IGNORED

Can't stomach spicy food

Here's something I've caught onto that would make me nervous about heading over. I can't eat spicy food. It's not so much the taste, but my stomach can't handle it. I develop ulcers pretty easily from too much caffeine, alcohol, or spice.

If I go out there and give in too much, I'll have stabbing chest pains the rest of the trip while my stomach heals. Real mood killer.

Given I'll probably be drinking more than usual, I'll already have that eating me alive. How well will my plain food self survive? There western style widely available?

Lots of different types of food for all tastes mate, no problems.

But my advice is give spicey a go and over time you will get use to it. Enjoy the food as much as the women. But each to his own.

Edited by Daryle

Daryle

If your staying in Pattaya, no need to eat Thai food if you dont want to. Plenty of different restaurants around, catering for all different types of food.

If your staying out of the tourist areas, you could eat from the Thai BBQ's or even from 7eleven. Or just ask them not to cook it spicy.

To order a dish not spicy say '"mai ow pet" (do not want spicy). I work with people who can't eat spicy food. They have no problem eating Thai food. They tend to eat the fish and beef dishes with fried basil. As for me, I like my Thai food "pet mak mak"! :Drunk_Party: Aroi!

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

• 2 months later...

Just ask for your food to be "mai Ped"-- not spicy,

I am the same cant stomach hot spicy stuff, but have never had a problem in Thailand,

Had some of the best most tender steaks ever!!!!!

So does the spicy food burn on the way in, or the way out?!

producing soi sauce since 1966

You are best off sticking with salads then. When you get to Thailand just order yourself a big pappaya salad ( som tum ) and you'll be right.

Try eating mushrooms they are a natural anti acid. true. Just make shore they are cleaned well , because you know where the best mushrooms grow dont you, :GoldenSmile1:

I never eat spicy food out there, hate the stuff.

As others have said on here, saying 'Mai Pet'with your food order should see you alright.

If you want something done properly, do it yourself..

Not quite answering your question, but have you been to a good doctor about your ulcer condition?

Perhaps you already know all this, but... It has been recently well-published that about 90% of ulcer conditions are caused by the bacteria H.pylori that reside in the stomach making you susceptible to ulcers. This bacterial infection can be treated with a high success rate with a combination course of antibiotics.

My father suffered from chronic ulcers for over 10 years, and had to endure a constant bland diet or suffer the consequences later. He was treated with antibiotics for H.pylori about 7 or 8 years ago. After about a month of antibiotics, he has been ulcer-free ever since. He now enjoys spicy italian, chinese, and mexican food on a regular basis and even eats whole jalepeno peppers.

Maybe this is not the same as your issue, but if you haven't been to a doctor familiar with this, then perhaps it could be quite a liberating experience for you for only the cost of a doc visit and some meds.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...
Here's something I've caught onto that would make me nervous about heading over. I can't eat spicy food. It's not so much the taste, but my stomach can't handle it. I develop ulcers pretty easily from too much caffeine, alcohol, or spice.

If I go out there and give in too much, I'll have stabbing chest pains the rest of the trip while my stomach heals. Real mood killer.

Given I'll probably be drinking more than usual, I'll already have that eating me alive. How well will my plain food self survive? There western style widely available?

I just love spicy food, eat Thai food much hotter than my wife does, however still enjoy European food as well. Still find, after being married to a Thai for many years being served rice dishes for breakfast most unappetizing!

trust me, you'll find anything you're confortable with......you'll find 7-11's there, italian, mc donalds, seafood, english, german.......ect...ect