IGNORED

Korat or Khon Kaen?

ghafarbaba

We're planning a golf trip to Korat or Khon Kaen early next year.

Anyone knows which city is better?

I'm thinking that there will be more choices for golf courses, van rental, food and entertainment in Korat since it's bigger?

HI Ghaf 

If you are looking for possible starters, I would like to come along on your  golfing excursion to the North.  If I tag along, i'll  even buy some beers and bar fines for your tour group !!

Both venues are good.

Khon Khaen - For hotels and nightlife I would say that Khon Khaen has the edge, golf in the city is also good. 3 courses to play, are Singha Park (championship course, immaculate but flat), Dancoon a decent budget course with a nice back 9, Ubonratdam an absolute hidden gem...stunning and only 500thb!

Korat - forget staying in the city stay in Pak Chong, and play in the surrounding courses. Kowyai National Park/Mission Hills...wow stunning course carved out of the mountains and Jungle, Bonanza and Ranchi Charnavee are good too.

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2018 at 09:05, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Both venues are good.

Khon Khaen - For hotels and nightlife I would say that Khon Khaen has the edge, golf in the city is also good. 3 courses to play, are Singha Park (championship course, immaculate but flat), Dancoon a decent budget course with a nice back 9, Ubonratdam an absolute hidden gem...stunning and only 500thb!

Korat - forget staying in the city stay in Pak Chong, and play in the surrounding courses. Kowyai National Park/Mission Hills...wow stunning course carved out of the mountains and Jungle, Bonanza and Ranchi Charnavee are good too.

Thanks LW.  Your pics of Khao Yai was what gave me the idea of playing in Korat.  But the 3-4 hour trip by road from Bangkok makes it tough.  And Khon Kaen has the added advantage of being close to Udon :D

On 24/10/2018 at 20:39, roderick said:

HI Ghaf 

If you are looking for possible starters, I would like to come along on your  golfing excursion to the North.  If I tag along, i'll  even buy some beers and bar fines for your tour group !!

Hi Rod, looks like it won't be an early 2019 trip, maybe later in the year.  Me mates are now thinking to revisit Jakarta / Bogor in mid-2019 before the religious nutters kill off the entertainment there forever (unlikely but possible).  I'll keep you posted on the KK trip.

• 3 months later...
On 28/10/2018 at 01:05, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

You omitted the 9 hole course at Si Borirak. This is a favourite with the local expats. It's commonly known as the Agri Course, because it's near the Agricultural Research Centre ( and also quite close to Singha Park). Inexpensive, a decent course, with friendly caddies etc. The Army also has a 9 hole course at the end of KK airport Runway - not played that one though.

Nightlife in KK is OK, but nothing like Patts, of course. There is one street next to the Pullman hotel with all the expat bars. BFs can be got at Erik's Bar, I'm told.

2 hours ago, xdrt33 said:

You omitted the 9 hole course at Si Borirak. This is a favourite with the local expats. It's commonly known as the Agri Course, because it's near the Agricultural Research Centre ( and also quite close to Singha Park). Inexpensive, a decent course, with friendly caddies etc. The Army also has a 9 hole course at the end of KK airport runway - not played that one though.

Nightlife in KK is OK, but nothing like Patts, of course. There is one street next to the Pullman Hotel with all the expat bars. BFs can be got at Erik's Bar, I'm told.

Yes, I forgot ‘the Ag’ course. Nice little 9 holes....decent and cheap little track that one.

Archived