IGNORED

Colonoscopy Fear

aussieoutcast

had it twice  , awake through the procedures and watched the camera on screen  . Having had a LB to open you up a bit helps  , 

As an addition to this story, my Mate recently had a colonoscopy as he was 53 and followed the advertising.

Even though he had zero symptoms and was only doing it due to age, they found a tumor on his colon. Saved his life [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

had it twice  , awake through the procedures and watched the camera on screen  . Having had a LB to open you up a bit helps  , 
As the OP, I just wanted to clarify that you definitely do not need to do a LB prior to having a colonoscopy lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was wondering to do this myself (not sure whether it was endoscopy or colonscopy) when I got a long bout of diarrhea (1 month) after returning from Thailand some years ago. (might not have been caused by the Thailand trip since the diarrhea started only 4 weeks after the trip). Went to the hospital, they took my blood for testing. Also submitted stool samples for testing (boy, it was a PAIN collecting the sample! )

I really hate the idea of a scope going all the way into my intestines... in fact the doctor warned me that the procedure itself carried risks.

But the diarrhea suddenly stopped, everything went back to normal, so I forgot all about the scopy and never did it. 

I still have occasional blood when passing motion (been having this condition for nearly 2 decades), but I always think it's due to piles, not anything serious (hospital confirms this). I am a long way from hitting age 50 so I think i'll pass on the endo/colon/whateverscopy for now. But even so, I can't help but wonder if I should do a scopy, just to clear the small, tiny lingering worry from my mind.

But the stress of testing is insane. I didn't lose any weight when having the diarrhea (though it was for a month!). It was the visits to the hospital to do the tests which caused me to lose weight....

Edited by laserlube
make sentence clearer

Be Safe, not Sorry!
Buy Home HIV Test Kits to check yourself or your partner. 

Logo JPEG small.jpg
Order now at www.testhivstatus.com

Convenient, Easy to Use, Reliable, with Total Privacy.
International Shipping.

Also Available: Test Kits for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis and Hepatitis B.

@laserlube, in regards to blood, the redder the better. Bowell cancer blood is apparently very dark. If it's red they say that is likely close to outside.

Having said that, they found my largest Polyp of 5mm only 10cm from rectum so what do I know...best to get checked

I work in health care and I've heard it's bad but I agree with OP and encourage it. I know a guy who had cancer and they had to remove a large portion of his intestines and he has to take pain meds and meds to slow down his bowels constantly, it sounds terrible. Honestly those who work in a reputable hospital would never demean someone about a procedure, it's treated like any other task. Thanks for sharing the info OP.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, aussieoutcast said:

@laserlube, in regards to blood, the redder the better. Bowell cancer blood is apparently very dark. If it's red they say that is likely close to outside.

Having said that, they found my largest Polyp of 5mm only 10cm from rectum so what do I know...best to get checked

Thanks for the tips.

I almost never see the blood on my stool, cos the amount of blood is always very very small, less than a drop. I only see blood on the toilet paper when I wipe after finishing my business.... In my entire life (the last 20 years) I only felt blood dripping maybe 1, 2 or 3 times, and that feeling was freaky. When I shared about the dripping with another family member, he dismissed it as nothing because he encounters the "dripping" more often (piles is common in my family). 

Just in case it wasn't clear - seeing blood on the toilet paper isn't so scary because its only a small red smear, very little blood (less than a drop). But feeling the blood drip - even if it's a single drop -  that is freaky. (To me, at least).

When I have diarrhea, or soft stools, there is no blood...it's only when I have a hard solid stool that I see the small bit of blood. I guess the bleeding is caused by the stool rubbing with the piles, or the extra muscle contraction force needed to expel a hard stool.

I know I'm probably fine, (ie it's "only" "merely" very minor piles), and I'm still young, but just imagine if I had something serious  - ie if the blood is coming from somewhere in my intestines... I might not notice it cos I'm used to encountering blood when doing big business. Scary thought.

If the colonscopy/endoscopy stuff was as straightforward (and as fast) as taking a shower, (and if it was free!) I would do it right away, but the thought of all the procedures and the thought of a long smooth metallic/plastic thing going up the ass... plus the fact that no doctor is pushing me to do it... plus the fact that I would have to pay for it.... all these factors add up....so I never did any deep scopy yet, lol.... I did have more minor procedures (proctoscopy) of course, but that is such a superficial probe, it only confirmed my diagnosis of piles. Maybe that is good enough for me for now.

But if I reach age 50 I would definitely do a deeper scopy (colonscopy or whatever)... I would follow the doctor's recommendation (i hope!).

Edited by laserlube
make sentence clearer

Be Safe, not Sorry!

Logo JPEG small.jpg

International Shipping.

Just to mention costs, if you have health insurance in Australia it is free, other than your once per year medical excess (in my case it was $250). The Cleanser meds cost $48.

My father always ignored the blood in his underwear and when my mother asked him to go to see a doctor, he said I went and the doc said it's only the hemorrhoids. That was a lie, he never went to see a doctor.

Later complaints became worse and he was sent to a hospital. They diagnosed cancer in his intenstine, unfortunately it was too late. The tumor already had spread all over his body. My father died aged 58 cause he never went to get a Colonoscopy.

When he died I was 23 and went to a doctor. Me and my two sipples had Colonoscopis done and all 3 of us had Polyps removed. Luckily those were not yet cancer, but Polyps only.

Since then I get a Colonoscopy every 2 or 3 years done. Depending on if Polyps are found, or not. Now I'm 51 and I can say I'm a real professional. Only the first time I was put to sleep, since then I always watch on the monitor what the doc is doing.

It might be regarded emberrasing by some and the cleansing of the intenstine ain't fun, but Colonoscopies save lifes and they don't hurt.

Edited by max333

I have had 3 now. They found a small benign tumor on the first one. The worst part is the Liquid diet the day before. One should get this done.

I had my first colonoscopy done in 2008 and I was due for another in 2018.  But in 2018, they did an alternative test, Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT).  All you do is take a swab of your stool and mail it to the lab, and you do not have to prep for this.  If you get abnormal results, then you have to do the colonoscopy.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000704.htm

I had my first colonoscopy done in 2008 and I was due for another in 2018.  But in 2018, they did an alternative test, Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT).  All you do is take a swab of your stool and mail it to the lab, and you do not have to prep for this.  If you get abnormal results, then you have to do the colonoscopy. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000704.htm

We have a bowell cancer kit sent to everyone in Australia on their 50th birthday (and every 5 years after) where you send stool samples for testing.  

My Docs pretty much dismissed these as 'better than nothing' but will never replace the results of a colonoscopy (for example I had no blood in stool so would not have triggered a colonoscopy, but I had 6 Polyps, 3 of which were cancerous)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, aussieoutcast said:

We have a bowell cancer kit sent to everyone in Australia on their 50th birthday (and every 5 years after) where you send stool samples for testing.  

My Docs pretty much dismissed these as 'better than nothing' but will never replace the results of a colonoscopy (for example I had no blood in stool so would not have triggered a colonoscopy, but I had 6 Polyps, 3 of which were cancerous)

I talked to my doctor before getting my first Coloscopy done, trying to avoid it. He said nothing at all can replace that. Testing the stool or other methods might be better as doing nothing, but won't give you 100% reliability.

Yep, had my first one last year, luckily nothing serious was found.  The procedure itself was easy peasy.  The preparation sucked big time.  Not looking forward to the next one... but will still do it.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

This is an important topic for us men, particularly because many of us like to smoke, drink, and eat lots of delicious meat - all things that raise your risk of colorectal cancer.  

A colonoscopy procedure allows them to scope out (literally, and pun intended) what's happening in your gut and can even peek on into the small intestine a bit, to make sure all is well.  If any polyps are found, they can be snipped off RIGHT THEN AND THERE by tools within the scope.  Boom - you just cut (potentially) deadly cancer out of you.  You just saved your life.

The prep is shitty - pun intended.  But the procedure itself is painless.  It's definitely uncomfortable - as uncomfortable as you'd imagine having 5 or so feet of endoscope shoved into your ass would be.  But it's not something I would expect the average man to find "painful" - not with what many of us have dealt with in our lifetimes.  I've had the procedure done a few times, and I always do it wide awake without medication (freaks out the nurses) so I can go to work afterwards and be productive.

The secondary (and arguably) primary prevention provided by the colonoscopy can save your life.  If you're having bowel issues, bleeding, etc. - don't be a tough guy.  Talk to your doctor, and follow his recommendations.  It could mean the difference between dying of a rather embarrassing cancer and living to see another day.

Always happy to help a fellow monger :)  Stay safe & healthy gentlemen!!!  :hello09:

It is worth discussing the difference in practice between countries.  In a few places they pretty much give a general anesthetic to everybody.  I think in the majority of countries however, no anesthetic is used at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

It is worth discussing the difference in practice between countries.  In a few places they pretty much give a general anesthetic to everybody.  I think in the majority of countries however, no anesthetic is used at all.

great point !

i had it done twice and you are right ......no anesthetic ..... but a drug to erase the memory of the pain , AFAIK ! 

10 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

6 hours ago, Guiness said:

great point !

i had it done twice and you are right ......no anesthetic ..... but a drug to erase the memory of the pain , AFAIK ! 

You don't have to accept anesthestic or memory-diminishing medication nor is there necessarily pain. If you need to go to work or do something mentally productive after, just do the exam while awake. It's NOT a huge deal. 

By contrast, contracting and dying painfully of colon cancer IS a huge deal. What is your life and health worth to you? 

Edited by CyberPro
  • Like 1

Not to be redundant, but this test saves lives!

Edited by padfoot
  • Like 2

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

20 hours ago, basket case said:

Best article I have ever read on the subject....

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You're right, I read it, it's so good!

Be Safe, not Sorry!

Logo JPEG small.jpg

International Shipping.

On 10/2/2018 at 01:59, aussieoutcast said:

As the OP, I just wanted to clarify that you definitely do not need to do a LB prior to having a colonoscopy lol

But apparently it helps :D

The worst part about it is having to drink all that disgusting Liquid (a gallon).

But lately, they seem to be making it not so bad-tasting.

Really, I think the actual procedure is not as bad as going to the dentist for fillings/crowns.

Things I have had, in decreasing order of discomfort:

Lasik surgery

Dental work

Colonoscopy

Prostate radiation

Just a thought on the cleansing Liquid, yes it didn't taste the best, but after finishing it I felt better than I had in the last 20 years.

If I could, I'd buy it and take it once a year for a great clean out :)