Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Passport to Thai Tourist SIM?

Little Evil

I've been traveling to Thailand for several years now, but last trip was the first time I actually used a tourist SIM. My home service would typically just work, but very slow. I finally got off my ass and bought a dual SIM phone, so this was the first real test.

When I went to buy the SIM in the airport, they asked to see my passport. I didn't really think about it and gave it to them. They took a copy and everything. Later on, I starting feeling a bit nervous about that part. Why did they need it? Is that common? Just checking to see if I can say "no" and still get the SIM.

It’s been the law for a couple of years at least now. You can’t get a SIM without showing your passport.

Send a friendly Thai to get a SIM for you if you’re not happy with giving your details.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

It’s been the law for a couple of years at least now. You can’t get a SIM without showing your passport.

Send a friendly Thai to get a SIM for you if you’re not happy with giving your details.

That's very reassuring to know.  It just sketched me out. Not sure why I just remembered to ask about it now considering that trip was back in Feb.

They didn't even have a scanner. Just took a picture of my passport with another phone. Might ask a girl to get a 7-11 one for me next time. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust a low level hourly booth employee with my credentials. 

On ‎03‎-‎10‎-‎2018 at 16:25, Little Evil said:

That's very reassuring to know.  It just sketched me out. Not sure why I just remembered to ask about it now considering that trip was back in Feb.

They didn't even have a scanner. Just took a picture of my passport with another phone. Might ask a girl to get a 7-11 one for me next time. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust a low level hourly booth employee with my credentials. 

As i recall from last year, no 7-11's would sell simcards anymore. I guess it was too much hassle for them.

1 hour ago, ShaneFalco said:

As i recall from last year, no 7-11's would sell simcards anymore. I guess it was too much hassle for them.

Thats right.

Family Mart still sell Sims, but they still take a copy of your Passport etc.

But still try to pick a quite time to go to Family Mart otherwise they end up with a backlog of people waiting to be served while they attend to you.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

Archived