Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Monks- Advice Please

The other morning after a night in I was up at dawn.

Staying in the r con right on the corner I was on the balcony watching the world go by.

A monk came walking along and customers from all the food stalls and some girls from local bars would go out and give him some money / food etc and pray in front of him for a couple of mins.

In a 10 minute period maybe 30 girls did this and more were waiting around the corner.

The bit I do not get is no males went up and offered anything or prayed and there was plenty about.

So is it only for the females?

The other morning after a night in I was up at dawn.

Staying in the r con right on the corner I was on the balcony watching the world go by.

A monk came walking along and customers from all the food stalls and some girls from local bars would go out and give him some money / food etc and pray in front of him for a couple of mins.

In a 10 minute period maybe 30 girls did this and more were waiting around the corner.

The bit I do not get is no males went up and offered anything or prayed and there was plenty about.

So is it only for the females?

Interesting, I'm a novice in this area, but I was under the impression that Monks avoided direct contact with women....

Interesting, I'm a novice in this area, but I was under the impression that Monks avoided direct contact with women....

There was no direct contact as such, the monk just opened his "monk suit" and the girl/woman put some money or food in then got down to pray for a couple of minutes then the next girl came up but never did a male step forward

I've seen them do this upcountry, going from house to house in the early morning. Didn't pay attention to whether or not any men approached them.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

• 2 months later...

an important part of Buddhism is making merit which includes doing good deeds and praying regularly. the monks come around every morning so people can make merit for themselves and their families.

I have always found Thai women to be more generous.and decent. Thats probably why.

So far I am yet to find a Thai guy that has been as nice as the girls.

Traditionally it is Thai women that give alms in the morning and generally are more diligent regards their Buddhist beliefs. You have to remember that women are still very much 2nd class citizens in rural Thailand, where the men believe they are above such things. Men are also aware that the majority are in breach of the monks teachings and do not want to be bothered with being told so.

Rural Thai girl children are raised to take care of males from when they are very young, whilst the only thing expected of the boys is to go out and play. It is no different in most villages where, after staying for months, I have only seen one guy giving morning alms and that on one occasion.

Traditionally it is Thai women that give alms in the morning and generally are more diligent regards their Buddhist beliefs. You have to remember that women are still very much 2nd class citizens in rural Thailand, where the men believe they are above such things. Men are also aware that the majority are in breach of the monks teachings and do not want to be bothered with being told so.

Rural Thai girl children are raised to take care of males from when they are very young, whilst the only thing expected of the boys is to go out and play. It is no different in most villages where, after staying for months, I have only seen one guy giving morning alms and that on one occasion.

To those of us of a certain age and a Papist upbringing, this view and variance in religious practice depending on gender is perfectly familiar.

I had a lady monk (i think)dressed in white robes ask me for money for budda in Phuket.gave a small donation ans she gave a bit of string for my wrist.not sure what the crack was but never herd of lady monks.any info ?

Thai Monks start their 'alms' tours every morning where they are given offerings of food and money by the thai people. This usually starts around 5am. Thai women cannot touch a monk. They just give the offering and it will be taken from them by the monk.

As for the women doing it all. There is no tradition or cultured reason. Just the way it is I suppose that the women you saw take their cultural/religious beliefs more seriously than their Thai bf/husband.

Be aware of any monk who is seen late afternoon/early evening. Especially if they are looking for donations. This is NOT the Thai way and the Thai monks will normally be finishing their food (they must not eat after 4 or 5pm or something like that) and do their evening prayers/meditation/chants.

Monks who are walking around after this time are undoubtedly fraudsters. Ive seen many posts on the Thai news sites saying, "Chinese/Cambodian etc monk arrested for walking around asking for donations".

Its quite a serious thing to do this LOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally real Thai monks will not ask for you money or alms and any monk that does ask for alms is normally a phony. If you want to pass money or any other items then you are better visiting any of the many temples around Pattaya.

Also women are not allowed to touch a Monk in anyway not even a brush pass them, if they are passing items they would typically place them in a bag or place where the monk can pick them up.

I've been to a few temples to visit monks and found the whole process very humbling even though I'm not religious at all.

Generally real Thai monks will not ask for you money or alms and any monk that does ask for alms is normally a phony. If you want to pass money or any other items then you are better visiting any of the many temples around Pattaya.

That is totally correct. Thai monks are not allowed out past sun down. Monks are supposed to beg for the sustenance each day and usually eat only one meal a day which is served after the monks make their collections in the morning. As for money that is used towards maintaining the temple.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

The only time men go see monks is when they have marital problems , like its,Ii have been caught and i am a naughty boy. The strings on the wrist are for good luck ,depends on what colour you get . If you have been a bad lad you can become a monk for penance, there are a lot of monks who have been very bad people and are doing it for good Carma

This is good to know. On my last visit a monk came into the bar and started asking everyone for money. I did not offer a donation and the monk got angry with me, eventually I had to to get up and walk away from him. Maybe he was a fake, but his clothing looked authenic.

• 5 months later...

my friend and i was in a bar on soi 7 one day in august and a monk came into the bar,with a 100 baht note between his hands came over to us,i had my doubts because i never see them around in the afternoon,my friend and i gave him 10 baht each,i know the thais love there monks and buddhas,so we didnt want to say no to him,as soon as he was gone,one of the ladys behind the bar said to us "bullshit" so i think we were robbed lol.

going home from Walking Street at 5 or 6 in the morning i seen the monks out,i never seen it before,i was amazed the girls putting money in his basket and paying in front of him then,thailand is so different from ireland,it was great just to see it happening.

I had a lady monk (i think)dressed in white robes ask me for money for budda in phuket.gave a small donation ans she gave a bit of string for my wrist.not sure what the crack was but never herd of lady monks.any info ?

She was a Buddhist "nun" -- they wear white robes -- they are similar to a catholic nun.

The Buddhist nuns can not rise to "monk" level -- they are helping out their local temple monks (to make merit) by doing certain chores around the temple, like cleaning, or other tasks. They generally do this for a few days at a time, living for a while in the temple's housing, and usually do not live in the temple for a long time, like the monks do.

It's usually for 2 or 3 days or so, but some stay longer.

After they finish their merit-making stay at the temple, they remove the white robes and resume normal life again, until the next time they go to "make merit".

Some few Buddhist women go a step further, and become "MAE CHII" -- they become a dedicated full-time Buddhist nun, and shave their heads, always wear the white robes, and pretty much do this full-time, similar to catholic nuns in a convent.

Edited by artinamerica

This is all very interesting for sure and I am learning a whole lot about the culture all right.

I'd rather look at tits, cunts and arseholes than listen to them!

• 4 weeks later...

I often noticed on the bus that monks would not sit next to women or women would swap seats with another man in order to avoid being too close to a monk, I believe it's to do with temptation.

Thai men have to become monks for a period of time--like the draft. Therefor, the men are less likely to support them explicitly because they see it as a rite of passage that they had to go through and expect their countrymen to do as well.

The girls are supporting their spiritual caretakers. Men see themselves as their own spiritual caretaker after having had to go through the monkhood.

That's good advice. Many visitors to Thailand assume that if a man has his head shaved, and is wearing orange clothing, then he is a monk. This unfortunatly isn't the case.

Many unscroupulous Thai men pretend to be monks to solicit "donations" from tourists. The real monks do their rounds very early in the morning, and are given food, and small amounts of money by local people... mostly women for the reasons already given in this thread. they then return to their temples and the donations are used for the good of all... Their meal is served and eaten before mid day.

If you ever see a "Monk" after midday soliciting donations, he is very unlikely to be a real monk.

If you are ever actually approached by a "Monk" and asked for donations... he is not a monk.

If you are ever approached in a bar by a "monk", who will often have a laminated card, with details of his temple, or the charity that he is asking you to donate to, He is not a monk.

If you ever see a monk eat anything after midday, he is not a monk.

If you ever smell alcohol on a "monks" breath, he is not a monk.

If you ever see a "monk" smoking, he is not a monk.

If you ever see a "Monk" asking for money down Walking Street in the evening, or Sukhumvit road in the late afternoon, he is definately not a monk.

If you give money to any of the above "Monks", the chances of your money helping anyone except the fraudster who accepted it is infinitessimaly small.

Many of the crooks who pretend to be monks don't even wear proper monks robes. They wear orange tunics and trousers... dead givaway... if you see a "monk" wearing trousers... he is not a monk.

These crooks do a lot of damage by soliciting donations that might otherwise have gone to some of the many, and sorely needed ,charities in Thailand. If a visitor gives a fake monk 1000 baht, they may think that they had made merit, and done their duty to the poor and disadvanted here. They may feel that they have made a contribution, and that's that done. In fact all they have done is to give the money to a self serving fraudster.

If you do want to make a small contribution to charity whilst you are in Thailand, Buy a cartload of supplies at Big C... staples like rice, other foodstuffs, (Try and avoid food that will go off too soon), cooking oil, washing powder, soap, toothbrushes, maybe a few sweets and biscuits, sandals in a range of childrens sizes, and take them to the local orphanage. Other options include visiting one of the smaller Wats, and making a cash donation, or if you care about animals, there's an organisation in Bangkok called SCAD (Soi Cats and dogs). They rescue and rehome some of the many animals that live on the streets of Bangkok. We adopted a puppy from them this year... a lovely dog.

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

That's good advice. Many visitors to Thailand assume that if a man has his head shaved, and is wearing orange clothing, then he is a monk. This unfortunatly isn't the case.

Many unscroupulous Thai men pretend to be monks to solicit "donations" from tourists. The real monks do their rounds very early in the morning, and are given food, and small amounts of money by local people... mostly women for the reasons already given in this thread. they then return to their temples and the donations are used for the good of all... Their meal is served and eaten before mid day.

If you ever see a "Monk" after midday soliciting donations, he is very unlikely to be a real monk.

If you are ever actually approached by a "Monk" and asked for donations... he is not a monk.

If you are ever approached in a bar by a "monk", who will often have a laminated card, with details of his temple, or the charity that he is asking you to donate to, He is not a monk.

If you ever see a monk eat anything after midday, he is not a monk.

If you ever smell alcohol on a "monks" breath, he is not a monk.

If you ever see a "monk" smoking, he is not a monk.

If you ever see a "Monk" asking for money down walking street in the evening, or Sukhumvit road in the late afternoon, he is definately not a monk.

If you give money to any of the above "Monks", the chances of your money helping anyone except the fraudster who accepted it is infinitessimaly small.

Many of the crooks who pretend to be monks don't even wear proper monks robes. They wear orange tunics and trousers... dead givaway... if you see a "monk" wearing trousers... he is not a monk.

These crooks do a lot of damage by soliciting donations that might otherwise have gone to some of the many, and sorely needed ,charities in Thailand. If a visitor gives a fake monk 1000 baht, they may think that they had made merit, and done their duty to the poor and disadvanted here. They may feel that they have made a contribution, and that's that done. In fact all they have done is to give the money to a self serving fraudster.

If you do want to make a small contribution to charity whilst you are in Thailand, Buy a cartload of supplies at Big C... staples like rice, other foodstuffs, (Try and avoid food that will go off too soon), cooking oil, washing powder, soap, toothbrushes, maybe a few sweets and biscuits, sandals in a range of childrens sizes, and take them to the local orphanage. Other options include visiting one of the smaller Wats, and making a cash donation, or if you care about animals, there's an organisation in Bangkok called SCAD (Soi Cats and dogs). They rescue and rehome some of the many animals that live on the streets of Bangkok. We adopted a puppy from them this year... a lovely dog.

You missed one out..lol

If you ever see a "Monk" touch a woman (even casually) he is definately not a monk.... :Thanks3:

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Great post this ,.,I have enjoyed reading it and learning more about the culture as has been said

My bit of advise to us farangs if we feel compelled to donate is ---- as a lot of us are out v late partying till the early morning is donate or give to a monk that you see the ladies giving to and praying ,,, obviously these monks will be the real deal as the girls will NOT give to fraudsters.

Personally when I go I will most definitely donate something to an early morning monk , if not visit a monastery with a lovely girl who would go with me :Good_Post:

cheers OP'er

Posted Image

• 4 months later...

i remember a few years ago seeing a news story on the tv when i was in pattaya about some monks that had set up a small shack in the country side and were using the donations they received to pay for girls.

the film crew interviewed some locals and inspected the shack... i guess sunday school and bible classes have moved on since i was a lad :Chokdee:

Mostly, men do not offer alms because as stated before, they have a lot to Repent. You may see very old males or young boys but Thai men, very rare. Women CANNOT touch a monk in robes, not even brush against him. ANY contact is totally forbidden.

Here, going to the temple and being a monk for even a week is very common. A close family member dies, you become a monk. You are getting married, you become a monk. There are many reasons to shave your head and wear saffron robes. Because they are a monk does not mean they are holy, criminals are known to hide in temples.

Here is a news story just today about a monk procuring children for foreign paedophiles.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/35501/monk-local-man-nabbed-for-child-abuse

You may see a monk with a mobile phone, even a cigarette. They should renounce worldly goods and not partake in intoxicants....

And women wearing white robes, they are not fully ordained monks, they have given their life to the triple gems of Buddhism. The Dharma,(Teachings) Sangha (Family) and The Buddha. Basically a helper for the temples.

And remember, if a monk or a female in white asks for alms(money etc) They should not be asking you. They either are not a real monk or they don't respect you as a foreigner because they would NEVER ask a Thai. Alms and tamboon (Making merit) MUST ALWAYS be offered!

Yes, you are sexy....But do you take it up the shitter?