IGNORED

A380 Jumbo Scrapped

Rainsberger

3 hours ago, Mr Wombat said:

I bet the airports that geared up for an influx of A380 will be pissed off. I know my local airport (Brisbane) built a stand alone A380 double decker air bridge system. From what I have seen there is only 1 A380 per day into Brisbane, and it now wont get any more.

A380's will still be flying for the next 20 years

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Yeah, Melbourne has some like that, others can service A380 or two smaller aircraft like 2 A320s etc.

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

18 hours ago, slippery lips said:

Don't worry, this aircraft will still be flying long after you've given up punting.

2030 aint that far away...

IYKYK

7 hours ago, speedtoy said:

2030 aint that far away...

Considering how prices are rising,.....like he says!:rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Mr Wombat said:

I bet the airports that geared up for an influx of A380 will be pissed off. I know my local airport (Brisbane) built a stand alone A380 double decker air bridge system. From what I have seen there is only 1 A380 per day into Brisbane, and it now wont get any more.

Why no more A380 to Brisbane ? Have Emirates cancelled that particular plane into Brisbane ?

Don't forget Emirates for example will still be flying the A380 in 2030 and perhaps beyond

It's a shame the A380 wasn't more popular. They are very pleasant to fly on. Thankfully the A350 and 787 are equally pleasant to fly on. Quiet cabins and higher humidity are big helps when you find yourself on 4 long hauls a month. Thankfully I crossed both the A380 and 747-8 off my bucket list early on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Kudos to Airbus for two things.  One is the 380.  A great jet.  As noted they simply missed the target on economies so it won't have the longest production run.  The second kudo is for entering the market and making Boeing work harder resulting in the 777 and 787 also both great aircraft.

1 hour ago, brownmanc said:

Why no more A380 to Brisbane ? Have Emirates cancelled that particular plane into Brisbane ?

Don't forget Emirates for example will still be flying the A380 in 2030 and perhaps beyond

Yeah emirates still fly the A380 into Brisbane. What I meant was there will be no more additional planes. I doubt the one plane a day would pay for the double decker aerobridge even over 20 years. The normal aerobridges get used 50 times a day (at a guess)

12 Pints in Know it all

2 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

Kudos to Airbus for two things.  One is the 380.  A great jet.  As noted they simply missed the target on economies so it won't have the longest production run.  The second kudo is for entering the market and making Boeing work harder resulting in the 777 and 787 also both great aircraft.

The Boeing 777 went into service 10 years before the A380 did so how did the A380 push the development of the 777?

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

2 hours ago, likeaking said:

The Boeing 777 went into service 10 years before the A380 did so how did the A380 push the development of the 777?

My bad.  Just the 787.

I think Boeing did a better job of anticipating the needs of the airline industry. Combine this with Airbus' pressure to create jobs and be competitive with Boeing, the A380 was destined to early obsolescence in a market economy. IMO

Every hole a goal.

Stop the Vagilantes.

1 hour ago, likeaking said:

I think Boeing did a better job of anticipating the needs of the airline industry. Combine this with Airbus' pressure to create jobs and be competitive with Boeing, the A380 was destined to early obsolescence in a market economy. IMO

Yeah.  Airbus missed the mark with the 380.  Great engineering and build but poor marketing research.  Boeing has them there.  But my bet is the 787 isn't flying in 2019 if Airbus didn't exist.  Let's hope Airbus is in development of something new to keep Boeing on their toes.

BTW I was at Boeing selling them a network years ago during the early work on the 777.  Up close the individual parts of this jets are huge.  Hard to believe that stuff flies.

1 hour ago, fatjack1 said:

My bad.  Just the 787.

Was your reference in respect of the development of the 777X? Perhaps there might be an argument that that project's evolution of the 777 and wouldn't have been necessary without the A380....

Interesting to note that the A340 also stopped production early - it was initially positioned as a competitor also to the 747 if I'm not mistaken and was quite innovative and the 500 model held (holds?) the record for the longest single flight between NY and Singapore I think.

So has the 747 now seen off two competitors from Airbus? Seems to support the idea above from @likeaking that Boeing anticipated the needs of the industry better than Airbus

Flew on Qatar Dreamliner two years ago ,  marvellous flight , didn’t feel the landing a bit when I woke up at the parking 555  . Had a nice bread pudding there . Probably the best foods provided on economy class .  Sad to hear A380 is being scrapped . 

Every flight I take from the USA is on a triple 7. Yep, 14 to 15 hours, but pretty cheap compared to flights to other countries. Maybe I can find a 380 flight in my price range soon.

1 hour ago, Ziplee said:

Every flight I take from the USA is on a triple 7. Yep, 14 to 15 hours, but pretty cheap compared to flights to other countries. Maybe I can find a 380 flight in my price range soon.

Asiana is flying 380s from LAX.

1 hour ago, Ziplee said:

All my flights out of the US are on A350 now that Delta replaced the 747,s with them.

My last leg is either on a 747, 777 and sometimes on a A380 from Seoul to Bangkok.

My favorite was the 777 until the A350 came on the scene.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

6 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

Yeah.  Airbus missed the mark with the 380.  Great engineering and build but poor marketing research.  Boeing has them there.  But my bet is the 787 isn't flying in 2019 if Airbus didn't exist.  Let's hope Airbus is in development of something new to keep Boeing on their toes.

It will be a long time before anybody will take the risk or make the kind of investment Boeing did to launch the Dreamliner.  Boeing patented many of the revolutionary design changes that make the Dreamliner superior to any competition.

Airbus has been criticized for their band aid approach with the A350 launch to compete with the Dreamliner, avoiding a clean sheet design and associated costs.

1 hour ago, Whalley said:

It will be a long time before anybody will take the risk or make the kind of investment Boeing did to launch the Dreamliner.  Boeing patented many of the revolutionary design changes that make the Dreamliner superior to any competition.

Airbus has been criticized for their band aid approach with the A350 launch to compete with the Dreamliner, avoiding a clean sheet design and associated costs.

True, Airbus was criticized for the initial A350 design which was going to be an A330 derivative. But they also listened to the criticism, and the redesign is the clean sheet A350XWB we now see. The schedule took a two year hit and development costs greatly increased with the redesign.

3 hours ago, Whalley said:

I get a kick out folks who say the Airbus A380 forced Boeing to step up their game with the 787 Dreamliner. Leading involves a vision of the future, risk taking and great expense to realize that vision. The A380 is a better 747 but was never a game changer like the 727, 747 and now 787. 

Every hole a goal.

Stop the Vagilantes.

2 hours ago, likeaking said:

I get a kick out folks who say the Airbus A380 forced Boeing to step up their game with the 787 Dreamliner. Leading involves a vision of the future, risk taking and great expense to realize that vision. The A380 is a better 747 but was never a game changer like the 727, 747 and now 787. 

It takes imbecile vision and giant balls to make a giant leap as Boeing did with the B787.  

Design costs far exceeding $30 billion and as much in deferred expenses as they sell below cost the first 1100 aircraft.  At launch each aircraft sold for $45 million below cost of production.

Edit: Should read:

It takes impeccable vision and giant balls to make a giant leap as Boeing did with the B787.  

45 minutes ago, Whalley said:

Edit: Should read:

It takes impeccable vision and giant balls to make a giant leap as Boeing did with the B787.  

That is the business they are in. Everything new costs mega bucks. If they dont keep innovating they lose.

Look what airbus did with the A380. Huge gamble. I wonder if it paid for itself, or they did their arse.

12 Pints in Know it all

I guess I was thinking about the 3 major US carriers.
I don't think American Airlines every had any, but both United and Delta don't fly the 747's any longer.
And thinking back last year, 2 of my trips from Seoul to Bangkok on Korean were on a 747-8 plane. Looks like they still operate 23 of the 747's, which 17 are the 800 series
LeoTex

I recall reading frequent flier blogs about the last United 747 flight - guess there was a big demand for tickets on it.

The ones I have flown with Thai have seen better days. Older aircraft; poor seating layout.

Before they moved on from the 747s, I flew one on Cathay from SFO to Hong Kong a few years ago. The seating in the nose of the plane (as it is on Thai) seemed pretty unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived