Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jomtien: Bel Canto

ChiFlyer

I debated a little with myself whether or not to post this one. I decided that the bad and indifferent mattered as much as the good and the great.

First off this place does not fall under the "bad" heading.

This place opened two weeks ago next to Anna's near the Aiyree hotel.

IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.0dc4499451ddce0c6b076fc57eabb5c0.JPG

I lived in Paris for a few weeks once and skipped the place across the street, just because it was so close by. On a return visit years later I discovered that it was really good. I now try new nearby restaurants.

This one is not great so far. They promote themselves as Tapas, Pizza, Thai, and Italian. That is a broad range. The best item we were served was the Pad Thai. At 80 baht it was very good. Red wine glasses are 120. They say they are a Tapas place, but they mean Italian Tapas better known as Antipasto. I ordered one just to try and was a little disappointed.

IMG_2063.thumb.JPG.180963fa34d22a3b35e4d6b71cfd3432.JPG

All in all, it is ok, but I am unlikely to return soon.

51 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

I would be very happy with this antipasto....

The antipasto was not cheap. I think it was 320 or thereabouts.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

The antipasto was not cheap. I think it was 320 or thereabouts.

Yeah, as we know, value depends on whether it came from Makro etc, or if it's quality. 90% of the time here it isn't :wacko:

So-called Parma ham often originates nowhere near Italy, forget the tiny area around Parma. The real thing, just pork leg and sea salt. Nothing else, no nitrates guaranteed.

I've had some terrible antipasto dishes in this town. The restaurant reckons by filling your plate up you'll be impressed.

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

1 hour ago, TWD said:

I've had some terrible antipasto dishes in this town. The restaurant reckons by filling your plate up you'll be impressed.

I was not impressed with the quality of the meats that made up the antipasto. The salami was bland. The parma was, as you described, suspect. The little pepperoni things were zingy and pretty good. The others - eh.

My other problem with the place is about the last thing I need in my restaurant lineup is another Italian place. I already have 4 that I like a lot and that is already more of a carb load than I need.

btw - my 4 are:

Gian's - Best Italian in the greater Pattaya area IMO. It is pricey.

Aquapazza - the chef owner is a former Gian's chef. He has his own style though. Not as pricey.

Little Italy - I discovered this one by accident recently. Good homemade pasta. Priced similar to Aquapazza.

Da Nicola - this is my pizza place.

4 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

.btw - my 4 are:

Aquapazza - the chef owner is a former Gian's chef. He has his own style though. Not as pricey.

Little Italy - I discovered this one by accident recently. Good homemade pasta. Priced similar to Aquapazza.

Aquapazza - great for fresh fish dishes

Gians - kind of fell out of favour with me over a ludicrously expensive crepe Suzette dessert a few years back. Think it was 475 for a pancake, vanilla ice cream scoop, and a splash of Cointreau substitute. Thought that was taking the proverbial. 

Bueno’s was a great find a year back. Wonderful pizzas and pasta and some great offers. Then chef Manuel Indino (Max) left a few months ago. Not been back since. 

Pizza & Co in Pratumnak soi 4 is good, and getting popular. Italian chef owner. 

Not really been greatly impressed, consistently anyway, with others I’ve tried

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

5 hours ago, TWD said:

Gians - kind of fell out of favour with me over a ludicrously expensive crepe Suzette dessert a few years back. Think it was 475 for a pancake, vanilla ice cream scoop, and a splash of Cointreau substitute. Thought that was taking the proverbial. 

With regard to Gian's, I am addicted to their Rigatoni with Calabrese Sausage entree. The Porcini Ravioli with Truffle Sauce is very good as well. Their pasta as it says on the menu is homemade. Their scallopini offerings use veal and not pork like most places. In my case, the GF does not like pasta and there are plenty of very good non-pasta entrees available.

I agree that some of their prices border on ridiculous. Both the GF and I are light eaters so we seldom order much of anything beyond entrees and a few glasses of red house wine.

• 3 months later...
On 22/12/2018 at 18:37, ChiFlyer said:

I was not impressed with the quality of the meats that made up the antipasto. The salami was bland. The parma was, as you described, suspect. The little pepperoni things were zingy and pretty good. The others - eh.

My other problem with the place is about the last thing I need in my restaurant lineup is another Italian place. I already have 4 that I like a lot and that is already more of a carb load than I need.

btw - my 4 are:

I am surprised you put Da Nicola as favourite. I was a fan of the previous restaurant in the same place before: pizz'art which made the most genuine Napolitan pizza around.

Now the new owner is quite friendly but seems to let free reign to its Thai cooking staff (contrary to the previous owner who was checking everything). It has been the first time I refused to eat a pasta dish in Thailand (spaghetti ale vongole). Pizzas are just ok, usually a bit overcooked, too much (bad) garlic in bruschetta. The house wine is not good. For me this place is blacklisted. It's too bad because I love the backyard terrasse.

3 hours ago, magma said:

I am surprised you put Da Nicola as favourite. I was a fan of the previous restaurant in the same place before: pizz'art which made the most genuine Napolitan pizza around.

Now the new owner is quite friendly but seems to let free reign to its Thai cooking staff (contrary to the previous owner who was checking everything). It has been the first time I refused to eat a pasta dish in Thailand (spaghetti ale vongole). Pizzas are just ok, usually a bit overcooked, too much (bad) garlic in bruschetta. The house wine is not good. For me this place is blacklisted. It's too bad because I love the backyard terrasse.

Some valid points. I should make a disclaimer about this place -> Nick is a friend of mine. I like the pizza more than you do and that is what I usually order. The house wine is not good, but he has some bottles for about 1000 that are decent. Since I usually go there with a few friends, we order a bottle of wine, which like I said is decent.

With regard to the former owner, I did like his pizza better and also his salami sandwich. But to be blunt, the guy was a raging asshole. I never once saw him smile. He berated the staff over silly bs. The man needs a new profession. I heard in another thread that he once threatened to deck a customer.

Oh, and the Thai food at Da Nicola is pretty good IMO.

5 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

With regard to the former owner, I did like his pizza better and also his salami sandwich. But to be blunt, the guy was a raging asshole. I never once saw him smile. He berated the staff over silly bs. The man needs a new profession. I heard in another thread that he once threatened to deck a customer.

Assaulting customers is not a good practice in the “hospitality” business.

Recall he broke a guys finger when the customer didn't like the pizza. Now THAT'S Italian. LOL

• 3 months later...

Bel Canto pizza is terrible, greasy and devoid of flavor. Will never eat there again.

Archived