend?

I found it a little strange that it got a specific mention when the Sandbox scheme was announced. Now it has been moved a week later it might be extremely beneficial to me.

To be Cancelled seems most likely, especially considering that Buriram is currently hunkered down and there are travel restrictions in place around Bangkok.

Dorna previously said that it could only go ahead if access was unrestricted, albeit they could probably get sufficient attendance from those already here.

Japan and Australia have gone, which doesn't help.
This time last year the calendar had been finalised and this year I'm guessing that only Malaysia (Petronas) are fighting to keep the event alive in this region.

If you're still optimistic watch AllTicket for ticket sales (not MotoGP) and watch an up to date Calendar.
https://www.autosport.com/motogp/schedule/

Accommodation (title) is not really an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Edge I thought that was going to be the most likely response :-( I was hoping that as the MotoGP got a mention as part of the Sandbox announcement that there might have been plans to allow for jabbed / quarantined farangs to attend.

If they do keep it in their schedule as it currently stands with a week between the Thai and Malay races, hopefully that can become a permanent fixture in the race calendar. Would be awesome to be able to catch two races on a two week holiday :-)

Great looking accommodation near the circuit , all we need now is a race.

Bric Box hotel Buriram     2.5-star

aaa.JPG.bcc9d3531b7e8d2cbf7405733d325b0f.JPG

aaaa.JPG.cc8ba4e7727a1594d14b6dbdb7d1f0fb.JPG

aaaaa.JPG.2abe695a0c0bcbdc1b20b6f13fa8c960.JPG

aaaaaa.JPG.9388795da97bf67d1323d54d5aabc3fe.JPG

aaaaaaa.JPG.e709d7244923399ed53719fda4e0fefb.JPG

• Like 3

I have a house booked via AIRBNB but tickets not gone on sale yet. Friends from UK want to come over but with all this sandbox going on I cannot see how we would work it , even if they came to Pattaya no guarantee we would be able to go to Burriram .. hope it goes ahead as its the only pass they will get from there other halves to come out and visit. 

I would find a lady who lives there, and go meet the family... and the gp

On 13/07/2021 at 10:31, Edge said:

To be Cancelled seems most likely, especially considering that Buriram is currently hunkered down and there are travel restrictions in place around Bangkok.

As expected........Cancelled.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1224574-buriram-moto-gp-cancelled-again-thailands-120-day-reopening-plan-teeters-on-the-brink/?tab=comments#comment-16667224

• Sad 3