Jump to content
Little Evil

Passport to Thai Tourist SIM?

Recommended Posts

Little Evil

I've been traveling to Thailand for several years now, but last trip was the first time I actually used a tourist SIM. My home service would typically just work, but very slow. I finally got off my ass and bought a dual SIM phone, so this was the first real test.

When I went to buy the SIM in the airport, they asked to see my passport. I didn't really think about it and gave it to them. They took a copy and everything. Later on, I starting feeling a bit nervous about that part. Why did they need it? Is that common? Just checking to see if I can say "no" and still get the SIM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidge

It’s been the law for a couple of years at least now. You can’t get a SIM without showing your passport.

Send a friendly Thai to get a SIM for you if you’re not happy with giving your details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Little Evil
2 minutes ago, davidge said:

It’s been the law for a couple of years at least now. You can’t get a SIM without showing your passport.

Send a friendly Thai to get a SIM for you if you’re not happy with giving your details.

That's very reassuring to know.  It just sketched me out. Not sure why I just remembered to ask about it now considering that trip was back in Feb.

They didn't even have a scanner. Just took a picture of my passport with another phone. Might ask a girl to get a 7-11 one for me next time. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust a low level hourly booth employee with my credentials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShaneFalco
On ‎03‎-‎10‎-‎2018 at 16:25, Little Evil said:

That's very reassuring to know.  It just sketched me out. Not sure why I just remembered to ask about it now considering that trip was back in Feb.

They didn't even have a scanner. Just took a picture of my passport with another phone. Might ask a girl to get a 7-11 one for me next time. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust a low level hourly booth employee with my credentials. 

As i recall from last year, no 7-11's would sell simcards anymore. I guess it was too much hassle for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeb
1 hour ago, ShaneFalco said:

As i recall from last year, no 7-11's would sell simcards anymore. I guess it was too much hassle for them.

Thats right.

Family Mart still sell Sims, but they still take a copy of your Passport etc.

But still try to pick a quite time to go to Family Mart otherwise they end up with a backlog of people waiting to be served while they attend to you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.