IGNORED

4g in Pattaya

taylor1975

I got a DTAC unlimited data sim for 1 month - 800b. Turns out that after you use 9gb of data, the speed drops to 0.3mbps! You can't even load facebook on that. Pointless calling it unlimited, if its unuseable.

The speed in the condo, is my main problem, its so volatile. Occasionally jumps to 10mbps, but for days on end, it sits at 0.2. Maybe averaged out at 2 or 3 over the month. I need decent speed for work stuff and voip calling back to UK. I used phone as a hotspot/usb tethered to laptop.

I've spent nearly 1200b for a months data and had to go to coffee shops for their wifi. 

I could have rented one of those mifi devices - do they improve speed/reliability?

I rarely use 4g in UK, but it seemed stable compared with pattaya, which was all over the place - obviously staying in the same location.

suggestions welcome :)

Just now, Scuba+ said:

I have AIS unlimited, 4mbps,12 months 2500 baht. Truly unlimited, i use as a hotspot for watching movies, youtube and live tv. 30 days 500 baht plus VAT.

https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package-myais

Whilst I didn't choose the best package/provider ....i could cope with the cost, but its the volatility of the speed that frustrates me more.

Its up and down like a yoyo (suitable pattaya pun in there lol)

I found a chap with AIS and we did a speed test together. His was the same, no consistency.

Next time i need wired wifi.

Just now, Scuba+ said:

I have AIS unlimited, 4mbps,12 months 2500 baht. Truly unlimited, i use as a hotspot for watching movies, youtube and live tv. 30 days 500 baht plus VAT.

https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package-myaisf0c5544d573097a417b87f3c1647be61.jpg

There is also a 7 day ontop package called "Mao Mao" for Baht107 unlimited. They say the speed is 1 Mbps but in effect its 4 Mbps.

I've used it on the last two trips and just top it up on line each week.

Called the 

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

Just now, taylor1975 said:

I found a chap with AIS and we did a speed test together. His was the same, no consistency. 

Weird. My AIS connection was always rock solid. Even when traveling from bangkok to pattaya or back all through the highway the connection was great.

Whilst I didn't choose the best package/provider ....i could cope with the cost, but its the volatility of the speed that frustrates me more.
My AIS is consistent but probably depends where you are. Maybe worth testing and paying for one day and see. Maybe changing location is a better idea

9 hours ago, Scuba+ said:
11 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

My AIS is consistent but probably depends where you are. Maybe worth testing and paying for one day and see. Maybe changing location is a better idea

I tried it in tukcom and it was, amazingly, about 20mbps!

but, like in the condo, great one day .....unusable the next

On 16/12/2018 at 14:25, Scuba+ said:

I have AIS unlimited, 4mbps,12 months 2500 baht. Truly unlimited, i use as a hotspot for watching movies, youtube and live tv.

I have the same package from True, and the True SIMs are also available on Lazada for about half the list price of 2500B+VAT.

I find that the 4G signal is very stable even when driving, and even in out of the way places like the road to Pai. It also works fine for streaming TV in hotels. But once I tested their 3G package at the same speed and that was useless.

I certainly get the full 4mbs in my condo, where I have used it as a backup on the very rare occasions when my VDSL has gone down.

I have the same package from True, and the True SIMs are also available on Lazada for about half the list price of 2500B+VAT. I find that the 4G signal is very stable even when driving, and even in out of the way places like the road to Pai. It also works fine for streaming TV in hotels. But once I tested their 3G package at the same speed and that was useless.

I certainly get the full 4mbs in my condo, where I have used it as a backup on the very rare occasions when my VDSL has gone down.

AIS 2500 baht a year has no VAT added on. I saw the Lazada True deal for about 1300 which i may do next time, it means changing sims every year most likely. 

The problem with[mention=106113]taylor1975[/mention] reception may have been because he is up on a high floor in a condo, reported by someone else on another thread

On 16/12/2018 at 02:01, taylor1975 said:

I got a DTAC unlimited data sim for 1 month - 800b. Turns out that after you use 9gb of data, the speed drops to 0.3mbps! You can't even load facebook on that. Pointless calling it unlimited, if its unuseable.

Reading the info at the time where they tell you this is one suggestion. Adding more funds to it at DTAC is another. 

7 hours ago, ricktoronto said:

Reading the info at the time where they tell you this is one suggestion. Adding more funds to it at DTAC is another. 

The dtac menu of plan options ...an a4 sized page with 20 tariffs. The info is negligible and of course you are reliant upon their explanation.

Adding more funds is what i begrudgingly had to do. 

The dtac menu of plan options ...an a4 sized page with 20 tariffs. The info is negligible and of course you are reliant upon their explanation.
Adding more funds is what i begrudgingly had to do. 

I have been following these plans for a while. AIS seems to have the best plans. Any reason not to switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I've noticed recently, today most recent is that the AIS internet suddenly drops, its a rare occurrence but quick fix is switch phone to aeroplane mode and switch off again and internet back to normal, no idea why it does the trick

One thing I've noticed recently, today most recent is that the AIS internet suddenly drops, its a rare occurrence but quick fix is switch phone to aeroplane mode and switch off again and internet back to normal, no idea why it does the trick

Sounds like a problem with the phone. Are you using an iPhone on IOS 12 by any chance?

Sounds like a problem with the phone. Are you using an iPhone on IOS 12 by any chance?

Samsung J7 Pro, newish phone

Samsung J7 Pro, newish phone

Update the software. If it it happens regularly, you should exchange the phone. Usually this is a phone problem.

Update the software. If it it happens regularly, you should exchange the phone. Usually this is a phone problem.

maybe I'll try switching the sims around see if that makes any difference.

its not a big problem and is rare

5 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I have been following these plans for a while. AIS seems to have the best plans. Any reason not to switch?

I will next time. Always used dtac and i know where there shop is, in central mall. I bet AIS is also close by. 

I will next time. Always used dtac and i know where there shop is, in central mall. I bet AIS is also close by. 

In the basement by the Beach Road entance.

On 16/12/2018 at 07:01, taylor1975 said:

The speed in the condo, is my main problem, its so volatile. Occasionally jumps to 10mbps, but for days on end, it sits at 0.2. Maybe averaged out at 2 or 3 over the month. I need decent speed for work stuff and voip calling back to UK. I used phone as a hotspot/usb tethered to laptop.

I've spent nearly 1200b for a months data and had to go to coffee shops for their wifi. 

I could have rented one of those mifi devices - do they improve speed/reliability?

I rarely use 4g in UK, but it seemed stable compared with pattaya, which was all over the place - obviously staying in the same location.

Yes, unfortunately you chose the wrong plan. DTAC has a 90 day 10 Mbps unlimited plan for 1391 baht inclusive @ *104*598#

Cannot speak for your device and the speed issues. Usually rock solid for me.

I've had AIS downloading at 65 Mb/s in the street in LK Metro and 80 Mb/s at Tree Town.

I've tried all of them and sticking with AIS. I mostly use wifi in my room so get by with 3 Gb plan at 399 / month. Unlimited full speed is about 1,750 baht per month.

13 hours ago, hioctane said:

Isn't the True 4Mbs package at half the price (when bought from Lazada) better?

Yes, but you need to faff about and repeat every year with a new sim assuming its available, i doubt I'll bother switching from AIS to True

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/12/2018 at 10:24, Scuba+ said:
On 25/12/2018 at 10:19, KittenKong said:

Yes, but you need to faff about and repeat every year with a new sim assuming its available, i doubt I'll bother switching from AIS to True

You dont need to switch if you have a dual-SIM phone (or possibly a dongle).

To save 1250B I dont mind a bit of faff. If that package is no longer available from True next year I can always buy something else.

Archived