MrDK

Public Holidays and Bar Closures in Thailand

cruman999

Thanks for that, I know the Metro I stayed there a couple of years ago. great bar for watching Sport to.

gentleenforcer

Apparently October 14th and 23rd(Chulalongkorn Rama V Day) are both public holidays (going by another website)...are these days both dry days and will bars be open on these days?

davidge
On 21/05/2019 at 14:35, davidge said:

Just to add to the previous post, there are now more Government/Office Holiday Days. We need to be aware of all of these eg in case a visit to Immigration is needed for some reason. 5 of these are general bar closure days. A couple more have occasionally been closure or part-closure days.

THAILAND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS

The holidays are: 

New Year’s Day (Jan 1) 

Makha Bucha Day (full moon in February) GENERAL CLOSURES

Chakri Memorial Day (April 6) 

Songkran (April 13-15) 

Coronation Day (May 4) 

Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day (May, to be specified) 

Visakha Bucha/Vesak Day (full moon in May) GENERAL CLOSURES

Queen’s Birthday (June 3)

Asaha Bucha Day (full moon in July) GENERAL CLOSURES

Beginning of Lent Day-Wan Khan Phansa(first waning moon in July) GENERAL CLOSURES

King’s Birthday (July 28) 

Queen Mother’s Birthday and National Mother’s Day (Aug 12) 

King Bhumibol Memorial Day (Oct 13) OCCASIONAL CLOSURES

King Chulalongkorn Memorial Day (Oct 23) 

End of Buddhist Lent Day-Wan Awk Phansa (3 months after start of Lent on full moon) GENERAL CLOSURES - not a Government holiday.

King Bhumibol’s Birthday Anniversary, National Day and National Father’s Day (Dec 5)  OCCASIONAL CLOSURES

Constitution Day (Dec 10) 

New Year’s Eve (Dec 31).  

Remaining 2019 Closure Days

July 16

July 17

October 13

2020 General Closure Days

February 9

May 6

July 5

July 6

October 1

(E&OE :rolleyes:)

6 minutes ago, gentleenforcer said:

Apparently October 14th and 23rd(Chulalongkorn Rama V Day) are both public holidays (going by another website)...are these days both dry days and will bars be open on these days?

See my post from May.

Taa_Saparot

For those that need a reminder, Sunday the 13th of October is a Buddhist Day, so expect an alcohol ban from Midnight Saturday.

davidge
47 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

For those that need a reminder, Sunday the 13th of October is a Buddhist Day, so expect an alcohol ban from Midnight Saturday.

Yes, and despite the highly misleading headline from the Pattaya News (what a surprise!) that appeared on the forum yesterday, this should be the last dry day this year.

tlock

Came her looking to see if bars are closed today or tomorrow? 

striderman
Just now, tlock said:

shut today. open monday. you might be lucky today but things are tougher for bar owners these days so don't count on it

some may sell beer at midnight a few before. others will have simply closed for a day off and no stress dodging the cops

Edited by striderman

Taa_Saparot
1 hour ago, tlock said:

Two posts above yours ..

On 04/10/2019 at 07:36, Taa_Saparot said:

Edited by Taa_Saparot

Taa_Saparot

Were the bars in the Arab Quarter openly selling alcohol during last weekends Buddhist Day?

Taa_Saparot

Beware, All government offices, including Immigration, are closed on Wednesday 23rd October 2019 for Chulalongkorn Day

froddo
1 hour ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Beware, All government offices, including Immigration, are closed on Wednesday 23rd October 2019 for Chulalongkorn Day

I thought it was to celebrate my 70th. Feeling a bit deflated now:P

petehoax

@davidge @Taa_Saparot

you wrote
"
2020 General Closure Days

February 9

May 6

July 5

July 6

October 1"

are you sure about february 9? the info i see online for macha bucha day is that it's on february 8 (a saturday) and then on the 10th it's the "substitute holiday".
do i understand it correctly that february 8 will be dry then and the 10th is business as usual? 

Edited by petehoax

Taa_Saparot
3 hours ago, petehoax said:

are you sure about february 9? the info i see online for macha bucha day is that it's on february 8 (a saturday) and then on the 10th it's the "substitute holiday".
do i understand it correctly that february 8 will be dry then and the 10th is business as usual? 

I also think its Feb. 8th.

davidge

Most sites say 9 February and that does look like being the full moon. A couple of sites say the 8th. I’ll stick with the 9th for now. 

Yes, whichever day is the actual day will be the closure day. Bars will be open on the Monday.

gentleenforcer

I have been checking my diary for a good time to take my holidays in May 2020. Normally I like to fit in some good footy games and next year the 1st State of Origin (for some ridiculous reason is being played in Adelaide) and is on June 3rd which is also the Queens Birthday holiday in Thailand. Will the bars be closed on this day or not serving alcohol? I cannot imagine Retox having the Origin festivities if they are not allowed by law to sell alcohol. So my question is...is the Queens Birthday a bar closure day?

Taa_Saparot
52 minutes ago, gentleenforcer said:

.is the Queens Birthday a bar closure day?

No

davidge
2 hours ago, gentleenforcer said:

I have been checking my diary for a good time to take my holidays in May 2020. Normally I like to fit in some good footy games and next year the 1st State of Origin (for some ridiculous reason is being played in Adelaide) and is on June 3rd which is also the Queens Birthday holiday in Thailand. Will the bars be closed on this day or not serving alcohol? I cannot imagine Retox having the Origin festivities if they are not allowed by law to sell alcohol. So my question is...is the Queens Birthday a bar closure day?

3 posts above yours petehoax quoted my previous post with 5 of the 6 probable closure days in 2020 - he left April 6 out.

In May, Visakha Bucha Day on the 6th is a closure day. The next closure days after that are in July.

Chicagoarc
On 18/11/2019 at 20:54, petehoax said:

I was under the impression it was the 10th. I am only referring to what I have seen listed online and not any firsthand knowledge of the actual day. It would be a bummer to lose a Saturday vs a Monday of shenanigans, but I will have to endure it either way. 

davidge
9 minutes ago, Chicagoarc said:

I was under the impression it was the 10th. I am only referring to what I have seen listed online and not any firsthand knowledge of the actual day. It would be a bummer to lose a Saturday vs a Monday of shenanigans, but I will have to endure it either way. 

When the actual day is on a weekend then the ‘office holiday’ is on the Monday so people still get a day off. Any sites listing the 10th are giving the office holiday NOT the closure day which will be on the actual day of the full moon. 

As you’ll see from the previous discussion, there’s often uncertainty trying to work out the actual date but I’m sticking with saying the 9th though a couple of sites suggest it could be the 8th.

Taa_Saparot
45 minutes ago, davidge said:

As you’ll see from the previous discussion, there’s often uncertainty trying to work out the actual date but I’m sticking with saying the 9th though a couple of sites suggest it could be the 8th.

I agree with you, that the Full Moon is the 9th.

Maybe better to go with a Moon Calendar instead of all these websites listing public holidays in future.

Having said that, it will still ruin the nights of the 8th and 9th anyway.

BeijaFlor

I just pulled it up on LunaSolCal, with the location set for Pattaya, and that says the full moon is Sunday, Feb 9, at 2:34 PM Indochina time. Sorta sucks for me, because I fly home the next morning ... I guess the best thing would be to lay in some beer & booze, and get some girl's digits for "dinner and boom-boom."

Explorer8939

I am told that December 5, the King's birthday, is supposed to be alcohol free, but I wasn't in a bar, so I don't know.

Edited by Explorer8939

Taa_Saparot
7 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

I am told that December 5, the King's birthday, is supposed to be alcohol free

Wrong.

dave01
1 hour ago, Explorer8939 said:

I am told that December 5, the King's birthday, is supposed to be alcohol free, but I wasn't in a bar, so I don't know.

Not for a few years now....