Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Server upgrade (again)

LaaMok

We have been able to increase the forum speed dramatically after spending months trying to find the issues. (long story)

Our last move is upgrading the hard drives to SSD,  this will take 20 minutes to 2 hours max to move our database which is over 100GB

So the forum may disappear soon for a very short while and it will be even faster than it is now.

Thank you for your patience

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks , the forum must cost a small fortune to fund ! 

just an off-topic question: how do I clear my notifications? There was an option before but now it's gone...

12 hours ago, madhat said:

just an off-topic question: how do I clear my notifications? There was an option before but now it's gone...

They should clear automatically once you click on the Bell notification icon to display the new notifications.

image.png

41 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

They should clear automatically once you click on the Bell notification icon to display the new notifications.

image.png

Somehow they don't anymore. And there is no option to clear the list as before...

2007588829_ScreenShot2019-01-07at12_05_01PM.png.c1df0901b93097482cbfef80c48f1acb.png

1 hour ago, madhat said:

Somehow they don't anymore. And there is no option to clear the list as before...

2007588829_ScreenShot2019-01-07at12_05_01PM.png.c1df0901b93097482cbfef80c48f1acb.png

You are correct there no longer is a clear list option, at least from what I could see. But there really isn't a need for that option because after clicking on the view notifications icon the little counter above the icon showing the number of new notifications will disappear, which it appears to have done in your screen shot. Any new notifications will show up as bold text in the list. After closing the notification dialog box you click on it again, all old notifications will show in normal text. Since you can distinguish between old and new notifications by the bolding of text, there really isn't a need to clear the list after viewing.

16 hours ago, LaaMok said:

That was a crashed table, its fixed now.

Crashed Table? A term to remember. :)

To add to another favorite term, heard ONLY (in my experience) "Deep in the Heart of Texas"...well Galveston, anyway:  "Rolling the box".

Some of us call this a server reboot. Never before or again heard it described as the above, but I left those environs soon after. Excellent money is one thing but living in (ahem) certain places to earn it is another. Of course walking the beach there at sunset and seeing pelicans overhead is killer and the Austin barbeque and music scene can't be beat! :D

And thanks for the fix.:Clap:

15 minutes ago, CyberPro said:

Crashed Table? A term to remember. :)

To add to another favorite term, heard ONLY (in my experience) "Deep in the heart of Texas"...well Galveston, anyway:  "Rolling the box".

Some of us call this a server reboot. Never before or again heard it described as the above, but I left those environs soon after. Excellent money is one thing but living in (ahem) certain places to earn it is another. Of course walking the beach there at sunset and seeing pelicans overhead is killer and the Austin barbeque and music scene can't be beat! :D

And thanks for the fix.

Not sure if you are taking the piss or not, but this was what the software developers said

Forum_very_slow_-_Page_2_-_Invision_Power_Services_-_2019-01-09_14.08.31.png

Also, we just installed elastic search to relieve pressure from mysql,  we have increased ram from 64 to 128 gig which is a crazy amount, but we needed to increase the buffer pool for the database.

Just throwing something in here,  because often its the obvious fixes which get missed.  Feel free to ignore me ..

Every time I visit a topic , I get taken to the first page by default, whereas what im actually interested in is the last page .. every topic I want to catch up , on every visit to PA .. multiply those hits for  'most' users .. that's a awful lot of processing, when defaulting to the last page 'may' make more sense, and reduce server load.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

39 minutes ago, praf974 said:

Just throwing something in here,  because often its the obvious fixes which get missed.  Feel free to ignore me ..

Every time I visit a topic , I get taken to the first page by default, whereas what im actually interested in is the last page .. every topic I want to catch up , on every visit to PA .. multiply those hits for  'most' users .. that's a awful lot of processing, when defaulting to the last page 'may' make more sense, and reduce server load.

Instead of clicking on the thread title, click on the icon to the left of the title. That will take you to the first unread post and save wear and tear on the server. :wink:

image.png

3 hours ago, LaaMok said:

Not sure if you are taking the piss or not, but this was what the software developers said

Forum_very_slow_-_Page_2_-_Invision_Power_Services_-_2019-01-09_14.08.31.png

Also, we just installed elastic search to relieve pressure from mysql,  we have increased ram from 64 to 128 gig which is a crazy amount, but we needed to increase the buffer pool for the database.

Don't think @CyberPro was taking the piss. Like him, "crashed table" is a term I've not heard before and my career was spent working with databases. The more common term I'm familiar with is corrupted table. I did a Google search and most hits came up in reference to MySQL, so probably it's a term that's unique to that database environment.

Anyhoo, thanks for the investment in the server upgrade. Speed has noticeably improved. Hopefully one day, when the dust settles, we'll get post numbers back. :)

• 3 months later...

@kgbagent, how is the move of image files to a new server going? Still seeing broken image links in posts, so guessing this is taking longer than expected. Any idea of when the migration will be completed?

[mention=39070]kgbagent[/mention], how is the move of image files to a new server going? Still seeing broken image links in posts, so guessing this is taking longer than expected. Any idea of when the migration will be completed?

Just so many of the buggers and no way of speeding it up

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

sun14.jpg

4 minutes ago, kgbagent said:

Just so many of the buggers and no way of speeding it up

Understand it can be a time consuming process. Is there a % complete status on the file transfer?

Understand it can be a time consuming process. Is there a % complete status on the file transfer?
Was about 12% last night I think I heard

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

sun14.jpg

I can't imagine how difficult it is to maintain the forum, I appreciate it is as a great resource for our community. I look forward to it being up and running again pix and all.  Thank you 

On 03/05/2019 at 15:52, forcebwithu said:

On 03/05/2019 at 15:55, kgbagent said:

Was about 12% last night I think I heard

Almost at 35% at the moment. 12 % was a while ago, don't want to give a false impression of the "speed".  Got to be the slowest migration for a software I have ever dealt with, no bloody idea why it takes so long  :Dunno1:

9 minutes ago, Sam Beckett said:

I can't imagine how difficult it is to maintain the forum, I appreciate it is as a great resource for our community. I look forward to it being up and running again pix and all.  Thank you 

Moving the images is the first stage of a two staged migration to hopefully bring more stability in the future. The past few "upgrades" have been brutal. The current migration is to help mitigate that going forward.

31 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

Almost at 35% at the moment. 12 % was a while ago, don't want to give a false impression of the "speed".  Got to be the slowest migration for a software I have ever dealt with, no bloody idea why it takes so long 

Are you running that migration directly on the server or localy ?

The "best practice" is to test it localy first and during the migration, close the forum, do the upgrade localy then last step, upload the new files/database to the server.

You can even start to transfer the images folder before the migration and during the FTP transfer copy the files only if they dont exist or have a different size: it will speed up the migration because you"ll transfer only the few new images.

39 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Are you running that migration directly on the server or localy ?

I'm not doing anything, I'm just a mod :D 

It's being doing on the server as per Invision's advice using the inbuilt ... slow as hell ... functionality. Not having looked at the code not sure why they do things the way they do but it's ridiculously slow IMO.

49 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

The "best practice" is to test it localy first and during the migration, close the forum, do the upgrade localy then last step, upload the new files/database to the server.

Indeed, but the thing that takes the time (and again, not having looked at the code, not sure why they've written it the way they have) is all the reindexing it does so closing the site would be for days if not weeks, not the hour or so I am used to with other scripts.

51 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

You can even start to transfer the images folder before the migration and during the FTP transfer copy the files only if they dont exist or have a different size: it will speed up the migration because you"ll transfer only the few new images.

Again, I think the way it's written is ... questionable. At the moment it's transferring to new location then deleting from old, not 100% but I think it's reindexing too. Why it doesn't just compress the whole directory, transfer, uncompress I have no idea (has to be something to do with the way it messes with file names and references images in the database). 

Archived