IGNORED

Dual Pricing

Taa_Saparot

Tell em to shove it where the sun don't shine.......

The marketing genius that produced that ad is an idiot. If he wanted to let Thais know about a discount there was no need to insult the foreigners by putting the two disparate prices side-by side. Could have used an ad that had no English in it at all (including the numbers) to make it a little more discreet that they are screwing the foreigners.

The World over, many golf courses give a better rate to local residents over visitors.

But clearly that is not what is going on here.

Simply Racism IMO.

Thailand in a nutshell.

Floating markets...2 prices.

Art in Paradise....2 prices.

Probably many more examples.

Why not charge a bit more for tourists....after all, generally, Westerners are far better off than Thais.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

On 03/01/2019 at 19:33, Taa_Saparot said:

The World over, many golf courses give a better rate to local residents over visitors.

But clearly that is not what is going on here.

Simply Racism IMO.

Local and foreign are two very different things. I dont have a problem with "locals" getting discounts.

When the Amazon waterpark opened they advertised cheaper rates to "locals" but charged higher rates to all non Thais. Time Warner were notified and it was quickly fixed and now "locals", of all nationalities get the lower price.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Dual pricing is everywhere in Thailand. Generally they are poorer than tourists so I don't have a problem with it. Only thing I don't like is asian tourists getting the thai discounted price.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the one person price is the same. In fact, two foreigners staying separately is cheaper than the twin package. Probably a typo, so they may or may not honor it. TIT.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I played Pattaya CC it was heavily overbooked and horrendously slow. There was four groups waiting by the tee on the first par 3 (luckily a drinks stop), and the marshal decided to slot a Korean five ball in front of us at the turn. Five hour round.

It's close to Pattaya so gets plenty of two week tourist golfers willing to pay the price. Not worth the money whatever they charge in my view.

• 2 weeks later...

You wouldn't get that over here in Scotland now would you?

Scottish £25

English £50

American £150

Japanese £250

• 2 months later...

Same thing here in the Philippines.  Local price and foreigner price.  However if you have a residence visa you are supposed to get the local price by law.  But I've had to get the lady from the local Philippine Retirement Authority involved on occasion.  Of course this only for published prices.  My wife has never let me go with her to the local produce market here, says if the people she normally buys from see's us together she will always have to pay the skin tax too.

Same same for Koreans here too.  Asians are not foreigners.  My wife fully believes this herself, even though she has never been able to explain the concept to me!

I avoid dual pricing places so I don't see it much these days. Pattaya City Hospital charged too much the other day, City Hall balked at what they charged me for Rabies injection. Bang Lamung Hospital subsequently charged a fair price

Its been the same since I moved here 30 years ago, and probably long prior to that. It will be hard to ever change it becasue you have to change the mindset of virtually an entire nation - and here's why.

If you go in any Facebook group for Thais, or the larger English language groups that get used by (educated) Thais the conversation goes like this - always

Q. Why do you have double pricing?
A. (by Thais) Its the same in every country in the world!

We all know its not, but the fact that they genuinely believe this means it will be hard to change.

Its very similar to their attitude to Visas - again i am quoting generally from Thai language forums and grou7ps.

Q. Why do you make it so difficult for me to stay in your country?
A. (by Thais) Why do you make it almost impossible for me to even go to your country as a tourist.

Both issues are about a very generally held perception that Thailand is only doing what every other country in the world does. The fact that 99% of the "complaints" are on English language forums, groups etc means the people who make the decisions never see them!

I am NOT excusing either - just trying to add a dimension to a rather tired old argument.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I was ready for revenge last weekend.  We had a garage sale and I was going to charge any Thais a 500%    Premium

Sadly, no Thais came to my garage sale in country Victoria.   Damn.

Archived