IGNORED

EVA pe vs United biz

javasumatra

Hi All,

I've never flown Eva before and I've flown United biz once (return) in 2013.

I'll start by mentioning that I live just outside Charlotte, NC. I'm booked on Eva for November 17 out of Chicago to BKK via TPE in PE, I paid $1450 and to cancel is a $150 fee.

I just got an alert on google flights to the following itinerary for $2550

RDU-IAD - United domestic first

IAD-PEK- United 787 "polaris"

PEK-BKK- Hainan 737 business

and return

BKK-PEK- Hainan 737 business

PEK-ORD-United 777-200 "polaris" - (This is the notorius 2-4-4 high density business class)

ORD-RDU- United domestic first

I was tempted but I think I am going to stick with Eva, Here my pros and cons for going with united -

======================================================================

Pros

I can drive to RDU (about 3 hours) and cancel my redemption flights to/from Chicago.

Business class flat bed should be more comfortable.

======================================================================

Cons

Well, Its "United".

High density 777 biz on the way home

I've heard that transit in Beijing is horrific.

Will cost me an extra $1200 but its still very cheap

Do anyone else have any opinion on this? Would you pay the extra and go United biz? If this fare was with JAL, CX, AA, QF, NZ, QR - It would have been booked already.

While I have not flown on United, having seen and dealt with mainland Chinese, there is NO FUCKING way I would fly through any mainland Chinese airports, Hong Kong on CX, or Taiwan on EVA yes.  I have flown on EVA and I do like them.

Business class is a good upgrade from Premium Economy, but the down side of changing flights is not only going to be transiting through PEK, it is going to be that you are on a planeload of Chinese...have you seen the way they act in public in Thailand???  No thanks bro.

5 hours ago, javasumatra said:

I've heard that transit in Beijing is horrific.

Anything you can do to avoid transiting through Beijing, do it.
Avoid Beijing or any mainland Chinese airports. Avoid being packed on a plane filled with mainlanders at all costs.

5 hours ago, javasumatra said:

RDU-IAD - United domestic first

IAD-PEK- United 787 "polaris"

PEK-BKK- Hainan 737 business

If your current option is a single stop flight, why are you paying $1,200 more for the hassle of 2 stops - plus, you did not mention how long the layovers are.

The EVA Chicago-Taipei-BKK flights are easy, comfortable and convenient, and the lounges at Taipei airport are refreshing (they have showers and free Dim Sum) - Lounges at Beijing Airport are a joke, and expensive.

Keep your present flight.

I fly J on china southern regularly. no particular issues with the other passengers.  every country supplies dickheads.  

don't know about pek to transit.  I'd avoid using a transit hotel though

6 hours ago, DaffyDuck said:

Anything you can do to avoid transiting through Beijing, do it.
Avoid Beijing or any mainland Chinese airports. Avoid being packed on a plane filled with mainlanders at all costs.

If your current option is a single stop flight, why are you paying $1,200 more for the hassle of 2 stops - plus, you did not mention how long the layovers are.

The EVA Chicago-Taipei-BKK flights are easy, comfortable and convenient, and the lounges at Taipei airport are refreshing (they have showers and free Dim Sum) - Lounges at Beijing Airport are a joke, and expensive.

Keep your present flight.

Thanks for the feedback especially on the transfer through China. Thats my decision made!

Both trips involve 3 flights -

Eva CLT-ORD-TPE-BKK

United RDU-IAD-PEK-BKK

The layovers and journey times are almost exactly the same on both.

I was tempted by United as the idea of a flat bed really appeals on those long US <-> Asia sectors.

I'm flying Premium economy on Eva so I don't get an lounge access through that. Are there any nice pay lounges in Taipei please with decent showers as that really appeals?

There is Plaza Premium lounge in Taipei opened 24 hours with shower, there is also More Premium lounge opened from 6 am to 11:30 pm that you can pay to get in. They are on 2nd level in terminal 2 where lot of lounges are located at. I believe the first one is nicer, I used it once a year ago. 

• 1 month later...

EVA premium economy was excellent, I was really impressed. Comfy wide seats, plenty of legroom, really nice crews, food was OK too.

• 6 months later...
On 08/12/2018 at 11:02, javasumatra said:

EVA premium economy was excellent, I was really impressed. Comfy wide seats, plenty of legroom, really nice crews, food was OK too.

I have flown EVA Premium Economy many times. It is just that - an upgraded Economy seat. 8 across rather than 9 across on a 777. There used to be a $500 or so extra cost, now they are doubling the cost compared to Economy.

United has an Economy Plus product that is free if you have status. Although it doesn’t have the frills of EVA PE, and it is 9 across, there is plenty of legroom, for half the cost of EVA PE.

Having said that, I just got an offer to upgrade to United Polaris for $600 and 30,000 for a 13 hour flight LAX to Shanghai. It’s basically a daytime flight, so I can’t sleep and those 13 hours are really going to drag. So, at least I can be comfortable.

I like EVA'S hours coming from USA.  Leave at midnight and land just after 11am on EVA vs almost midnight on United.  Premium economy is worlds better than United economy or united premium economy.  Seats recline much more than economy, but not as much as United Biz.  And seats on EVA are 2 inches wider.  For the price of EVA PE vs United Biz it's not even a thought for me.  United Biz is 2-3 times more expensive depending on year and flight schedules.  I just booked my flight for July and the rates for all airlines are going higher now.  But my ticket was $1300, but it's only PE heading back to USA.  Just like EVA price of ticket is 50% to 70% cheaper than United Biz, the stewardesses are 50% to 70% younger also...lol

Only ever transited through a mainland Chinese airport once, CAN, and as a business class passenger it didn't seem that bad. Economy queues at passport checks etc didn't look appealing.

2 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Only ever transited through a mainland Chinese airport once, CAN, and as a business class passenger it didn't seem that bad. Economy queues at passport checks etc didn't look appealing.

The transit process at PEK is a nightmare. 2 hours is barely enough time to change planes.

22 minutes ago, bigmac9899 said:

I like EVA'S hours coming from USA.  Leave at midnight and land just after 11am on EVA vs almost midnight on United.  Premium economy is worlds better than United economy or united premium economy.  Seats recline much more than economy, but not as much as United Biz.  And seats on EVA are 2 inches wider.  For the price of EVA PE vs United Biz it's not even a thought for me.  United Biz is 2-3 times more expensive depending on year and flight schedules.  I just booked my flight for July and the rates for all airlines are going higher now.  But my ticket was $1300, but it's only PE heading back to USA.  Just like EVA price of ticket is 50% to 70% cheaper than United Biz, the stewardesses are 50% to 70% younger also...lol

You are confusing the attributes of United Economy Plus with United Business Class.

Pricing is like this:

UA Economy Plus

EVA PE (double that of Economy Plus)

United Business Class (triple Economy Plus)

as far as comfort goes:

United Economy Plus - a little better than Economy

EVA PE - a little better than Economy Plus

United Business Class - lie flat beds

11 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

The transit process at PEK is a nightmare. 2 hours is barely enough time to change planes.

No separate queues for business class passengers there then?

26 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

No separate queues for business class passengers there then?

I did not see one.

1 hour ago, Explorer8939 said:

You are confusing the attributes of United Economy Plus with United Business Class.

Pricing is like this:

UA Economy Plus

EVA PE (double that of Economy Plus)

United Business Class (triple Economy Plus)

as far as comfort goes:

United Economy Plus - a little better than Economy

EVA PE - a little better than Economy Plus

United Business Class - lie flat beds

I agree with everything you said, and had the same thoughts.  Unfortunately, my sentence structure and thoughts were not very good at articulatING that message.  Thanks.  And heres to my next flight on EVA.  

As long as that flight is not today since they have cancelled almost every flight to and from Taipei due to a strike by cabin crew.

On 21/06/2019 at 01:28, ricktoronto said:

As long as that flight is not today since they have cancelled almost every flight to and from Taipei due to a strike by cabin crew.

Yes, now that one really made my ears perk up.  My flight leaves in 19 days.  Hoping they have it settled by then.

Does EVA Premium Economy get you a FastPass card for BKK?

32 minutes ago, mochatsubo said:

Flying from Europe it does not.

1 hour ago, mochatsubo said:

Nope, business and first class only. I believe now you cannot even buy one if flying below business class.

26 minutes ago, h.harris said:

you cannot even buy one if flying below business class.

Wrong.

I flew United Business LAX - PVG, their Polaris service. I decided to fly Polaris because the flight was daytime, and I knew I couldn't sleep much. I was not really knocked out by it, there was a lie flat seat, but it wasn't that comfortable. The plastic armrests got in my way.

There was a 9 hour gap between meals, which was no fun.

I paid $600 and 30,000 miles for the upgrade, but I probably wouldn't do it again.

6 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

I flew United Business LAX - PVG, their Polaris service. I decided to fly Polaris because the flight was daytime, and I knew I couldn't sleep much. I was not really knocked out by it, there was a lie flat seat, but it wasn't that comfortable. The plastic armrests got in my way.

There was a 9 hour gap between meals, which was no fun.

I paid $600 and 30,000 miles for the upgrade, but I probably wouldn't do it again.

What aircraft/seat type did you have? All United biz is called Polaris now, but not all aircraft have the new Polaris seats. I’ll be taking a 77W EWR-HKG in a few weeks, so I’ll be getting the new seats. The aircraft that haven’t been retrofitted yet, still have the older United/Continental seats.

Archived