IGNORED

Checking into Pattaya hotel without passport (passport held for visas, but I have a copy and other docs)?

anonymous1

I may be moving to Bangkok soon.  I'm not retired, I have a job secured and the job will process my NIB visa and work permit, meaning they will have my passport in their possession for a while.  I know I can take the Ekkamai bus to Pattaya without a passport, but will the hotels or guesthouses let me check in?  I always keep a copy of my passport bio page in my wallet, and I will keep a copy of my most recent Thailand entry immigration stamps, and my home country ID.  I also have an old expired passport if it helps any.  Will these things help me check into a Pattaya hotel, or should I just stay put in Bangkok until I get my passport back?

Can't see many hotels or guesthouses letting you check in without a passport but hopefully a member or two will let you know of ones that do.

In September I booked a condo for a few nights through booking.com and no passport check was made. This was for a condo at Centara Azure on Soi 15. The people are advertising currently as Centara Avenue Building ABC but they keep changing their name on booking.com. Nice condo and less than 1200 per night in low season but no daily cleaning.

I found Thai driving licence suffices (though the reverse scenario short trips to BKK from Pattaya)

Without that photocopies (A4 size) of passport info page and current stay visa info should be OK for them (thats all they were going to do with it anyhow)

I don't have a Thai driving license...yet.  I'll be just a "tourist" I guess until my NIB visa and work permit is finalized. Maybe I'll just call the Pattaya hotels and guesthouses first and ask if I can check in with a passport copy and other ID.  Most hotels speak tourist English anyway, and I'll be in Thailand already with a SIM card.  Seems like a good plan.

I've checked into the Pattaya Holiday Inn with a passport copy. 

On the low end of the spectrum I once found a need for a room on short notice while at the bars and booked the Diamond Beach hotel prepaid through Agoda and they let me in with a passport copy and US drivers license.

I'd call your favorite hotel and check. I don't think you'll have much problem. There are a lot of guys in Pattaya with nothing but passport copies with a need for a hotel. I can't believe they're all turned away.

I have used a full size laminated copy of my passport information page to check in, in the past. One side is the information page, and for me, the other size is this year's long term visa extension. With an explaination for why you don't have your passport with you, I would not expect any problem.  

• 1 month later...

I've had to show a passport each time i've checked into a pattaya hotel.  Maybe best to call the hotel in question to see if they'll accept passport copy.  front desks can be difficult at times.

Archived