IGNORED

Restaurant Recommendations Jomtien Beach Road?

ChiFlyer

I am looking for some restaurant recommendations on Jomtien Beach Road. I am not a newbie to the area.

I have been to Olala (ok), Sandbar (I like it), Emily's (ok for the price range), Akavit (ok food IMO), Surf Kitchen (don't care for it), Pupen's (been many times), Lungsawai (seems to have fallen off in quality), and a Thai cook it yourself place. I would like to try something new with the GF.

I noticed that Tequila Sunrise has it's fans, but that seems to be primarily UK food, which I am not a fan of and the GF hates it. No offense intended.

Looking for seafood, Thai, and Western places with some Thai options. I am not interested in places that serve primarily burgers, pasta, pizza, and heavier European foods (roasts etc.). Yeah, I am a fuss bottom.

Any ideas? Looks like Cafe Le Mar might be a candidate.

Posted a youtube in the under300 thread today that shows the Rom Pho BBQ Buffet... Might be of interest...

If you feel extravagant, you could try Moonlight in VT7. I’ve not been there as it’s rather expensive!

http://www.moonlightpattaya.com/moonlight-cuisine/

I’ve mentioned a few times, but haven’t seen you write about it, La Bocca which is directly opposite the Pig & Whistle. Again not cheap, but I’ve enjoyed 4 out of the 5 times I’ve been there. Excellent ravioli.

http://laboccapattaya.com/

As we’re in that area, Linda’s is pretty decent on the whole - again expensive in the evenings though. I usually go for the breakfast/lunch specials. Don’t order the ‘full English’.

http://www.lindasrestaurant.com/

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I have been to all 3. IMO

Moonlight is good, but as expensive as Cafe des Amis and does not measure up to that standard.

La Bocca is decent, but I prefer Gian's for Italian even though it is more expensive.

I have been to Linda's several times. I don't care for the food. The Norwegian oriented Western stuff is too heavy for me and their Thai dishes leave something to be desired.

I am really looking for places on or near Jomtien Beach Road as you get the Ocean view and breezes.

Going to try Cafe Le Mar tonight. It is just a little past Soi 15 on Jomtien Beach Road. Seems to check my various boxes and I have been told the food is pretty decent.

http://cafelemar-pattaya.com/

Used to really like Café Le Mar, been going there for 10 years or so, Missus loves their Thai food, but was there just after new year and the food was not as good as previously, not fresh. Maybe a one off.

4 minutes ago, jimboh said:

There's a place in front of Navin hotel we go to regularly, Thai seafood style, always good, openair place, think its called Obaloi.

I did an internet search on Obaloi - nada

I also did a search on Navin hotel. I was returned info on a place called Villa Navin. Seems to be at the first soi after soi 10.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Villa+Navin/@12.8881985,100.8763922,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x468887943ddbe63d!8m2!3d12.8887163!4d100.8769393

Is this the place you mean?

Restaurant is Obaroi.

There used to be a Thai place next to Tequila as well. Don’t know if it’s still there.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

3 hours ago, jimboh said:

Yes, that's it, Obaroi, remember to order your salted fish first, as it takes 20min.

yep - found the link. The web site is in Thai, but the menu page has English descriptions  as well.

http://www.obaroi.com/menu.html

Saw it easily enough when we went by in the baht bus on our way to Cafe Le Mar tonight. We will likely try one night next week. Oh, the Google hit said "reservations required". Is that really necessary?

4 hours ago, jimboh said:

Used to really like Café Le Mar, been going there for 10 years or so, Missus loves their Thai food, but was there just after new year and the food was not as good as previously, not fresh. Maybe a one off.

We made it over to Cafe Le Mar tonight. Love the location. Service is good. Sitting by the guard rail nearest the Ocean is very pleasant. I hesitate to comment on the food, as what we ordered did not play to their supposed strengths. I had been eating a lot of Thai lately, so went with a fried chicken breast plate and the GF ordered Sashimi. She is a bit of a wasabi freak. The food was not bad in any way, but a little ordinary. But it is such a nice place to take in a sundown, we will give it a few more tries at least. They sure do not hold back on the serving sizes. Here is a pic of my chicken, which was around 300.

IMG_2182.thumb.JPG.0beac6363af2425d435ee79d803589e3.JPG

Here is a view from the Beach taken across the street.

IMG_2175.thumb.JPG.464596c164addecc3c75e1b5f607bcda.JPG

Yes, agree about CLM, nice location, their Pizzas are good also, will give it another try soon.

Defiantly do not need to book at Obaroi, they have 2 places, either side of the entrance to hotel.

@Chiflyer I see you have the American flag in your title. Head over to Richman Poorman for some very good American comfort food before it is too late. Even if you have been there before if you liked them they are closing and have sold shop after 14 years, i believe march 9 is the last day.

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

@Chiflyer I see you have the American flag in your title. Head over to Richman Poorman for some very good American comfort food before it is too late. Even if you have been there before if you liked them they are closing and have sold shop after 14 years, i believe march 9 is the last day.

Thanks. I have never been despite the many good things I have heard about the place. I am trying to be calorie conscious these days and am doing my best to avoid carb heavy American comfort food, although that chicken dinner pic would seem to contradict that. Half of that chicken did go home for the next day's lunch.

I may still run over for a "light" lunch some day.

On 22/02/2019 at 17:49, jimboh said:

Yes, that's it, Obaroi, remember to order your salted fish first, as it takes 20min.

Tried ObAroi tonight with the GF.

I liked it a lot. The GF is luke warm on the place. Says she likes Pupen's better. I disagree.

One small complaint is that they do not sell wine by the glass. You have to buy a bottle. As long as you have someone to split it with, not a big problem. Most of their wine is in the 1000 range. I would not order the one again we had tonight, as it had a little too much bite for my tastes.

The bill was 1700 and 900 of that was the wine.

Anyway, pics are worth thousands of words and thanks to Jimboh for pointing it out.

The view.

IMG_2221.thumb.JPG.6759a187db8ecfc0fd77074e75139d54.JPG

Oysters and they were good.

IMG_2240.thumb.JPG.ea9f4ac4e822018f08410e28aac8ec82.JPG

Fried Rice with Crab, Greens in Oyster Sauce, Fried Shrimp Cakes. Plenty of crab in the fried rice. The Greens and Oyster Sauce were very tasty. I do need more veg in my diet. The Shrimp Cakes were done just the way I like them and more shrimp than filler.

IMG_2239.thumb.JPG.175ef12c3d62add2d3f604df586d4ec1.JPG

I heard good things about Sandbar by the sea, but have not been myself yet. I think its on the beach going towards Pratamnak.

34 minutes ago, ZRHuser said:

I heard good things about Sandbar by the sea, but have not been myself yet. I think its on the beach going towards Pratamnak.

I have been to Sandbar many times. It is on Dongtan Beach about 300 M North of the Police Station where Thappraya turns to become Jomtien Beach Road. There is a separate thread on Sandbar, which I recently updated.

Personally, I am suspecting that is another place that is becoming a victim of their own success. Their food is very different than ObAroi and Pupen's, which both offer exclusively Thai Seafood. Sandbar offers a combination of Western food and what my GF calls Farang Thai. :)

Archived