Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Stuck Behind a Six Ball

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Played at Ubonratdam near Khon Khaen yesterday. Top course in wonderful condition. My 4 ball weren’t held up at all, and we progressed round in 4 hours. An hour or so ahead of us was another falang 4 ball which was being held up by a Thai 6 ball. The falangs got the caddy to call the clubhouse and ask for a Marshall to hurry them along.

While I sympathize, the complaining is not something I would do. Unless it says that above 4 ball are banned, then ‘up to them’. Their country their rules.

I recall a similar situation at Victory Park Nong Khai, when I had to stride across from my fairway to an adjacent one to defuse a heated argument between 2 falang and a Thai 5 ball, I recognized one of the Thai guys (he is a cop who I played with previously).

There are lots of good things about golfing in LoS, and some frustrating things too. However, it is as it is, no point in getting angry or trying to change things.

555. At my local course on a friday afternoon at 3pm we used to have a skins game for 9 holes that any member could join - no handicaps, everyone playing the same hole. Sometimes we would have 10 guys playing. You should have heard the uproar from players behind us. Hilarious

12 Pints in Know it all

• Ru4Real changed the title to Stuck Behind a Six Ball

Happened to my irish friends years ago  , they were frustrated over slow play from the Thai golfers , one of my friends went over totell them to hurry up and realised they were the cops , one  threatened my friends to shut  fuck up  or get out  ..  the Irish retreated quietly with their tails between their legs ,, 555 . Dont know which course it was , I’m sure it was nearer to Bangkok . 

I was at Ubolratana Dam about 2 weeks ago. Nice course as you say. We played a 3 ball, and were not held up. Telling Thai men what to do in their own country sounds like a seriously bad idea. Golf ettiquette will be drastically outweighed by loss of face. A fight is a more likely outcome than faster play.

Most UK courses have a 4 ball limit, so it feels a bit odd playing in bigger games. I played in a 5 ball game at the Agri course in Khon Kaen. With the caddies, that's a total of 10 people traipsing round!

Gets worse when the Koreans have their wives with them and they all insist on having a buggy each.

A mate and I played a course in Bundaberg in Australia and we caught up to the group in front of us . 4 women. We asked to play through and were told no. At the 10th tee they stopped for a cuo of tea and we snuck onto the 10th and were about to tee off when the club pro told us to wait . "You can't jump ahead of that group , the ladies President is in it"

I said they are 3 holes behind already.

Doesn't matter

The Mens pennant team were behind us and kept giving us the hurry up. I went back and told them what was going on so they sent a player up to see if these old bitches (one of whom was chatting to a friend over the fence  instead of having her shot) Told no can do.

It took nearly 6 hours in perfect weather.  We later found out that the opposition captain called a ruling and the home club was disqualified for slow play that was avoidable. There were 5 clear holes between them and the earlier group and when they finished they insisted on doing their scorecards on the green. There were 4 groups on the tee and my mate and I 40 metres off the green. We called one group to tee off. A competition official was there on the 18th and when he witnessed the old molls he spoke to the club pro and I suppose that was enough. There were very few in the club house because most had gone home before the presentations for the ladies wednesday comp. I would like to know what happened at the next AGM. We offered to miss a hole and again was told if we did we would  be kicked off. They were marking putts less than a foot from the hole and all sorts of shit. They also had carts and we were walking. I ran out of  smokes and beer.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

Only place in the world that I have seen a six ball and it being allowed on the course. 

You would think that the guy or gals playing in the 6 ball would be far from enjoying it. The things I wouldn’t enjoy is the time between shots,the movement around the green and fairways with 6 carts,12 people including carts.

However I am always of the mind set that this is not my country or golf course I am only  a visitor and play with the golf club in LK which wouldn’t have use out in a 6 full stop.

No need or reason to show you are upset even if you maybe. I always do the old smile and Mai Pen Ray(spelling most likely wrong). As let’s be honest getting pissed off and angry will only turn out bad for you not them.

If this is at home in Scotland they wouldn’t have gotten on in a 6 and if they joined up I personally wouldn’t have an issue if they had no one behind them to slow up. I also believe no one over here would dream of playing a 6 ball for my above mentioned reasons and also that god dam thing called etiquette that on very few occasions goes out the window in Thailand and well depending who is playing at my home course also. 

Joe

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

@Joethescot Good post mate. 

Up here in Issan, I play regularly with Thai golfers. Their explanation for a 5/6...or even 7 ball, is that they are playing for money (maybe 500thb a hole), and they want to see how each other are playing.

I once saw a 7 ball in action, they were really hi-so, so in addition to their caddy, they each had a second caddy to carry an umbrella for them. So we had 21 people on the green at any one time...from a distance looked like a horde of grazing Wilderbeasts    :).

Should add that they also had each had his Mia Noi (mistress) or Gik (f*ckbuddy) in tow, waiting for them back at the clubhouse.

20 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I once saw a 7 ball in action, they were really hi-so, so in addition to their caddy, they each had a second caddy to carry an umbrella for them. So we had 21 people on the green at any one time...from a distance looked like a horde of grazing Wilderbeasts    :).

I can just picture this, gave me a good laugh.  :)

I am terrible at golf, but back when I used to play it was always with only one other person,  so we generally didn't hold anyone up.   Occasionally we did call on the group behind to play through if they caught us up, but it didn't happen much.

Lottellee- any chance of a small review on the LPGA event which yiur attending soon at Siam? I’m over in May and swaying between Boxing Day until 17th Jan or coming over in Feb to play 4 days a week and catch the event  aswell...

decisions decisions.. 

4 hours ago, Joethescot said:

Lottellee- any chance of a small review on the LPGA event which yiur attending soon at Siam? I’m over in May and swaying between Boxing Day until 17th Jan or coming over in Feb to play 4 days a week and catch the event  aswell...

decisions decisions.. 

With pleasure mate. I will be flying down to Patts from Udon on Wed. Really looking forward to it. 

On 16/02/2019 at 09:10, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Played at Ubonratdam near Khon Khaen yesterday. Top course in wonderful condition. My 4 ball weren’t held up at all, and we progressed round in 4 hours. An hour or so ahead of us was another falang 4 ball which was being held up by a Thai 6 ball. The falangs got the caddy to call the clubhouse and ask for a Marshall to hurry them along.

While I sympathize, the complaining is not something I would do. Unless it says that above 4 ball are banned, then ‘up to them’. Their country their rules.

I recall a similar situation at Victory Park Nong Khai, when I had to stride across from my fairway to an adjacent one to defuse a heated argument between 2 falang and a Thai 5 ball, I recognized one of the Thai guys (he is a cop who I played with previously).

There are lots of good things about golfing in LoS, and some frustrating things too. However, it is as it is, no point in getting angry or trying to change things.

Quite a few times in Thailand my group (4 ball) have been held up by slow players, usually Koreans but sometimes 5 players who all think they're on the pro circuit.

Our caddies just have a quick chat amongst themselves and then one will say "we go around" and before we know it we're driving ahead of the slow group to play in front of them. Just come back and play the hole(s) we missed at the end.

Obviously you need to be in carts to do this, but it's never been a problem.

Usually we've showered and had lunch before the offenders eventually saunter in....not worth saying anything, we're all out there to enjoy our game.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

Happens quite often at the Panya Indra course in Bangkok. I don’t have the time for this to be honest so I requested my money back which I got. Seems the people working there are quite embarressed about the slow play as well but can’t do anything because  these are members. I told them that this may cost them business in the time of internet as reviews will be bad...mine was. The thousands of Japanese and Koreans going there for the famous pretty caddies don’t care I guess ....will move on to different courses now.

Golf should be played at a certain pace or it sucks.  Wednesday I played at Bangphra and front nine was slow as another falang tournament that started on the 10th made the turn and they were all walkers and pretty much all not very accomplished golfers.  (BTW I am not a golf bigot it can be enjoyed by all caliber players)  Made the turn thinking now we will speed up  and realized they had put a Thai (or Japanese not sure) 6 ball out.  I didn't say a word but the caddies called in and a Marshall came out and moved them up a few holes for us.  I did appreciate that.  Pity the course is so ragged now.

I don't really care how many are in a group ahead of me.  Anything under a 4 hour round is OK.  And I have seen Thai 5-6 balls go out in front of us and never been caught.  Lots of them will be hitting in unison and they play the circle of friendship gimmes and when it's there the way away and tee off while others are putting out.  Not my cup of tee but if they keep pace of play who cares?

Played Burapa Monday behind some Japanese groups.  4 hours 16 minutes.  As we were a 3 ball it felt longer but I mean really can't get belligerent over that pace.   Chatted with them a bit in locker room.  Nice guys.  

On 17 February 2019 at 15:40, Joethescot said:

decisions decisions.. 

When's this LPGA event I'm here from Sat for 3 weeks would love to go?

Finishes Sunday. Some bars will have free tickets and if over 60 you can get in for nothing by showing passport or Thai driving licence. There is a baht bus that traverses Soi Siam country. Depends what time you get in Saturday but if early enough go to any of the bars that run golf days and someone can give you specific details.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

5 hours ago, ronthebrummie said:

When's this LPGA event I'm here from Sat for 3 weeks would love to go?

I think it’s this week @LOTTELLEE WINNA should be able to tell you as he is going. 

12 minutes ago, Joethescot said:

I think it’s this week @LOTTELLEE WINNA should be able to tell you as he is going. 

Starts tomorrow....really looking forward to it.

3DCF333A-0BA2-44CB-B6A3-923A6369DB52.png

The tournament starts on Thursday but the girls out working on Tuesday. Practice round at Siam. Course look in great shape. The par 3 16th.

LPGA.jpg

It's very common back in the states for a slow playing group to wave a quicker group through, just a common courtesy. if you're a 3 or a 2 playing behind a four, why wouldnt you wave them through, they'll be out of your way in half a hole and you can go back to your slow pace. I've never seen it happen in LOS. If the course is backed up then there is no point in playing through, but if there are open holes ahead then its really just being a cunt to not let someone play though. 

i never found a 6 ball a problem, but sometimes the Koreans cut in in front on the 10th or other hole. That pisses everyone off. Falangs can hold up the whole course too, only takes one person.

Slow players should be put to the back of a big bar group, an incentive to speed up

Ok I’m a c......good fellow,   Nothing like a ball on the head to give them the message.

47 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

i never found a 6 ball a problem, but sometimes the Koreans cut in in front on the 10th or other hole. That pisses everyone off. Falangs can hold up the whole course too, only takes one person.

Slow players should be put to the back of a big bar group, an incentive to speed up

Played Green Valley today.  My 3 ball was sailing along when we looked to our right on 7, the par 5, and spotted a bunch of carts and people who weren't in front of us at the first tee playing 8 the par 3.  It was 3 groups of Koreans who missed their early tee time (like by 2 hours) being put off on 8.

I was getting kind of angry about that when the starter or whoever came over and told my friend we were being waived through them.  And honestly our second group was about 2 holes back already so heck, can't blame the course getting as many players out as possible.  We went through and never saw them again.

Played in 3:50 and would have been faster but we ran into another falang tournament (I know the bar).  Course did it right this time.

Played Green Valley today.  My 3 ball was sailing along when we looked to our right on 7, the par 5, and spotted a bunch of carts and people who weren't in front of us at the first tee playing 8 the par 3.  It was 3 groups of Koreans who missed their early tee time (like by 2 hours) being put off on 8.
I was getting kind of angry about that when the starter or whoever came over and told my friend we were being waived through them.  And honestly our second group was about 2 holes back already so heck, can't blame the course getting as many players out as possible.  We went through and never saw them again.
Played in 3:50 and would have been faster but we ran into another falang tournament (I know the bar).  Course did it right this time.

Being waived through is rarer in Thailand than a visual of Lala

14 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

Was sitting at Siam CC not to long ago waiting on our t time, groups go off at 8 minute intervals. Starter was continually on her radio trying to get a 4 ball of Koreans out of the clubhouse. They finally wander down about 20 minutes late & want to know where their clubs are, she tells em missed t time we will slot you in at next available one. Next t time was at 13:36 hrs, this all went on at 09:30 hrs. Was great to see these ignorant cunts put in their place.

On 19/02/2019 at 22:26, fatjack1 said:

Anything under a 4 hour round is OK.

Playing here all year round with different golfers and usually walking it is very rarely less than 4 hours with  about 4hours 20 as an average norm. Yes it feels slow to me as well but unfortunately just have to accept it.

High season (now) is usually slower.

19 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

Played in 3:50

I played Friday at Pattavia and in a 4 ball with one guy in a cart and unusually we were about the same. We were however very lucky as 2 groups of Thais who had not been in front of us were taking photos on the 10th tee as we came up to the 9th green. I managed to complete the hole quickly and hurried over as one of them was about to set up and they actually let us go first. 

Unfortunately our other groups were a hole or 2 back so they got stuffed.

Archived