IGNORED

Jomtien: Laong's

ChiFlyer

I did a search on this name and nothing turned up, so I figured I would start a new thread.

This place was originally recommended to me as a good breakfast place. Supposedly, they have a very good Eggs Benedict. They also advertise that they have top level coffee and I tend to believe them, even though I have never tried.

In looking over their website, I thought it was worth a visit for supper tonight.

https://laongs.com/

Very short story is that they have very good food and excellent service and presentation.

Laong's is located on Jomtien Second Road near soi 9 across the street from Rimhad aka Jomtien Beach Condo (JBC) (name correction kudos to KittenKong). There is no direct baht bus service, but you can get here on a motorbike from most anywhere in Jomtien for 40 baht. There are a few negatives on this place. I will hold those to the end.

I was immediately impressed. When we sat down, we were brought a couple of cool towels and a glass of water. These were accompanied by a couple of orchids. The Thai GF liked this and put the flowers in her hair.

The daily special was Pork Scallopini with a mustard sauce. I ordered this for the GF at 295, as she is not that big on Farang food but likes scallopini preparations. They have Thai food, but the the GF tends to like Farang level Thai food less than Farang food. The dish wasn't great, I tried a little, but the sauce was excellent. I was very impressed with the freshness of the accompanying vegetables.

1866707286_Laongs-A.thumb.JPG.e5761af206c30d15b04beb3f249737ef.JPG

I ordered the Tuna Steak over a Mango Salsa for myself at 495. This was very good.

1208058142_Laongs-B.thumb.JPG.081229a13f850d4f939ead7b6c81a2cd.JPG

All in all this is a nice little place with quality food at a fair price. I will return.

About those negatives.

Portions are not huge. I am ok with this, as I already eat too eff'n much.

The glass of wine cost 180 and lets say my glass was in no danger of overflowing.

I'm a regular there for breakfast. It's not the cheapest, but quality. The eggs Benedict varieties are excellent. 

They have a premium coffee - a medium roast Arabica - as of a week or so ago. Very good either as an espresso or cappuccino etc.

Daily specials launched recently, starter plus mains or mains only. Again, so far so good. I'll find some pics and post a recent review later.

• Like 3

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Review from Dec 7th:

The beef goulash soup was authentic and powerful in flavour. Beef pieces tender. Delicious crusty fresh bread and butter. 

Sea bass fillet perfectly cooked, served with a garlic and lemon butter sauce, with sides of perfectly seasoned mash and al dente sauteed vegetables.

I really appreciate the attention to detail of the host and his wife. I mean this in the nicest possible way - two OCD sufferers would struggle to achieve the consistency and high standards required of their staff at Laong's. And that takes some doing in Thailand.

Waitress smiling and attentive, anxious to please. Service prompt.

The cold towel provided on arrival is a nice touch. Enjoyed the new Arabica coffee from Chiang Rai. All round excellence as per usual.

FB_IMG_1544886620526.jpg

FB_IMG_1544886616382.jpg

FB_IMG_1544886625839.jpg

• Like 3

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

They often offer discounts on Eatigo but I’ve not been there as, even with the discounts, they are too expensive for my friends to want to go. I’ll probably try it at some point when I’m on my own in Jomtien.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Its one of the few places I go to eat out, great food everytime

7 hours ago, davidge said:

They often offer discounts on Eatigo but I’ve not been there as, even with the discounts, they are too expensive for my friends to want to go. I’ll probably try it at some point when I’m on my own in Jomtien.

I went once on Eatigo. Maybe I chose the wrong thing from the menu but I was not impressed enough to want to go back, with or without discount.

They used to do some sort of buffet midweek, and some people seem to like that. Dont know if they still do it.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I went once on Eatigo. Maybe I chose the wrong thing from the menu but I was not impressed enough to want to go back, with or without discount.

They used to do some sort of buffet midweek, and some people seem to like that. Dont know if they still do it.

Yeah they do an Italian buffet on Wednesdays starts at 5 pm. It's nothing earth shaking but decent and worth the price (about 300). The lasagna is quite good. 

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I think there's also AYCE ribs on Thursday evenings as well for 395B.

I've never been there, too far away

1 hour ago, SirL said:

I've never been there, too far away

If, like me, you don’t have your own transport and don’t use mototaxis, then it means either walking along Jomtien Second Road from the statue for about 25 minutes or so, or getting off baht bus by Jomtien Beach Condos and walking right through there. I walk much more than that during the day but, tbh, when I’m setting out for the evening to eat then go onto bars it’s more than I want to do. 

Grab is an option but adds a bit to cost of meal.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

6 hours ago, davidge said:

If, like me, you don’t have your own transport and don’t use mototaxis, then it means either walking along Jomtien Second Road from the statue for about 25 minutes or so, or getting off baht bus by Jomtien Beach Condos and walking right through there. I walk much more than that during the day but, tbh, when I’m setting out for the evening to eat then go onto bars it’s more than I want to do. 

Grab is an option but adds a bit to cost of meal.

One other option. In front of the VT2 entrance there is a kiosk of sorts for motorbike drivers. Usually, there are also a guy or two with cars there. I use one of them, when we are going somewhere where a motorbike does not make sense. You would have to negotiate a price and arrange for pickup to return, but I would guess 200 for round trip would get it done in this case.

• 9 months later...

A recent TWD review (September) ...

Quality dinner with the family in Laong's,quality being the key word here. Perfect lasagna,overloaded with cheese,the way I like it,ribs with meat literally felling off the bones,delicious! Absolutely no need for sauces here,the taste of the meat is great. Thai food for the wife,huge portion,beautifully presented,she cleaned the plate and that was a big one. Deep fried shrimp and rice for my little monster. Great restaurant with some of the best customer service I've ever experienced,top staff and the owners are jewels,really a good feeling eating there. The place was full by the way and I love to see this..

47326F27-5F49-4455-B5DE-003834BB1954.jpeg

A3A4A207-9DA3-47D4-B45A-F2EC1B4DA536.jpeg

9EB658F5-2FAB-4A4A-A981-7AC99E70E578.jpeg

BF0DA161-BDFA-4162-9A8D-97AAC4EE69BA.jpeg

237275DE-9397-4173-AFD0-CEEA2FDB1399.jpeg

• Like 1

And this one from a couple of months ago..

Laong's Bistro by Robert Cameron

What a nice dinner at Laong's,  haven't been there for a while and was pleasantly surprised about the high quality and superb taste of the Asian fusion dishes.
We had salmon sashimi,  shrimps,  meatball gratin, honey glazed pork and crab salad with avocado and caviar. 
highly recommended if u around in Jomtien!

BE372E91-31E3-48BE-AAF6-E1233AAEE0E0.jpeg

B5B25228-5840-457E-89EB-499BC7231AE4.jpeg

26EE7B11-596F-40CB-8DB4-F0EF030AC092.jpeg

351095D3-626D-4CE4-94BD-DFE55ACD9182.jpeg

66525AB6-7D16-414B-8CCA-9723951E5C86.jpeg

I've been told they are closing up shop soon. Not told of reason why.

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

I've been told they are closing up shop soon. Not told of reason why.

Let me quash that rumour by saying we have no intention of closing up shop. Please pass that on to whoever told you that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, laongsbistro said:

Let me quash that rumour by saying we have no intention of closing up shop. Please pass that on to whoever told you that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know Pattaya, the rumor mill always works overtime!

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

• 1 month later...
On 15/10/2019 at 20:33, laongsbistro said:

Glad to hear it.

An American friend of mine is a fan of your Thursdays starting at 5 PM All You can Eat Ribs special. I will have to make it over with him sometime, obviously not this Thursday. 

• 4 weeks later...

Made it over for the Thursday Rib Night for the first time. If I remember correctly, it was 390 for the all that you can eat ribs. The plate also comes with fries, corn on the cob, and cole slaw. The ribs were very good. There are two choices of sauce. I went with the traditional barbecue. One plate was more than enough for me. I am not a big eater.

Sorry, in that I forgot to take a few pics. I just dove right into the ribs. I am sure I will make up for that omission in the very near future. 

These are spare ribs, as are most places in the greater Pattaya area. Being from Chicago, I prefer Baby Backs, but that does not seem to be an option.

Short story is that these are some damn good ribs and this is a very good deal.

Seems to be some fine looking food in most pictures posted here.

Any reports on their Thai food?

Where could a fellow view their Menu?

Made it over for the Thursday Rib Night for the first time. If I remember correctly, it was 390 for the all that you can eat ribs. The plate also comes with fries, corn on the cob, and cole slaw. The ribs were very good. There are two choices of sauce. I went with the traditional barbecue. One plate was more than enough for me. I am not a big eater.
Sorry, in that I forgot to take a few pics. I just dove right into the ribs. I am sure I will make up for that omission in the very near future. 
These are spare ribs, as are most places in the greater Pattaya area. Being from Chicago, I prefer Baby Backs, but that does not seem to be an option.
Short story is that these are some damn good ribs and this is a very good deal.

Many thanks for joining us. [emoji120]

Laong’s Bistro
Jomtien 2nd Road
Tel: 0837922379
https://laongs.com

https://g.page/laongsbistro

Line Official: http://nav.cx/gMo76tS

Seems to be some fine looking food in most pictures posted here.
Any reports on their Thai food?
Where could a fellow view their Menu?

We are in the throws of redoing our menus for new year but the current menu and specials etc are on our website. Our Thai menu (Flavours of Siam) has around 50 dishes ranging from the green & panang curry type staples thru to some nice fusion soft shell crab, Seabass and so on. There’s quite a variety.

Laong’s Bistro
Jomtien 2nd Road
Tel: 0837922379
https://laongs.com

https://g.page/laongsbistro

Line Official: http://nav.cx/gMo76tS

Many thanks.

That menu looks inspirational, even make a boring pork chop sound tasty. 

Will swing by in the next few days. Proper website also.

• 1 month later...
On 21/12/2019 at 02:39, ChiFlyer said:

Ok - the GF reminded me to take a pic of the ribs this time.

IMG_2516.thumb.jpg.51600b387a78c2644105a2a242d4eff9.jpg