striderman

pattaya beach "improvement" works

Scuba+
I looked at the drain width closely yesterday to try and figure out why part of the street drain cover grating is some where around 1 ? foot wide and in other parts 2 ? feet wide......
The street drain grating is almost all 2 ? feet wide near walking street then all the sudden the street drain grating drops down to 1 ? foot ..... Then further down there is another 2 ? foot street grating section.....But after this section the grating drops back to 1 ? foot.....And further down it looks like it will be another 2 ? foot section.....
Soooooooooo
My non expert conclusion was........Drum roll............That originally they were going to make ALL the street drain grating 2 ? feet wide.....But after they had completed a few blocks of the 2 ? foot grating they realized how hard and EXPENSIVE it was going to be to install the new 2 ? foot grating all along beach road........
So the new plan seems to be to reuse the old 1 ? foot grating along beach road and only use the new EXPENSIVE 2 ? foot grating  at the big wash out areas and maybe at other major drain points.....
Its possible installing the 2 ? foot grating along the whole beach might have resulted in some very malnourished brown envelopes?? who knows?
But this was my best guess.....
my feeling is the arse didn't tell the elbow that the new drain was meant to be 2 feet wide, so they started building it all 1 foot wide same as existing, then someone woke up and told them it's meant to be 2, but they can't re-dig what they've already done

fforest
5 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
40 minutes ago, fforest said:
I looked at the drain width closely yesterday to try and figure out why part of the street drain cover grating is some where around 1 ? foot wide and in other parts 2 ? feet wide......
The street drain grating is almost all 2 ? feet wide near walking street then all the sudden the street drain grating drops down to 1 ? foot ..... Then further down there is another 2 ? foot street grating section.....But after this section the grating drops back to 1 ? foot.....And further down it looks like it will be another 2 ? foot section.....
Soooooooooo
My non expert conclusion was........Drum roll............That originally they were going to make ALL the street drain grating 2 ? feet wide.....But after they had completed a few blocks of the 2 ? foot grating they realized how hard and EXPENSIVE it was going to be to install the new 2 ? foot grating all along beach road........
So the new plan seems to be to reuse the old 1 ? foot grating along beach road and only use the new EXPENSIVE 2 ? foot grating  at the big wash out areas and maybe at other major drain points.....
Its possible installing the 2 ? foot grating along the whole beach might have resulted in some very malnourished brown envelopes?? who knows?
But this was my best guess.....

Read more  

my feeling is the arse didn't tell the elbow that the new drain was meant to be 2 feet wide, so they started building it all 1 foot wide same as existing, then someone woke up and told them it's meant to be 2, but they can't re-dig what they've already done

I dont know for sure.....But one thing I do know is at the rate work is progressing I think the work will take another year....And this does not include the promenade that will have to be almost 100% redone..The walk way is a complete disaster where they are working...

striderman

it occurs to me that the worst of the flooding and beach damage  occurs around soi 10 and to the north.

the soi's nearer to Walking Street are shorter and the run off across beach rd is less. so it could be the thinking (such as it is) is that a narrower drain will suffice for that area but a wider one for others

speedtoy
15 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Not sure when these were taken, but they were posted online today.

74914128_2698325866854997_89823236159113

72567751_2698325830188334_73737498512106

73388320_2698325846854999_88846529113893

72548758_2698325986854985_37132359917591

A free kids wading pool, whats not to like?

Scuba+
it occurs to me that the worst of the flooding and beach damage  occurs around soi 10 and to the north.
the soi's nearer to walking street are shorter and the run off across beach rd is less. so it could be the thinking (such as it is) is that a narrower drain will suffice for that area but a wider one for others
Possible but let's be honest it's unlikely. Thai logic usually. Floods can change in the future so installing wider drainage throughout would be more sensible. Don't forget the drainage pipes they laid in Buakhao, way too narrow

tulakhom
On 12/06/2019 at 07:08, striderman said:

luckily for this chap it was a dry day..................... taken jan 2014

1760660058_janfeb15039_800x512.jpg.bf4736a2508bb6875a0141301d860ae8.jpg

555 Good pictures striderman. I wonder why this guy chose this dirty place of Pattaya Bay for a sunbath apparently. At this place, the sand must saturated with bacteria and toxic products + plastic and garbage. Picture below taken in September 2019, rainy day = stink.

rain BR 240919 small.png

Edited by tulakhom

talung66

Baht bus waste of time on beach road ATM

Today i walked from central festival to royal garden and beat the traffic easy.

Anyone could have done Soi6 to W/S today quicker than a baht bus.

Not much foot path left that’s any good any more either.

tulakhom
35 minutes ago, talung66 said:

About 3 weeks ago, they were working from soi 13/4 until soi 12. Today, did they reach Tipp Plaza already ? In September, I noted that for avoiding traffic jams, some big bus passed through soi Post Office (13/2) and even through the narrow soi 12. I wonder how will be the pavement in these soi after 6 months.

Edited by tulakhom

usexpat46
On 24/10/2019 at 18:47, talung66 said:

Today when I walked south on Beach Rd the traffic was moving much quicker than when I walked a couple days ago.  What they had done was move all the parked motorbikes and cars that are usually parked in the lane next to all the buildings to the other side next to the beach, thus providing 2 lanes of traffic.

karandy
5 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

Today when I walked south on Beach Rd the traffic was moving much quicker than when I walked a couple days ago.  What they had done was move all the parked motorbikes and cars that are usually parked in the lane next to all the buildings to the other side next to the beach, thus providing 2 lanes of traffic.

there is no reason whatsoever that these m-cs shouldnt be banned permanently  to help aleviate traffic  ploplems  and ease the flow 

Taa_Saparot
35 minutes ago, karandy said:

there is no reason whatsoever that these m-cs shouldnt be banned permanently  to help aleviate traffic  ploplems  and ease the flow 

But we know the reason!

T-T-T
On 18/10/2019 at 10:14, Taa_Saparot said:

Not sure when these were taken, but they were posted online today.

74914128_2698325866854997_89823236159113

72567751_2698325830188334_73737498512106

73388320_2698325846854999_88846529113893

72548758_2698325986854985_37132359917591

October 13th I think I was in starbucks central festival  started to bucket it down walked out after it had finished  there goes the beach again    IMG_1331.JPG.b45bebb056de7e9f65554d9aab3e959f.JPG

speedtoy
2 hours ago, T-T-T said:

October 13th I think I was in starbucks central festival  started to bucket it down walked out after it had finished  there goes the beach again    IMG_1331.JPG.b45bebb056de7e9f65554d9aab3e959f.JPG

IMG_1330.MOV

a 10 meter wide section of beach 1s "the beach"?

Scuba+
He obviously doesn't mean the whole beach

speedtoy
1 minute ago, Scuba+ said:
4 hours ago, speedtoy said:

He obviously doesn't mean the whole beach

I'd hope to agree, but the way people use the BR drainage to bemoan the loss of "the beach"..I gotta believe they're not sold off on a few meters of drainage repair required on many km of total beach for drainage (until/if ever a better solution is in place) is a non issue.

Scuba+
I'd hope to agree, but the way people use the BR drainage to bemoan the loss of "the beach"..I gotta believe they're not sold off on a few meters of drainage repair required on many km of total beach for drainage (until/if ever a better solution is in place) is a non issue.
The damage is at several similar spots right along beach road.

I've never come across another beach around the world that has parts regularly washes away when it rains and needs diggers to rebuild

udontony
5 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

I've never come across another beach around the world that has parts regularly washes away when it rains and needs diggers to rebuild

The sand that they move to repair the damage on the beach comes from either side of the damaged areas so eventually the beach will be all washed away again.  They never bring the sand that has been washed into the sea back again!  You can already see the difference from when the beach was completed, there is a definite drop off half way down compared to a while ago.

Harry Brown
12 minutes ago, udontony said:

The sand that they move to repair the damage on the beach comes from either side of the damaged areas so eventually the beach will be all washed away again.  They never bring the sand that has been washed into the sea back again!  You can already see the difference from when the beach was completed, there is a definite drop off half way down compared to a while ago.

Eventually the bay will become a wading pool.

Taa_Saparot
2 hours ago, udontony said:

They have already stated it will have to be re-done again every few years.

kcappa
8 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

There are quite a few beaches like that in southern California.  That would be a problem if it ever rained in southern California.

forcebwithu
28 minutes ago, kcappa said:

There are quite a few beaches like that in southern California.  That would be a problem if it ever rained in southern California.

Not just a beach that gets washed away in Calif, but whole cliff sides too.

Edited by forcebwithu

talung66
On 24/10/2019 at 19:18, tulakhom said:

About 3 weeks ago, they were working from soi 13/4 until soi 12. Today, did they reach Tipp Plaza already ? In September, I noted that for avoiding traffic jams, some big bus passed through soi Post Office (13/2) and even through the narrow soi 12. I wonder how will be the pavement in these soi after 6 months.

yes basically there just short about up to the Indian restaurant before tipp plaza  thougt the road is blocked a bit further than tip plaza with equipment.

23 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

Did same walk today same result i see what you mean with the bikes but today where the bikes are usually parked that was the only lane to use for 100 meters where 3 lanes go into 1 lane  till TQ then it turn 2 lanes but no use with tour bus sitting in the bike parking lane then 1 lane turn to 3 lanes buy RGP  

speedtoy
On 26/10/2019 at 15:17, Scuba+ said:

No..but it's not at all such a terrible solution until the city gets its works straightened out..it's managed as well as could be.

But 'the beach' is not gone..just move right or left 50yds, and bingo, beach.

tulakhom

Bali Hai Pier : the Rose of the Winds indicates wrong directions. Update post #453, August 18.

In September, I went to Bali Hai Pier with my compass and checked the Rose of the Winds painted on the roundabout (16-point windrose). No surprise, there is a huge mistake of 98 degrees (+/- 1 degree) between the real cardinal points and those painted in 2017 (pics 1 and 2). In short, the correct geographical North is on their West, etc. There is a low-cost solution to solve the problem : to repaint the N, S, W, E, etc. at the (almost) right place, I mean at 90 degrees anticlockwise. The mistake would be only 8 degrees. At this particular location a windrose must be correct. Here, there is international events as the Int’l Fleet Review in 2017 (ASEAN’s 50th Anniversary) or int’l sports competitions. Also, everyday, thousands of tourists cross Bali Hai.

I noted another mistake : the letters are placed without respecting the usual rules (except the W and E).

On Beach Road, the Royal Garden Plaza has 2 beautiful metal windroses outside (32-point). The one in front of the main entrance is PERFECTLY oriented (pics 3 and 4). Good job !!!  The other one in front of the Wine Connection as just a gap of 3-4 degrees.

Pictues taken in June and Sept. 2019.

About this topic see also posts #456 @Oukiva , #457 tulakhom, #462 @Taa_Saparot + thread : Pattaya lost the North ! @Oukiva , January 2018.

ECB1B957-C89D-42E7-9196-E61F6FF5CFE6.jpeg

B3B12AE9-D927-4A77-B85F-2F1AE597A283.jpeg

2C0EBA3E-F0DE-4A0E-B30A-B506FCD792A6.jpeg

3E6D1D7F-4E2C-4EFE-B138-D917AF960E04.jpeg

Edited by tulakhom