striderman

pattaya beach "improvement" works

Daz Manc
On 9/30/2018 at 14:49, udontony said:

So many attempts to get the job done and heavy rain washes away loads of sand.  Think by the time they get to the south end they will have to start again at the north end!

Like painting the Golden Gate / Sydney Harbour / Forth - Bridge 

dnaliaht

Thanks for the updates. Really is a shame and wasted effort. It was nice to walk along beach road at night as the waves crash on high tide almost near it's base. Sad they are trying to create more beach area as if people really want to get in that nasty water. 

Edited by dnaliaht

froddo
On 9/30/2018 at 19:48, SirL said:

Sieving of the sand is a big thing here on the French Mediterranean coast.  

The Gold Coast is the major tourist destination in Australia. Here's how they handle it. 

6 crews to cover the whole coast daily

philkrenshaw

Epic post. Thanks for your hard work.

I may be there in February. I hope things are finished by then.

Whalley
3 hours ago, froddo said:

The Gold Coast is the major tourist destination in Australia. Here's how they handle it. 

But TIT where labour costs are 1/10 that of Australia.

On the beach in front of Mike's Mall 2 weeks ago:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

silverfox53

I don't know whether to laugh or cry ( I mostly cry ) when I see such a coastline as Thailand had being "looked after" by morons.  It's THE example of how the thinking is at best 3rd world.   Photograph it quick, cos in 10-15 years it will be gone forever IF it lasts that long.

Whalley
6 hours ago, Psudonym said:

Is this development on BR side from WS to SOI2?

The work is further to the north end right now.

bangkokgraham

I can never understand the use of the small paving stones on the walkways both in Pattaya and Jomtien. They are always getting renewed and replaced as they become lose and unstable.....unless of course the man with the contract is "friendly" with the local council so has never ending work.

kojak

They need to stop the speed boats from coming in and churning up the sand near the waters edge as this loosens the sand bottom causing it to wash away. Whilst the storm water is the major cause the boats don't help.

usexpat46

I walked by yesterday, completion is now just past the Imperial hotel and is blocked off through the View Talley Beach Rd entrance.

geezerrb
On 10/1/2018 at 21:43, geezerrb said:

Have they sorted out the promenade on beach road last time I walked down it there where many parts with missing or uneven paving?

I think maybe this was a bit off topic as it was about the beach.

On 10/5/2018 at 03:05, bangkokgraham said:

I can never understand the use of the small paving stones on the walkways both in Pattaya and Jomtien. They are always getting renewed and replaced as they become lose and unstable.....unless of course the man with the contract is "friendly" with the local council so has never ending work.

Maybe we were both a bit off post so our comments were ignored, they are talking about the beach/sand remedial. I admit last couple of trips been nowhere near BR or the beach,555.(beach 555), Last time I was on BR it was supposedly when they had the big opening previously and I think in places I was almost scrambling over piles of bricks when not ignoring the BR girls as I had to watch where I was walking.

ssidewineder
On 30/9/2561 at 16:11, SirL said:

Thanks striderman.  Some major work going on there.

Is there any indication that whatever caused the beach to erode has been eliminated, so these works will last?

AIUI sand usually collects in bays, not on promontories, so I'd expect any sand they've put adjacent to the Dusit to be the first to erode away (I suppose revealing many bags as seems to be suggested in the pics)

Is it now possible to easily walk north along the beach all the way to Wongamat?  That would be a nice walk.

No they have done nothing whatsoever to address cause of this erosion. And this winter with the Northerly wind driven waves and longshore currents all this top sand on the sandbags will be going down the river. Then with this sand washed out all these  exposed sandbags all along the beach will be be a decaying geologic mess. As you point out above with the sandbags at Dusit pt.To address the cause of the yearly problem for Pattaya bay would require some foreign engineers specializing in beach erosion:  For example construction of rock jetties .By the way this is just the latest in a series of failed projects that started in 2013. That is when that sorry mess of construction   trailers in that disaster zone above Walking st appeared  This current project is by far more substantial than the previous 3 or 4. But it is doomed to end up a mess.   

usexpat46

Update on striderman topic.  They have now completed down to Pattayaklang.  From Pattayaklang to just about the Wave hotel part of the walkway and the beach is now blocked off.  If they don't finish by Christmas they should at least be close.

SirL
10 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

If they don't finish by Christmas they should at least be close.

From the pics it seems to me that they are adding quite a bit of depth, or width, to the beach, so that the water's edge is now 20-30 metres further away from the road than before (of course this might be a low tide/low tide issue, and in high season I usually see the beach at high tide).  No doubt adding width/depth helps conventional visitors to think of it as a good beach to sunbathe on, or whatever it is people do on beaches.

If the project is aimed to add this sort of width/depth to the entire length of the beach, will this bring into play for beach users the part of the beach alongside Walking St?  Is it intended to widen the beach to create an enjoyable section there?

usexpat46
16 minutes ago, SirL said:

From the pics it seems to me that they are adding quite a bit of depth, or width, to the beach, so that the water's edge is now 20-30 metres further away from the road than before (of course this might be a low tide/low tide issue, and in high season I usually see the beach at high tide).  No doubt adding width/depth helps conventional visitors to think of it as a good beach to sunbathe on, or whatever it is people do on beaches.

If the project is aimed to add this sort of width/depth to the entire length of the beach, will this bring into play for beach users the part of the beach alongside Walking St?  Is it intended to widen the beach to create an enjoyable section there?

If you look at striderman"s photos they show that they brought in sand from the bay (providing more space for water).  They're using backhoes to dig down into the beach and placing large bags filled with sand in the dug out area, then covering up the bags with sand which has raised the beach level.  Hopefully this will reduce the amount of sand eroding into the gulf from all the rainwater that flows down to the beach.  I believe that the project extends if not to Walking St, at least nearby.

striderman

southern end of the work area yesterday................

1878133898_1nov003(Custom).JPG.169e7fcf217918af214dba26ff15d840.JPG

which is opposite...............

960406536_1nov004(Custom).JPG.8ca654d21e21a027d7bcf3c42bd8c382.JPG

very close to soi 10

Bourne189

Striderman - You have done a great job in presentation this information to everyone - Thanks

JamesFerris
On 04/12/2018 at 07:33, Bourne189 said:

Striderman - You have done a great job in presentation this information to everyone - Thanks

Agreed!  Would love to see an update on how the beach is doing.  

striderman
Just now, JamesFerris said:

Agreed!  Would love to see an update on how the beach is doing.  

ok i'll have a look today. the method used to enlarge the beach...............at least for a while...............remains the same. as each section is worked on and completed the crew open up that bit and continue the work in the direction of walking st.

Bourne189

Striderman - You have done a great job in presenting this information to everyone - Thanks - Posting this again due to the spelling error.

nzwolfgang
On 02/10/2018 at 17:02, froddo said:

Looks like Mr Humphreys.  

Scuba+

Interesting to see them widening the beach, looks a good job until it gets washed away

striderman
Just now, Bourne189 said:

Striderman - You have done a great job in presenting this information to everyone - Thanks - Posting this again due to the spelling error.

thanks. i have some pics from today but evil mr lager will not let me post them till friday. in the meantime the closed section is from opposite the wave hotel near soi 10 to about opposite the start of royal garden plaza