IGNORED

The Rib Shack at The Hideaway Soi Buakhaow 15

On 11/11/2018 at 02:31, CuppaTea said:

I wish any new venture good luck however.....

Not much foot traffic down this Soi and not a Landmark Destination that guys will want to specifically travel to that offers something different, better and cheaper than loads of other who aint out of the way.

Remember guys out of sight is out of mind and this place is unless your staying in the Soi.

Gone by May at the latest probably because it wont generate the sales to keep it in business and the truth is a food place that has few customers aint going to be buying fresh food every day, they will "store" it to save on wastage

And that aint good.

Just like it's not possible to criticise  a film when you haven't seen it , you can't criticise a restaurant if you haven't eaten in it.

And accusing the owner of storing old food , you have absolutely zero knowledge of this ....... it's just a nasty comment , and I can't think of a reason why someone would make it.

Edited by Syco

Twice recently I’ve eaten at the Hideaway since the Business was extended with the Rib Shack. My choices being the sausages with salad and the half rack of ribs, both times the food was served piping hot and cooked to perfection, absolutely delicious.

Certainly no complaints from me. Next time I’m planning to return hungry with the mixed grill in my sights.

Baby-1.gif

Whilst i'm very unfussy about food, i'm more fussy about surroundings. I see this is an open air restaurant on a road with plenty of traffic.

There is no shortage of 200b burger places around, for example, so it would have to be very good to tempt me away from a quiet indoors place. If you're going for the 'shack' look, the toilets had better be super clean too IMO.

Hopefully constructive. I will have a nosey at it next week. And best of luck of course :)

Is this the same place that serves burgers at the corner of LK Metro?  I will give it a run...always hesitant on meat in general in Asia due to the quality standards (sausages especially)...have never really found a place that served solid ribs that didn't cost 1000 BHT a slab...hopefully this places proves me wrong next week....I hope it does as I would love a go to place

Just now, The Danimal said:

Is this the same place that serves burgers at the corner of LK Metro?  I will give it a run...always hesitant on meat in general in Asia due to the quality standards (sausages especially)...have never really found a place that served solid ribs that didn't cost 1000 BHT a slab...hopefully this places proves me wrong next week....I hope it does as I would love a go to place

no sir. not far away in Soi 15 which is to the south of LK Metro off buakaow

699362904_13nov011(Custom).JPG.efc04d2461fd0aad35b705aba7c17a1c.JPG

on the left side of pic, but too early to be open when i took the shot

19 minutes ago, striderman said:

no sir. not far away in Soi 15 which is to the south of LK Metro off buakaow

699362904_13nov011(Custom).JPG.efc04d2461fd0aad35b705aba7c17a1c.JPG

on the left side of pic, but too early to be open when i took the shot

Yes...this is the corner I am referring to...but maybe not the exact food cart  Thanks

Tried the ribs last night. Meat was cooked just right, with meat falling off the bone. Great taste.  Generous sides of fries, salad, and a little piece of corn on the cob. Really hit the spot. I’ll be back again.

12 minutes ago, pasta man said:

Tried the ribs last night. Meat was cooked just right, with meat falling off the bone. Great taste.  Generous sides of fries, salad, and a little piece of corn on the cob. Really hit the spot. I’ll be back again.

Yeah, most people seem to prefer meat falling off the bone. But not everyone.

Smokin' Joes used to do it for a more sophisticated crowd, not falling off the bone, but found most people didn't appreciate it and switched to falling off the bone.

Give the people what they want!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/why-are-my-ribs-not-fall-off-the-bone.116994/

Here's my golden rule:

• If you are serving ribs for kids and little old ladies, they can fall off the bone.  That way the little old ladies can gum the meat to death, the kids can not waste any meat, and they can get a kick out of giving the bones to the dogs.
  • If you are serving ribs for grown people that you want to impress - they better not fall off the bone.

Falling off the bone is perfect. Not sure thst is a good way to describe it but when you bite the meat for me it should come easily off the bone. 

Not back for few months but just have to try them. Always do a ribs meal on a trip but not found anywhere I love outside a place in Bkk. Fingers crossed these will suit me perfectly.

Edited by Tarl
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

Whilst i'm very unfussy about food, i'm more fussy about surroundings. I see this is an open air restaurant on a road with plenty of traffic.

There is no shortage of 200b burger places around, for example, so it would have to be very good to tempt me away from a quiet indoors place. If you're going for the 'shack' look, the toilets had better be super clean too IMO.

Hopefully constructive. I will have a nosey at it next week. And best of luck of course :)

It isn't a busy road. The waitresses will make your surroundings very pleasant , as will the owner. 

4 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Yeah, most people seem to prefer meat falling off the bone. But not everyone.

Smokin' Joes used to do it for a more sophisticated crowd, not falling off the bone, but found most people didn't appreciate it and switched to falling off the bone.

Give the people what they want!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/why-are-my-ribs-not-fall-off-the-bone.116994/

A more sophisticated crowd including you no doubt. The hideaway draws a very eclectic mix of people.

Andy runs a tight ship, so its unlikely your precious sensibilities will be offended. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

We have actually built a brand new toilet block as our single inside toilet couldn't cope. But we didn't stop at a toilet, we added a wheelchair access toilet and seperate urinaals too. All very clean.... can be found on our FB page.

Popped in last night had the ribs and a beer 330 so mustn’t grumble food was ok served hot and reasonably quick, bar clean not overly noisy would go back again.

6 hours ago, aussieoutcast said:

[mention=140254]kreggerz[/mention], why do you keep posting in this thread? You have never been there, you like simple menu but want to add Jerk chicken, you love or hate meat fallen off the bone, you find the menu boring but where have you done better, and if not, why bother responding if you don't find menu appealing, back to point 1....

@hideaway, thank you for making Soi 15 much more livable for us Urban condo owners default_smile.png

oh and thank you for the North Korea reference whereby we are allowed to say exactly what we want... you are a tool

I like a small menu. Not a simple menu. I like a small menu that has exciting food. Yes I asked about jerk chicken because nobody else is doing it and the owner mentioned he had a restaurant in the Caribbean and a local place doing that right sounds exciting. I prefer ribs that are not falling off the bone. That's just a personal preference. I wasn't calling anyone names but you went there. Feel better? I don't mind. Maybe try something stronger. Make your night.

Edited by Kreggerz

5 hours ago, PBear66 said:

It isn't a busy road. The waitresses will make your surroundings very pleasant , as will the owner. 

A more sophisticated crowd including you no doubt. The hideaway draws a very eclectic mix of people.

Andy runs a tight ship, so its unlikely your precious sensibilities will be offended. 

I can't see any reason to go there based on the boring to me menu but again I wish the owner all success and agree with everyone that he's obviously a class act. But you don't eat the owner.

Now, as I won't be eating there, I won't post about it again. Sorry if people didn't appreciate my comments. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Now, now. No need to get huffy.

Seems childish in the extreme to talk about any establishments food without sampling it.

Personally i would rather have a small menu well cooked than a larger one badly. If i was running a small catering operation this is exactly the way i would do it.

That way quality control would be easy to implement and a consistency to the food could be maintained. Andy told me about this in July and he always seems keen to improve his offerings to his loyal patrons.

Yes, its a business enterprise but he will want it perfect and any reasonable criticism will be taken on board.

We now have the perfect storm of good pool table, live big screen for events, a great mix of ex pats and the option of a mixed grill!!!!

I think you will also find the thai options are excellent as well.

I may never leave the place when i return early December.  :GrinNod1:   

Now, as I won't be eating there, I won't post about it again. Sorry if people didn't appreciate my comments.

As you have never been there and never will, your negative posts are just annoying and your so called constructive posts are just meaningless as you've never been there ... 

OK Guys, lets close off the subject of the negative posts now. It has started prompting some insults and regardless of why such is not tolerated. 

If the BM who made the negative post would refrain from having any further input that would be good. 

Lets get on with a VERY interesting, fresh, tasty, affordable and well situated business discussion.

• Like 2

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Boots on the ground in December and i'll deffo be round to try the ribs.

I have been a frequent user of Tequila Reef and I like their ribs as there's no fat on them.

Also had the ribs at Smoking Joe's and they were just as good (again no fat)

So if your ribs are all meat and no fat then i'll deffo be a new customer as I will be staying close by.

See you in December

Next month i'll be staying just off Soi Buakhao not far from Soi 15, easy to hop-on the bike for a midnight snack :D

What are the Rib Shack's open & closing times? Is it the same hours as the Hidaway Bar? 

Cheers :)

On 10 November 2018 at 08:55, Kreggerz said:

Thanks for showing us the pictures of your food as that helps all potential customers know what to expect there. If honesty is allowed here, none of those pictures seem especially appealing or special to me compared to the local competition for similar dishes. To me, the burger looks like your strongest dish and the chicken breast your weakest. I would find the chicken dish much more appealing if it was like a 1/2 chicken on the bone.

Always one 

4 hours ago, felix the cat said:

Next month i'll be staying just off Soi Buakhao not far from Soi 15, easy to hop-on the bike for a midnight snack :D

What are the Rib Shack's open & closing times? Is it the same hours as the Hidaway Bar? 

Cheers :)

At the moment The Rib Shack is open 5pm until midnight. From midnight they scrub down so if you arrive and it's closed we can't open up again... so aim for 11.30pm ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

FInally got a chance to stop by...super nice ladies...opened/cooked 20 minutes early for me as they were just sitting there and the food was ready...….Good stuff...the beans need some work...(good flavor but were a bit dry and raw tasting/texture)...I prefer traditional baked beans.  The ribs were excellent though...can't remember having better ribs in Pats...or anywhere in Thailand really.  got the half rack and also don't ever remember getting a half rack that big or meaty before.  Will 100% be back...240/249 for a 1/2 with two sides/salad/slice of corn or 100 more for a full slab...a third of the price of other nearby "Texas" type BBQ's...

I had a very good meal here recently.

Mine Host came over to say hello etc without being intrusive.

They also had a free spread of cheeses and crusty bread the night I was there which also went down well.

It is in a handy location near LKM etc and has a lot going for it.

I'll be back again next year and will also have a look at their rooms this time.

Recommended - give it a try.

• Like 3

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.