Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

MrDK

Public Holidays and Bar Closures in Thailand

MrDK

Ok.... wtf is this:

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/alcohol-control-strategy-applied-15-july/

National no alcohol day on july 15th (friday). Seriously wtf?!

Someone pls tell me that Pattaya bars and gogos stay open and sell alco all night long... These new "rules" are getting out of hand.

Sounds more like a plea than a mandate to me.

A similar one inadvertently cause bar closures on Mother's day in 2014 on Phuket.

That "memo" was a plea or recommendation, but not a mandate.

Even substitution days for the most observed Buddhists days are not "bar closure days", but merely an adjacent weekday for governments, schools, banks and alike to close when the holiday is on a weekend day.

Other than now 5 specific Buddhist holidays (pre-2015 used to be 4) where bar closures are imminent there is only fathers day to even keep in mind.

On my calendar Farter's Day was recently downgraded from "High" to "Medium" and within a year or two without closures will become "Low"

Tommy L

I asked from two thai girls who work in beer bar. Both said july 15th can not sell alcohol :(

Only after midnight.

But i bet lots of "tea" and "coffee" will be served :)

brewster

It will be interesting to see if the PM's no alcohol day on the 15th is observed in any way!

misteregg

Looks like the letter will say closed for two days.

We shall see.

MrDK

Looks like the letter will say closed for two days.

We shall see.

Maybe you will be lucky and the Thais will forget two back-to-back Buddhist holidays :)

misteregg

Maybe you will be lucky and the Thais will forget two back-to-back Buddhist holidays :)

Larrs, I want some time off mate 555

Heathen69

Oh there's a holiday during my stay. Good to know...now I will hit the liquor store the day before and send out some text for others to join me in my hotel.

MrDK

Oh there's a holiday during my stay. Good to know...now I will hit the liquor store the day before and send out some text for others to join me in my hotel.

When is your stay?

just hanging

tomorrow night Walking Street bars closed at 12

MrDK

tomorrow night walking street bars closed at 12

Why?

Spellforce

I still don't understand what's planed today 15th july, the only thing I see is that the price of whisky has been raised a few bahts in 7-eleven.

MrDK

I still don't understand what's planed today 15th july, the only thing I see is that the price of whisky has been raised a few bahts in 7-eleven.

As predicted the 15th was a day of observation and nothing more.

Read Thai-Visa where people cannot "get enough" and some announced the 16th now that the 15th is water under the bridge.

:LOL:

Nitwit1

Are the bars definitely closed on the 16th October? Fuck I hate it when that happens!!!

MrDK

Are the bars definitely closed on the 16th October? Fuck I hate it when that happens!!!

Prior to last year there were four Buddhist holidays where bar closures were certain.

Late 2014 the End of Buddhist Lent Day (Wan Awk Phansa) was announces as a fifth starting 2015.

Sure enough it was a closure day.

No announcement has been made that it should not be one on a forward basis, so I would treat it as certainty although this is a case that needs to play itself out for a few years before it can be accurately classed.

A closure, if applicable, will likely be enforced sometimes after (often shortly after) 00:00:01 on the 16th and remain in effect till 23:59:59 (or shortly before) on the same day.

Expect bars to be hopping (& hoping) up till midnight the night before.

After midnight (17 Oct) many bars will open, but some that sees most of their revenue before midnight will call it a night off.

If alcoholic beverages is a must surely they can be found, but better stock up.

If intimate company is a must make arrangements a day before (like a two-day bar fine) or enjoy the increased activity on Beach Road (coconut bar).

You may hate when this happens, but at least you can now be prepared ... good luck.

Nitwit1

Prior to last year there were four Buddhist holidays where bar closures were certain.Late 2014 the End of Buddhist Lent Day (Wan Awk Phansa) was announces as a fifth starting 2015.Sure enough it was a closure day.No announcement has been made that it should not be one on a forward basis, so I would treat it as certainty although this is a case that needs to play itself out for a few years before it can be accurately classed.A closure, if applicable, will likely be enforced sometimes after (often shortly after) 00:00:01 on the 16th and remain in effect till 23:59:59 (or shortly before) on the same day.Expect bars to be hopping (& hoping) up till midnight the night before.After midnight (17 Oct) many bars will open, but some that sees most of their revenue before midnight will call it a night off.If alcoholic beverages is a must surely they can be found, but better stock up.If intimate company is a must make arrangements a day before (like a two-day bar fine) or enjoy the increased activity on Beach Road (coconut bar).You may hate when this happens, but at least you can now be prepared ... good luck.

Cheers, thanks a lot for the info, looks like a few in the fridge and 1 in the bed then.

ROCKFORD1

In the UK there is a Go Sober in October Campaign. No alcohol for the month. Luckily, I will be in Pattaya for most of it.

MrDK

In the UK there is a Go Sober in October Campaign. No alcohol for the month. Luckily, I will be in Pattaya for most of it.

Maybe you will be lucky to encounter the a Thai bar closure on 16 October :)

Geordie59

People who live here go overboard no alcohol days. They don't bother me a bit as there are still plenty of days left in a year to piss it up. 
I can see the point of complaints from tourists though. I remember catching 3 days off in a 7 day visit not that long ago.

Edited by Geordie59

MrDK
Geordie59, on 15 Sept 2016 - 01:28 AM, said:

People who live here go overboard no alcohol days. They don't bother me a bit as there are still plenty of days left in a year to piss it up. 

I can see the point of complaints from tourists though. I remember catching 3 days off in a 7 day visit not that long ago.

I think most can deal with closures so long as they are not caught off guard (hence an attempt to assist with this thread)

The worst is arriving on such day as your first day of a short vacation.

deadpool

I guess they also close during heavy rains and floods

jak patel

my last night will be oct 15, 2016 and the plane leaves on 16th evening.

will the bars close as soon as the clock strikes 12 and the date changes?

MrDK
jak patel, on 21 Sept 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:jak patel, on 21 Sept 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

my last night will be oct 15, 2016 and the plane leaves on 16th evening.

will the bars close as soon as the clock strikes 12 and the date changes?

That, or close to it, has been the protocol for the last two or three years.

Some bars manage to stretch a little some more.

In high traffic areas like WS and LK it is generally pretty firm, though close-by sometimes less firm.

Depending on you desires, ... whatever do or want to confirm settle as much as you can before midnight ... additional time in some venues as offered will just be a bonus :)

From OP:

banner_pa.png

exceptions.png

footer_pa.png

copyright_800_dark_blue.png

jak patel

So when the bars close do all the BGs come on the beach road looking for customers or just go home?

What would be best?

1.talk to a bar girl before midnight and exchange phone numbers and book her for after the bar closes and save on BF?

2.Get your LT latest by 10 p.m. and continue to party in the room after that?

3.go to the brach road and look for free lancers?

the last night of vacation is when i burn all my money and have the most amount of fun, so need to know and plan accordingly.

MrDK

So when the bars close do all the BGs come on the beach road looking for customers or just go home?

I could not tell you "how many", but certainly far from all

Some are just content with going to bed early five times a year when it is not even a day off in preparation for their spiritual days.

What would be best?

1.talk to a bar girl before midnight and exchange phone numbers and book her for after the bar closes and save on BF?

That method has been discussed many times on the board (bar-closure holidays or not) and while that will always be an option many will say it is a bit unfair to negotiate a transaction in business venue that negates the business model of the very business.

2.Get your LT latest by 10 p.m. and continue to party in the room after that?

Good idea IMO.

Remember you may also find a treasure the day before and BF her for two days.

3.go to the brach road and look for free lancers?

Always an option and I am sure it will be busier than normal

the last night of vacation is when i burn all my money and have the most amount of fun, so need to know and plan accordingly.

I have said it often and will say it again.

When a first or last day of a vacation lands on a bar-closure day it is the worst case scenario; especially if the vacation is short.

That said there is nothing you can do about it and be glad you read about it a month before so you plan accordingly.

Good luck to party hard all the "available hours" of the 15th :)

jak patel

Good idea IMO.

Remember you may also find a treasure the day before and BF her for two days.

I have said it often and will say it again.

When a first or last day of a vacation lands on a bar-closure day it is the worst case scenario; especially if the vacation is short.

That said there is nothing you can do about it and be glad you read about it a month before so you plan accordingly.

Good luck to party hard all the "available hours" of the 15th :)

I will use option #2 first in that case.

And yes, you are absolutely right, about getting the information in advance. I have heard some horror stories where a few friends experienced these dry days and that ruined a complete day for them

As a tourist coming from Pakistan, where every day is a dry day - (unless you are ready to pay $70 for a bottle of JD or BL and sit in an expensive restaurant and pay $200 to $300 for a dinner of 4 to 5) i would like to have as much fun as possible on every night of the day. 

I stumbled across this post just browsign throw the Forum and I am sure some of the others visiting around this time would be oblivous and disappointed at midnight of the 15th. 

One more advice, since the 15th will be closed, I am thinking of moving from the hotel i am staying at to a villa with a private pool near jometien and take all the honies and the liquor there (we will be 3 friends so at least 3 -4 BGs) and continue the party there. What say you? 

would also appriciate some guidance on getting a villa cause i never stayed one when in Patts