IGNORED

Preventing motorbike theft

Wolf Cat

I just bought a brand new motorbike today (Yamaha Aerox) and I know thieves target new bikes, I don't want my bike stolen, so my questions to you guys are; what's your thoughts on tire locks, disc brake locks, alarms, tracking device, chains, etc   And are there any other tips when it comes to preventing bike theft in Pattaya/Thailand?

Any horror or happy ending stories about bike theft?

Cheers

Never heard it was a problem in Pattaya really if you are careful.

Most people live in a condo with secure parking, in the Unixx where I live, there are 24 hr security and secure underground parking...never heard of any issues.

The biggest problem is farangs going out on a bike, getting steaming drunk then either leaving it or trying to ride it home...funnily enough bad things then happens.

I have left my new PCX a couple of times when out for the night, but I try to park it in a decent well lit area (and remember where you parked it!)

I bought a front disc lock but have never felt the need to use it.

Small bikes are so cheap in Pattaya that professional thieves will go for the bigger ones especially Ducati or cars, the casual thief will just pick up the nearest bike which looks ok and easy to steal, so try to avoid those options and you should be fine :)

When i bought my bike last year i got 1st class insurance, so that reduces the worry some what as theft is covered. I also bought a thick chain and big lock which i chained to a metal bar at my apartment. But after a while you worry less so after 3 months i didn't bother locking it anymore and this year i didn't bother getting 1st class insurance, just the mandatory insurance

25 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

When i bought my bike last year i got 1st class insurance, so that reduces the worry some what as theft is covered. I also bought a thick chain and big lock which i chained to a metal bar at my apartment. But after a while you worry less so after 3 months i didn't bother locking it anymore and this year i didn't bother getting 1st class insurance, just the mandatory insurance

When I buy a new motorcycle i've done the same. For the first year I have 1st Class insurance and I use a chain and lock.  In town I park in busy areas.

So far, no problems, but I have heard of new motorbikes getting loaded into the back of a truck and/or the manufacturer's steering lock is easily broken. 

Apply the level of security that makes you feel comfortable. Other's levels may not apply. 

Then enjoy and relax. 

I went out and bought a cable lock and a U style lock.  I used the cable if I'm away from my bike for a short period and use the U lock if it's a few hours (dinner + movie).  My insurance only cover 50% of the cost of the bike if stolen.

A few years back my TG bought a new bike (my money 555) and one night she went into a 7-11 to buy a water, in the brief time she was in the store two thieves, kicked the front tire trying to break the steering lock and I guess were going to push it away.  She and I didn't know what was wrong with the bike but it was driving funny, we took it to the shop a day or two later and the mechanic told us it's common for thieves to kick the front tire to break the locking pin and push the bike away.  

Disc lock is great, because they are small. If you get one, get one with alarm. As soon as the bike gets moved, the alarm starts to sound. More important, if you forget about it, it will remind you before you drive off. I had one without alarm and ended crashing to the ground after I forgot about it. Even just one spin of the wheel was enough to get me off the bike with a lot of force. Thanks to a very good helmet I got away with no injury but my pride left on the floor 555

Disc lock is great, because they are small. If you get one, get one with alarm. As soon as the bike gets moved, the alarm starts to sound. More important, if you forget about it, it will remind you before you drive off. I had one without alarm and ended crashing to the ground after I forgot about it. Even just one spin of the wheel was enough to get me off the bike with a lot of force. Thanks to a very good helmet I got away with no injury but my pride left on the floor 555
With a disc lock i just have a reminder such as an elastic band on the ignition key

be very careful where you park it.  bike theft will increase in pattaya imho.  best to not try to save a few baht and park it where you can pay a thai to watch it... not sure about the aerox theft rates but given their popularity I am sure it exists...

be very careful where you park it.  bike theft will increase in pattaya imho.  best to not try to save a few baht and park it where you can pay a thai to watch it... not sure about the aerox theft rates but given their popularity I am sure it exists...
Where have they been stolen?

• 2 months later...
On 23/11/2018 at 16:03, Scuba+ said:

Hi howmuch you pay this assurance ?

On 23/11/2018 at 16:03, Scuba+ said:

I MADE IN FRANCE I

• 1 month later...
On 09/02/2019 at 05:36, Scuba+ said:
On 09/02/2019 at 03:28, Frenchguy99 said:

1st class 4000 baht

Trouble over 10 years you are spending as much on insurance as the bike costs. Just buy a good lock and use it.

Trouble over 10 years you are spending as much on insurance as the bike costs. Just buy a good lock and use it.
Yeah, the first year i did the 1st class, in second year I'm just doing the compulsory insurance, not even bothering with a lock now

10 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Yeah, the first year i did the 1st class, in second year I'm just doing the compulsory insurance, not even bothering with a lock now

Where do you park it overnight........:Laugh1:

Archived