Jump to content

Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | ChicaCheck | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Line App


lincsfun

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know how to appear offline to your contact list whilst using the app?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think that there is a way, why not set your status message in your profile as that may be enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Downandup said:

I don't think that there is a way, why not set your status message in your profile as that may be enough.

I can not tell if any of my contacts are online or not. What gives you away from them knowing you are line is that when you read messages or if you haven’t blocked them from seeing your timeline.

i have 1 girl who I won’t read her messages when I’m with my wife because she is a 50% chance of calling 555

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Line does not have a feature that allows you to be offline. On the upside, none of your contacts can see you’re using the app unless (as stated above) you read a previously unread sent message. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya I've been using line for a while now and there is no feature to show you online. But i have read that they are planning this in the near future as a feature upgrade. 

At this present time the only way to tell that your online is that if you have read the message and as previous members of this thread have already mentioned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you save contacts when changing phone, and reload onto new phone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ronthebrummie said:

Can you save contacts when changing phone, and reload onto new phone?

Yes but you need to register your email address in your profile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I never heard of line before I reactivated my account here last month and started studying for my trip next month.  I just assumed that no one was using it here in Phils, Whatsapp seems to be very popular here.   I just got a message from Johah, no picture just hi.  Ask "where are you?", "Angeles", "girl?", "yes", "picture please?".  Photo quickly appeared, a freelancer I saw a few times a few years back.  Last time I saw her she stole my cell phone.  Block and delete!   It was only a 350p Nokia copy, but it had all my girls contact numbers in it.  

Now a question.  I downloaded Line on my desktop and that is where I have been using it.  Yesterday I got the Line App on my phone and when I went to sign in it said if I signed in my phone I would loose all my content from my computer!   So I didn't sign in.  Can one of you techie guys tell me if there is a way around this?  I will either want it on my laptop and or cell phone next when I come to Pattaya, and there are a few contacts I want to keep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jwelgr said:

I never heard of line before I reactivated my account here last month and started studying for my trip next month.  I just assumed that no one was using it here in Phils, Whatsapp seems to be very popular here.   I just got a message from Johah, no picture just hi.  Ask "where are you?", "Angeles", "girl?", "yes", "picture please?".  Photo quickly appeared, a freelancer I saw a few times a few years back.  Last time I saw her she stole my cell phone.  Block and delete!   It was only a 350p Nokia copy, but it had all my girls contact numbers in it.  

Now a question.  I downloaded Line on my desktop and that is where I have been using it.  Yesterday I got the Line App on my phone and when I went to sign in it said if I signed in my phone I would loose all my content from my computer!   So I didn't sign in.  Can one of you techie guys tell me if there is a way around this?  I will either want it on my laptop and or cell phone next when I come to Pattaya, and there are a few contacts I want to keep.

When you switch between devices your contacts are saved but the message content is not. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dr No said:

When you switch between devices your contacts are saved but the message content is not. 

that's not true assuming you switch from phone to another phone. you can keep the contacts and ALSO keep the chat messages.
but, to copy the messages, you need to consider the following: 
- you need to have a line account registered (email + password)
- you need to manually create a backup of your line messages first (in settings, go to "chats" and at the top you find "backup & restore chat history"). do that and you create a backup of your chats on google drive. 

then on the new phone, log into your account and it asks you if you want to restore your chat history and it's easily done and automatically imported. (i just did this today; it works 100% on android, i assume there's a way for backups on iphone as well, but you need to look for yourself)

now in your case, coming from a desktop (and never having used a phone before): i honestly have no idea if it's in any way possible to achieve the same. i quickly checked on the desktop app and didn't see a possibility to create a backup. (normally, if you use a phone to register your account originally, the desktop does simply mirror the phone status, so all chats are automatically synced to your phone). 

my recommendation: make sure that you have an account created on the desktop. then log into the same account on your phone. chances of you keeping the contacts is very high. chances of you keeping the chat history is ~50/50 if i have to make a guess. but better to lose it now than never to be able to use line on your phone. 

Join us for the next PA bar crawl: Dec 11th 2022, hosted by Marco & Pete

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jwelgr said:

Last time I saw her she stole my cell phone.  Block and delete! 

I would have said "Great, I'll meet you at X ... oh, and BTW, bring the phone you stole from me last time please, I want to use it as a butt plug on you."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, petehoax said:

that's not true assuming you switch from phone to another phone. you can keep the contacts and ALSO keep the chat messages.
but, to copy the messages, you need to consider the following: 
- you need to have a line account registered (email + password)
- you need to manually create a backup of your line messages first (in settings, go to "chats" and at the top you find "backup & restore chat history"). do that and you create a backup of your chats on google drive. 

then on the new phone, log into your account and it asks you if you want to restore your chat history and it's easily done and automatically imported. (i just did this today; it works 100% on android, i assume there's a way for backups on iphone as well, but you need to look for yourself)

now in your case, coming from a desktop (and never having used a phone before): i honestly have no idea if it's in any way possible to achieve the same. i quickly checked on the desktop app and didn't see a possibility to create a backup. (normally, if you use a phone to register your account originally, the desktop does simply mirror the phone status, so all chats are automatically synced to your phone). 

my recommendation: make sure that you have an account created on the desktop. then log into the same account on your phone. chances of you keeping the contacts is very high. chances of you keeping the chat history is ~50/50 if i have to make a guess. but better to lose it now than never to be able to use line on your phone. 

It is true but I didn’t answer his question entirely. 

If a user simply wants to retain contacts then as long as the Line account is registered to an email address then signing in on another device will ensure all contacts are retained. 

The part I missed was him wanting to retain content, where I agree he would need to as you advise, back up chat history first and then see what happens from a desktop. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An update.  Getting ready to leave tomorrow so I loaded and opened Line on my phone.  Contacts there but no content.  Downloaded on my laptop and opened,  Contacts and content both there!  So all is good.  Only worry I have is tomorrow when I pull my Phils sim card out and put in a Thai sim, wonder if that is going to give me some grief!  Not a problem since I have my laptop and I can use it for Line, plus I am damn near as deaf as those girls at Nana plaza and never hear my phone anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/04/2019 at 02:21, Catfish1950 said:

An update.  Getting ready to leave tomorrow so I loaded and opened Line on my phone.  Contacts there but no content.  Downloaded on my laptop and opened,  Contacts and content both there!  So all is good.  Only worry I have is tomorrow when I pull my Phils sim card out and put in a Thai sim, wonder if that is going to give me some grief!  Not a problem since I have my laptop and I can use it for Line, plus I am damn near as deaf as those girls at Nana Plaza and never hear my phone anyway.

Line contacts are in the Line app. Nothing to do with the SIM and frankly I think the day of saving contacts on the SIM are long behind us.

If you remove the Philippine SIM and have no SIM at all, assuming the phone itself works (without a SIM card at all some get cranky),  you can still use Line with wi-fi.

If you want/need to be super secret when creating a Line account, you can put in a SIM (from anywhere that works where you are), activate Line with the SMS to that phone number,  set up your user ID and then throw out that SIM and use a new SIM or wi-fi and it still works. 

In other words, Line uses the SIM once to set up the account then could care less about the phone number other than to send SMS to confirm the account. 

After Line is set up it is important to link it to an e-mail account with a password, so if you change phones you can reactivate Line with the e-mail address because that original SIM would be in the ocean or wherever you threw it out. That is the drawback of the SIM use for all message apps like this. If you ever want to resuscitate the account, Line expects to be able to send a SMS to the original number. So back it up.

For people who come once a year or twice a year their Thai SIM usually is dead as a smelt but when you come back and you put in a new SIM Line still works. Or airport wi-fi etc. Just be mindful of the SMS issue. 

I am at home using Line on my Thai phone with two SIM slots and no working SIM card at all, no probs. 

You can also back up and restore the chats, useful if switching phones. Line help for backup and restore using Google Drive here:

https://help.line.me/line/android/?contentId=20005077

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.



  • COVID-19

    Any posts or topics which the moderation team deems to be rumours/speculatiom, conspiracy theory, scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed - as will BMs repeatedly doing so. Existing rules also apply.

  • Advertise on Pattaya Addicts
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.