IGNORED

A380 Jumbo Scrapped

Rainsberger

On 16/02/2019 at 21:18, Luv2Phuket said:

I recall reading frequent flier blogs about the last United 747 flight - guess there was a big demand for tickets on it.

The ones I have flown with Thai have seen better days. Older aircraft; poor seating layout.

Before they moved on from the 747s, I flew one on Cathay from SFO to Hong Kong a few years ago. The seating in the nose of the plane (as it is on Thai) seemed pretty unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on a Thai 747 from BKK to HKT. Was one of the strangest layouts I've ever seen on any plane. Lower level business has a wall running to the right of the middle row, so the entire J cabin on the lower level has a galley on the right side where the window seats would be. I was in J upstairs which was actually pretty great, despite the age of the plane. I had an exit row which was like removing an entire row of business seats in a 2x2 setting. There was like 5' to the next seat. Would have been peaceful if not for my hungover LT who was throwing up into a sick bag the entire flight. 

Forgot to mention that I did CX on a 747 once on a last minute equipment change. I wanted one of those two nose seats so bad, but I ended up in the throne chair. Kind of the worst seat, but still F. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Little Evil said:

I was on a Thai 747 from BKK to HKT. Was one of the strangest layouts I've ever seen on any plane. Lower level business has a wall running to the right of the middle row, so the entire J cabin on the lower level has a galley on the right side where the window seats would be. I was in J upstairs which was actually pretty great, despite the age of the plane. I had an exit row which was like removing an entire row of business seats in a 2x2 setting. There was like 5' to the next seat. Would have been peaceful if not for my hungover LT who was throwing up into a sick bag the entire flight. 

Forgot to mention that I did CX on a 747 once on a last minute equipment change. I wanted one of those two nose seats so bad, but I ended up in the throne chair. Kind of the worst seat, but still F. 

I was in the crappy downstairs layout (both times!  555)

In 2016 I started flying with Emirates from Manchester to Thailand and was and still am impressed with the A380's.  Hopefully the Emirates will continue to use the fleet they have for the next few years

On 14/02/2019 at 14:08, fishy62 said:

I only fly business A 380 when I have to.... what a bugger...

I feel for you man...I only fly first...such a burden :)

On 17/02/2019 at 05:34, Mr Wombat said:

That is the business they are in. Everything new costs mega bucks. If they dont keep innovating they lose.

Look what airbus did with the A380. Huge gamble. I wonder if it paid for itself, or they did their arse.

Airbus lost billions but the countries who financed it just write off the bad loans. That is part of why the A380 failed. IMO The plane was an employment and prestige generator for numerous EU countries but the need to meet the bottom line, profit, was never foremost, as it should have been. Airbus had no skin in the game, socialize expenses, privatize profits.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

24 minutes ago, likeaking said:

Airbus lost billions but the countries who financed it just write off the bad loans. That is part of why the A380 failed. IMO The plane was an employment and prestige generator for numerous EU countries but the need to meet the bottom line, profit, was never foremost, as it should have been. Airbus had no skin in the game, socialize expenses, privatize profits.

On 15/02/2019 at 06:37, PR1977 said:

Pity, great aircraft to fly on.

Interesting that no US airline ever ordered it, wonder how much of a factor that was in the decision.

The US industry has been whining for years about the subsidies being paid to keep the A380 in production....possibly a reason why you don’t see them is US Airlines. Pressure on  those subsisdies could be another reason for the halt.

On 16/02/2019 at 08:27, LeoTex said:

All my flights out of the US are on A350 now that Delta replaced the 747,s with them.

Looks like I can get a KAL A350, Premium Economy, out of Detroit to Seoul. It does cost $500 more than AA Premium Economy on a 777 out of Dallas to Hong Kong. Not sure if I want to pay extra right now.

23 minutes ago, keepitfun said:

The US industry has been whining for years about the subsidies being paid to keep the A380 in production....possibly a reason why you don’t see them is US Airlines. Pressure on  those subsisdies could be another reason for the halt.

It's not about subsidies, though keeping the price of the A380 low through subsidies does make for an unfair price advantage. The U.S. airlines didn't buy the A380 for the most important reason, profit, and the pressure to make a profit or go bankrupt. 

Airbus fanbois want to blame anyone but Airbus for the A380's failure. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

1 hour ago, Ziplee said:

Looks like I can get a KAL A350, Premium Economy, out of Detroit to Seoul. It does cost $500 more than AA Premium Economy on a 777 out of Dallas to Hong Kong. Not sure if I want to pay extra right now.

I don't fly KAL out of Detroit, but fly Delta out to Seoul and then its Korean Air into Bangkok.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

16 hours ago, likeaking said:

Failure was simply lack of demand.  Airbus got it wrong, big time!

The bulk of orders were with just one airline.

On 18/02/2019 at 22:42, LeoTex said:

I don't fly KAL out of Detroit, but fly Delta out to Seoul and then its Korean Air into Bangkok.

LeoTex

I've took that flight. Detroit has that Veterans Lounge and KAL is pretty good. 

On 18/02/2019 at 20:18, blue1878 said:

Hopefully the Emirates will continue to use the fleet they have for the next few years

I hope so too. Have been so many times with various A380 during the last years and these were the best flights for me. I like the big space and the  nearly silent flights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2019 at 02:18, blue1878 said:

In 2016 I started flying with Emirates from Manchester to Thailand and was and still am impressed with the A380's.  Hopefully the Emirates will continue to use the fleet they have for the next few years

Use it all the time since Qatar started to use that crappy Dreamliner with only space for one foot.

best of the lot was the old Qatar 777 before they added the extra seat, thier a380 is decent too but not seen it on the Bangkok route for nearly 2years now

On 21/02/2019 at 04:04, Larry777 said:

I hope so too. Have been so many times with various A380 during the last years and these were the best flights for me. I like the big space and the  nearly silent flights.

Think they will

the man-Dubai route has been full everytime ive used it the last 18months 

• 3 weeks later...

The only people that liked the A380's were us passengers. The A380's consume more fuel, weigh more with less range than the aircraft Boeing took a gamble on. 

They are Sooo expensive that all the airlines that have them on lease will be returning them as soon as the lease expires, or if they own them will sell them back to Airbus or strip them for parts.

The old school 747's are actually popular choices for freight and cargo travel, while the A380's are destined for the graveyard. 

I still remember the first time that I saw an A380 - it was the first one to land at LAX (and in the USA, IIRC), and it was on a side runway/stowage area that I would drive past on my way home.

I have no idea what kind of cargo plane was next to it, but it looked like Wilt Chamberlain standing next to a midget!

These planes will still be around for some time. ANA just took delivery of the first of three they ordered. It has couch seats in economy which essentially turn a three or four seat economy row into a flat bed. Nice video here.

• 2 months later...

The A380 was never going to have the production run of the B747, the market changed and Airbus took too long to respond. The days of big jets like that are all but numbered.

• 4 weeks later...

what a plane the A380 is, only traveled economy in it, but absolutely wowed by the size of it when i saw it before boarding. I wish i'd flown concorde at least once, surely they'll be another commercial supersonic jet in my lifetime? Would love to hear from those who did get to travel on that bird?!

9 hours ago, machoman said:

what a plane the A380 is, only traveled economy in it, but absolutely wowed by the size of it when i saw it before boarding. I wish i'd flown concorde at least once, surely they'll be another commercial supersonic jet in my lifetime? Would love to hear from those who did get to travel on that bird?!

Yeh a380 is the best. Hopefully be around for some time.

my dad got a trip on concorde, work related so free as well. I remember he got a certificate. I think the pilots had to sign them lol. He was buzzing about it. I've been on the exhibit one at manchester airport, they are tiny inside. Very cool though.

17 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

Yeh a380 is the best. Hopefully be around for some time.

my dad got a trip on concorde, work related so free as well. I remember he got a certificate. I think the pilots had to sign them lol. He was buzzing about it. I've been on the exhibit one at manchester airport, they are tiny inside. Very cool though.

I agree with you the A380 is a great plane and the best I have flown on.  After years of flying with another airline to Thailand I started flying on the A380 with Emerates in 2016 and this will be the 4th year I have flown with them.  I wish I'd known earlier what a good plane the A380's are because I would have started flying on them earlier

23 minutes ago, blue1878 said:

I agree with you the A380 is a great plane and the best I have flown on.  After years of flying with another airline to Thailand I started flying on the A380 with Emerates in 2016 and this will be the 4th year I have flown with them.  I wish I'd known earlier what a good plane the A380's are because I would have started flying on them earlier

Good news is just because they will stop taking orders this jet will be flying for a long time.  Plus the new Boeing Dreamliner is supposed to be as good or maybe even better.

We are so lucky to have both these companies competing.  The winner is us - the traveling public.  

6 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

Good news is just because they will stop taking orders this jet will be flying for a long time.  Plus the new Boeing Dreamliner is supposed to be as good or maybe even better.

We are so lucky to have both these companies competing.  The winner is us - the traveling public.  

Whilst the dreamliner is a great plane, the new popular economy seats really suck. 

Has a sliding base with less recline. Not comfy at all IMO. I will pay a premium to not be on this plane.

Archived