IGNORED

Golf for kids

nirvana

I’ve played golf in Thailand many times, but I’ve never taken my 10 year-old son. He’s a great player who has been professionally trained for many years. Will they let him play? I’ve had issues at some courses at home, but that was when he was 5 or 6. 

I think Most  cheaper courses will let him play? I play here weekly and have never seen kids play golf but there is the small 9 Hole Navy course in Sattahip that will 100% let him play...Tough Course too..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

15 hours ago, nirvana said:

I’ve played golf in Thailand many times, but I’ve never taken my 10 year-old son. He’s a great player who has been professionally trained for many years. Will they let him play? I’ve had issues at some courses at home, but that was when he was 5 or 6. 

If he can hit it 170 yds off the tee and keep it to 3 putts or less he will make money playing competition in the golf bars . (lol) .

Should not be a  problem for your son to play in Thailand . 

21 hours ago, Lok Jit said:

I think Most  cheaper courses will let him play? I play here weekly and have never seen kids play golf but there is the small 9 Hole Navy course in Sattahip that will 100% let him play...Tough Course too..

I haven’t seen any children playing either, and that’s my concern. He would be so disappointed if we went to courses and couldn’t play. Thanks so much for the advice on the Navy course!!! 

12 hours ago, maxtroy said:

If he can hit it 170 yds off the tee and keep it to 3 putts or less he will make money playing competition in the golf bars . (lol) .

Should not be a  problem for your son to play in Thailand . 

Funny. His driver only goes about 150 yards, so I’ll have to wait a few years. VERY few 3 puts tho. Thanks for your reply. 

I've been golfing around Pattaya for 10 years (2 trips a year) and I do remember following a group with 2 or 3 kids playing. They could have been around 10 years old.

I remember it well because they were a pain in the fuckin arse. Talk about sloooowwwww. They have obviously been watching pro golf on tv since they could sit up and thought they were the next Tiger or Rory. One bloke in my group was almost ready to flog ahead in his cart and put a rocket up their collective arses.

Nirvana...please don't let your young bloke go down this path.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

8 hours ago, nirvana said:

Funny. His driver only goes about 150 yards, so I’ll have to wait a few years. VERY few 3 puts tho. Thanks for your reply. 

Sorry that was a bit tongue in cheek . If he can hit the ball 150 yards then put him off the forward tees and he'll be fine .   What's critical is pace of play . As long as he keeps up with the group there is no reason for concern . 

8 hours ago, nirvana said:

I haven’t seen any children playing either, and that’s my concern. He would be so disappointed if we went to courses and couldn’t play

We had a 10 year old play with us out of Retox a year or 2 ago. No issue with the couple of courses he went to - one was Treasure Hill which was not the best choice as he got a little disheartened. His father I know also took him out by himself in spite of not being a regular player.

From memory best drives were around 170 but memory could be faulty. As others have said pace of play is more the issue. I know seniors who struggle to hit it 170 off the tee consistently.........

I have also seen many Thai's with their young kids of that sort of age playing. When you ring to book just check and I don't think you will have an issue with most courses. The true high season may be an issue.

What's his handicap? With a decent handicap there will definitely be no issue. The courses play longer and harder than the UK generally. People often play a lot worse than their handicap for the first few rounds. The thing to do is ring the course and ask. Also play with a bar group like Links hotel, ask them

Shouldn't be an issue at most courses but probably advisable to check before booking.
There is always the par 3 course at the Asia hotel at the bottom of Pratumnak Soi 4. Holes range from 80-130 yards and it only costs 420 Baht for the day.

9 hours ago, maxtroy said:

Sorry that was a bit tongue in cheek . If he can hit the ball 150 yards then put him off the forward tees and he'll be fine .   What's critical is pace of play . As long as he keeps up with the group there is no reason for concern . 

Thanks. Pace of play is not a problem for us. We end up waiting for the group in front of us every time we play. 

Asia hotel is great for beginners. Just get out of the way if you are holding anyone up and wait 5 minutes. Play the kid off the ladies tees. If he is any good he will slaughter you

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

• 4 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 04:00, nirvana said:

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t let him play, compared to some of the people that play golf around here I would imagine your son plays better, faster and has more etiquette. Anywhere that wouldn’t let a kid play who is well training is missing the point. Shouldn’t we want to grow the game that we love and pass it on from generation to generation.

RT 

Archived