IGNORED

Synology

Roadglide

I know that some of the other board members have Synology NAS units.  I think they are great for many things.  I have mine set up so that I can connect to my network anytime I want.  One of the negatives is that I would get hacking attempt from IP address that are in Russia and elsewhere.  The way to combat this is to use a geographical IP block.  Synology now lets you block IP address by country, I blocked not only Russian, but also China, and North Korea.  

My old girlfriend was into Synology as well.  To me it was just too cultish and Tom Cruise should just stick to what he knows best and thats action movies.

There has to be more secure ways to access it.  Maybe only allow access from IPv6 or set it up so you can VPN into it before you access your files.  Synology is great for usability but it comes at a grave security cost as bugs are found and the software isn't updated to patch the security holes.

I would think that allowing VPN access would break the geolocation block he set up since hackers could just use VPN to get around that themselves.  Is the device behind a firewall?  That is probably the best way to protect it and I think you could set it up to only allow your devices to connect by blocking all MAC addresses except for your devices.  It can be a pain to manage that but it would probably be the most effective way to block it.

What are you using the NAS box for that you couldn't just use a large USB thumb drive for?  They are cheaper and you can easily carry it with you if you need to access something while away from home.  I can't say that will eliminate all hacking attempts against you but I have a feeling the ones that you are seeing are happening because the hackers want to leverage some of the functionality the NAS boxes provide most likely their webserver capabilites.

I don’t allow access from outside my network. My firewall blocks all incoming requests. All ports are closed for requests from outside my network.

I access my Synology through my Windows 10 machine. I access my Windows 10 machine outside my network through TeamViewer.

He's specifically allowing access via their remote access tool inside the Synology NAS.  If he allowed VPN then it'd probably be more secure because their remote tool might have issues with security.  Synology also has a package for VPN access.  Yes, you can blacklist whole blocks of IP's but that can change.  I'd probably see if you can use a 2 factor authentication way to access your files rather than rely on Teamviewer which introduces their own security issues.

People like to access all their files remotely.  You're never going to block all the people from trying to access it but you can beef up security to more than just one password to access it.  VPN implementations allow 2fa which will allow you to get your files and not rely on synology.

Archived