IGNORED

Best street pancakes?

Usually stay away from Thai food as I don't like spicy food and it upsets my stomach too.

Been watching some YouTube videos and seen those egg roti pancakes and they look amazing.

Any recommendations on where I can find a street vendor that does them well?

Thanks

Just now, hggcraig said:

Usually stay away from Thai food as I don't like spicy food and it upsets my stomach too.

Been watching some YouTube videos and seen those egg roti pancakes and they look amazing.

Any recommendations on where I can find a street vendor that does them well?

Thanks

trouble is they are mobile and so move around a great deal

3 minutes ago, striderman said:

trouble is they are mobile and so move around a great deal

Aww ok thought they all go to the same spot.

I'll have to keep a look out, thanks.

Outside the entrance to the base condo on 2nd rd most nights

IMO all test the same and can't recon one vendor over another.

Some vendors appeas to be pretty stationary, and if in that area VT 6 aea,  there are vendor in front of the building both on  2nd and BRoad site

49 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

IMO all test the same and can't recon one vendor over another.

Some vendors appeas to be pretty stationary, and if in that area VT 6 aea,  there are vendor in front of the building both on  2nd and BRoad site

Thanks, can't wait to try them :)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 00:53, Madzar said:

Outside the entrance to The Base condo on 2nd rd most nights

Also one at the Beach Road end of Soi Post Office? Mango sticky rice from another vendor is almost always there and always good as well

On Soi Lengkee in front of Family Mart, only in the evenings. Also there is a stall within the Central Festival food court. 

5 minutes ago, tikibar said:

On Soi Lengkee in front of Family Mart, only in the evenings. Also there is a stall within the Central Festival food court. 

Brilliant thanks

There's a Muslim woman who cooks them at the night market at the Avenue mall on second road, just walk through the clothes stalls out front and head towards Soi Buakhao, think it's opposite one of the those pig roasting stalls.

46 minutes ago, dontpanic said:

There's a Muslim woman who cooks them at the night market at the Avenue mall on second road, just walk through the clothes stalls out front and head towards Soi Buakhao, think it's opposite one of the those pig roasting stalls.

Thanks, I'll be sure to visit her :)

4 hours ago, dontpanic said:

The roti comes from Malaysia's roti canai which they used eat with curry and without all the sweet stuff like milk ,banana , chocolate etc They have it nowadays but the point is it spread to the south of Thailand ; with mostly muslims making them. Spread to Bangkok and other parts now with some non muslims making them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti_canai

Thailand

220px-Roti_titchu_with_beef_curry.jpg

Roti thitchu served with a Thai-Muslim style beef curry.

In Thailand, roti (with variations on spelling such as ro tee) is commonly sold from street carts, usually by Muslims, and is usually Halal. Roti thitchu (Thai for "tissue") is Thai roti canai that is fluffed up by clapping it between two hands inside a dry cloth after frying, served with a Thai-Muslim style beef curry.

Unlike in Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, variations in Thailand tend towards the sweet rather than the spicy or savory. Popular variations include mango, banana, sugar, condensed milk, jam, peanut butter and Nutella roti, although egg roti (often with sweetened condensed milk spread over the top) is also available. Some stalls sell mataba (the equivalent of the Malaysian murtabak), though this is usually found in restaurants that sell Indian Muslim food such as biryani rice rather than at roti stalls.

Soi 13/2, in the street in between McDonald's and Pizza Hut.  He makes good ones with bananas and chocolate.  Man they're good.

10 hours ago, mmaaarrrkkk said:

The roti comes from Malaysia's roti canai which they used eat with curry and without all the sweet stuff like milk ,banana , chocolate etc They have it nowadays but the point is it spread to the south of Thailand ; with mostly muslims making them. Spread to Bangkok and other parts now with some non muslims making them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti_canai

Thailand

220px-Roti_titchu_with_beef_curry.jpg

Roti thitchu served with a Thai-Muslim style beef curry.

In Thailand, roti (with variations on spelling such as ro tee) is commonly sold from street carts, usually by Muslims, and is usually Halal. Roti thitchu (Thai for "tissue") is Thai roti canai that is fluffed up by clapping it between two hands inside a dry cloth after frying, served with a Thai-Muslim style beef curry.

Unlike in Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, variations in Thailand tend towards the sweet rather than the spicy or savory. Popular variations include mango, banana, sugar, condensed milk, jam, peanut butter and Nutella roti, although egg roti (often with sweetened condensed milk spread over the top) is also available. Some stalls sell mataba (the equivalent of the Malaysian murtabak), though this is usually found in restaurants that sell Indian Muslim food such as biryani rice rather than at roti stalls.

Interesting thanks :)

4 hours ago, GoodMan555 said:

Soi 13/2, in the street in between McDonald's and Pizza Hut.  He makes good ones with bananas and chocolate.  Man they're good.

Thank you, my stomachs rumbling just thinking about them :)

I did not know they make them with Mangoes!  I love Mangoes.  Next trip, first order of business.  Thanks dontpanic.   This is the amazing thing about Pattaya, there so much of everything it overwhelms your senses and you end up missing a lot even when you are looking straight at something.

This guy I am talking about, he does them like an artist.  He takes his time making them look so good, it's like you are looking at a very nice design.  And they taste soooo good...

19 hours ago, GoodMan555 said:

This is the amazing thing about Pattaya, there so much of everything it overwhelms your senses and you end up missing a lot even when you are looking straight at something.

you'll discover more if you visit the rest of Thailand!

• 2 months later...

I found a really good one on my trip last month  who sets up between the two sticky mango stalls on that Soi running off Pattaya Klang that leads to The March Hotel; the bloke who runs it is there from about 8pm each night.

He just puts a bit more attention to detail into preparing the pancakes, bananas etc are cut into smaller pieces and shape is retained during cooking, tasted really really good too, just a step above any other street seller I can remember buying from

Not that it was anything special, but I got one just outside of the entrance to LK Metro in February.

I have yet to have one that I didn't enjoy!  5555

Gotta try the mango next time -- I've always stuck to banana because I like it so much.

Don't know if I've ever tried the same one twice. I just get one while I'm walking past. They all taste the same to me and are just fine.

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/01/2019 at 09:53, Madzar said:

Outside the entrance to The Base condo on 2nd rd most nights

I get them often from this lady's cart.  They are VERY good!  

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 05:37, Luv2Phuket said:

Not that it was anything special, but I got one just outside of the entrance to LK Metro in February.

I have yet to have one that I didn't enjoy!  5555

Gotta try the mango next time -- I've always stuck to banana because I like it so much.

haha same here , always banana and a little milk , no sugar ......... too sweet!

I've tried to Malaysian version with curry , very nice too so I would assume the mango one would be nice too but chocolate would be too adventurous for me! Like anal :)

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 00:49, hggcraig said:

Thanks, can't wait to try them

Well - that was in January. It is now May, did you get to try them? Any feedback for other BMs?

Archived