IGNORED

Wine Connection (Royal Garden Plaza Beach Road)

New Wine Connection branch

I would guess a hundred seater or so, bistro style, adjoining the Royal Garden Plaza mall. Should be the perfect location, facing the beach, short walk down from Walking Street. Hope it picks up in the evening; completely deserted from 2 30pm to just before 4pm, couple of weeks ago now not long after opening.

Very keen and friendly service staff. Big range of Western dishes, reasonably priced. The 10% service charge though....

Shared a 390฿ (+10%) cold cuts platter. Good. Decent quality ham, chorizo, saucisson, pate, prosciutto. Dijon mustard, few olives, some nuts, dried fruit. Made for a well-balanced combo. Plenty of fresh bread. Chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream was tasty apparently, though I didn't get to taste any. 

A decent glass of Rioja at 150฿ (+), 150ml. Fresh lime juice 75฿ (+).

Quick stroll around the shop, couple of sub-500฿ wines, typical Wine Connection choice. Asked if they had a printed list I could have, no luck.

Nice addition to the restaurant scene, location should work for them in time. But today it wasn't as if passers-by weren't tempted in. There just weren't any in the first place. As dead as I've ever seen Beach Road, mid to late afternoon, at any time of year.

FB_IMG_1545285311303.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285315799.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285319290.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285322329.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285325346.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285328711.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285332195.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285336353.jpg

FB_IMG_1545285339469.jpg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Thanks for the review. Really appreciated.

Are they allowed to sell alcohol from 11.00 hours till 17.00 hours ? This is usually the time that shops cannot sell any alcoholic products...

Just now, Halfaboy said:

Are they allowed to sell alcohol from 11.00 hours till 17.00 hours ? This is usually the time that shops cannot sell any alcoholic products...

From the shop? Not sure. Certainly the little Wine Connection on Thappraya stopped selling between 2pm and 5pm a while back when the crackdown happened, but not sure if that is still applied.

Most 7/11s etc still won't sell alcohol except during authorised hours

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Just now, Halfaboy said:

It's a restaurant so wouldn't be affected.

I have between to the Wine connection in Phuket and they were always serving alcohol and the place was packed with customers constantly.

19 minutes ago, Dazza118 said:

It's a restaurant so wouldn't be affected.

I have between to the Wine connection in Phuket and they were always serving alcohol and the place was packed with customers constantly.

When I was in Patts in March many restaurants would not sell alcohol during those hours

Just like the last 5 previous restaurants that were in that exact same location that failed and closed down, I expect to see a closing down/ for rent sign in the summer months in this place. This is Pattaya, not Phuket or Bangkok, different clientele. As majority of the tourist come to Pattaya are Chinese and Indians and last time I checked they are not big wine drinkers, hope I'm wrong as the food does look great.

Does it have an outside entrance, like Coffee Club, or is it just open when Royal Garden is?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

3 hours ago, robert said:

When I was in Patts in March many restaurants would not sell alcohol during those hours 

In both Buriram and Rayong the chain restaurants in malls won't serve alcohol during the restricted hours.  The mom and pop places don't care.

16 hours ago, davidge said:

Does it have an outside entrance, like Coffee Club, or is it just open when Royal Garden is?

Big double-fronted premises with access from Beach Road (up a few steps). Didn’t see an access from Royal Garden itself, not sure there is one.

16 hours ago, davidge said:

1326830932_6dec027(Custom).JPG.b47ffbbb537d4117406e49c8faf58ac9.JPG

door in below to right of pic. shop bit to left restaurant to right

324370540_6dec028(Custom).JPG.f028ba1e17f8e7be1e88435a3ce8c1ce.JPG

23 hours ago, TWD said:

Very keen and friendly service staff. Big range of Western dishes, reasonably priced. The 10% service charge though.... 

Shared a 390฿ (+10%) cold cuts platter.

Are you crying about 10% service charge....REALLY....most places have it...plus don't be such a cheap charley

32 minutes ago, The Danimal said:

Are you crying about 10% service charge....REALLY....most places have it...plus don't be such a cheap charley

Lol you don’t know me obviously. I tip a minimum of 10% and often considerably more. But I prefer to tip at my discretion, not to have a gratuity extracted from me by default. And on top of that I like the price on the menu to be the one I am going to pay.

i actually think it is to the advantage of the business. Staff have more of an incentive to give you quality service and food. 

That said, sadly Pattaya has some genuine CCs who hardly tip at all. Me, I would eat out less if I couldn’t afford to reward staff properly for their efforts. 

AND. “Most places” certainly don’t have it. Unless you live in the malls.

Just like the last 5 previous restaurants that were in that exact same location that failed and closed down, I expect to see a closing down/ for rent sign in the summer months in this place. This is Pattaya, not Phuket or Bangkok, different clientele. As majority of the tourist come to Pattaya are Chinese and Indians and last time I checked they are not big wine drinkers, hope I'm wrong as the food does look great.
You probably need to rethink your comment on China / wine drinking .don't know how long since you checked !
Google can help you .
Mooted to become the 2nd biggest wine consumer in the world ,by 2021.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Just now, gusincebu said:

You probably need to rethink your comment on China / wine drinking .don't know how long since you checked !
Google can help you .
Mooted to become the 2nd biggest wine consumer in the world ,by 2021.

Yes your right, I can see their tour bus stopping at that restaurant lining up around the block holding their flag just to get in to drink wine. Again this is Pattaya.

Yes your right, I can see their tour bus stopping at that restaurant lining up around the block holding their flag just to get in to drink wine. Again this is Pattaya.
Oh dear .. another one that thinks all Chinese ( and Indian ) tourists are just the bus tour and hand holding on beach road groups .
Well out of touch with Pattaya tourism sir .

45 minutes ago, TWD said:

Lol you don’t know me obviously. I tip a minimum of 10% and often considerably more. But I prefer to tip at my discretion, not to have a gratuity extracted from me by default. And on top of that I like the price on the menu to be the one I am going to pay.

i actually think it is to the advantage of the business. Staff have more of an incentive to give you quality service and food. 

That said, sadly Pattaya has some genuine CCs who hardly tip at all. Me, I would eat out less if I couldn’t afford to reward staff properly for their efforts. 

AND. “Most places” certainly don’t have it. Unless you live in the malls.

sorry then mate...came across a different way...I agree with you but I'd say most decent places do...though many don't...always check though!

Oh dear .. another one that thinks all Chinese ( and Indian ) tourists are just the bus tour and hand holding on beach road groups .
Well out of touch with Pattaya tourism sir .

i pass this restaurant daily and no chinese anywhere near it, buses are down the road and chinese blocking the pavements.

its just one of these farang priced restaurants where some farang tourists will go

On 20/12/2018 at 17:03, dan2016 said:

The Wine Connection in Phuket was very good when I went there.  I'm glad this one has opened and will visit it soon.

But I understand your point that their clientele might be thin on the ground here, especially at that location.

5 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

i pass this restaurant daily and no chinese anywhere near it, buses are down the road and chinese blocking the pavements.

its just one of these farang priced restaurants where some farang tourists will go

exactly...they see the name in MANY places all over BKK and it becomes a safe spot for them to eat and imbibe

8 hours ago, The Danimal said:

Ihave been in Pattaya over two years now. Never eaten at ++restaurant and propably never will. Yes I'm CC.

5 hours ago, jpmelville said:

Ihave been in Pattaya over two years now. Never eaten at ++restaurant and propably never will. Yes I'm CC.

Never eaten in a restaurant...hard to believe but if true I feel bad for you...that's like saying you live in Thailand for the great weather and clean streets

1 hour ago, The Danimal said:

Never eaten in a restaurant...hard to believe but if true I feel bad for you...that's like saying you live in Thailand for the great weather and clean streets

Let me google it for you. ++ means service+VAT added to the bin. I haven't in eaten any restaurant which adds service+VAT to the bin and propably never will. Capiche?

17 minutes ago, jpmelville said:

Let me google it for you. ++ means service+VAT added to the bin. I haven't in eaten any restaurant which adds service+VAT to the bin and propably never will. Capiche?

I understand...,maybe you don't from my point...I feel sorry for anyone that elects/can't afford to treat themselves to a restaurant and proper food here and there...unless you are a top chef...doubtfully...have your own personal cook...again doubtfully...eating street food and the like is fine ...but god forbid you spend 300 baht in a restaurant and pay 17% on that....you're missing out greatly...just like I would say to someone who only eats in proper restaurants

7 hours ago, The Danimal said:

I understand...,maybe you don't from my point...I feel sorry for anyone that elects/can't afford to treat themselves to a restaurant and proper food here and there...unless you are a top chef...doubtfully...have your own personal cook...again doubtfully...eating street food and the like is fine ...but god forbid you spend 300 baht in a restaurant and pay 17% on that....you're missing out greatly...just like I would say to someone who only eats in proper restaurants

I have a TGF who is really good cook for thai and also for farang food. No need to go to restaurants very often. Have had many 300-500bht meals but none of those restaurants have charged 17% extra. Simples

Archived