striderman

pattaya beach "improvement" works

khwan

I looked at it the other day, it's a lot better for sure....maybe even nice to relax there (might be going to far!). Like you say though the big problem is the water...all the sewage and shit pumped into the waters around Pattaya is gross.

striderman

now some of the mechanics....................

5bb062f20db6b_11august044(Custom).JPG.2edeb16ac8e16dfad9578728fab7e1b4.JPG

5bb0630747470_11august045(Custom).JPG.29165daa3f2f2b07c9ffb90c6427331a.JPG

first they need to fill large bags of sand

5bb0633235df8_11august048(Custom).JPG.7508b1b686c43c258d0659e0c811b9f9.JPG

diggers r us. note that frame it's used to hold the bags while being filled

5bb06379158b9_11august049(Custom).JPG.05f551a2649b4ecfbe6bda1e8a8c3d48.JPG

just like that

5bb063970ae08_11august050(Custom).JPG.4cf696408b72be69961c599028677a37.JPG

then with the bag full lift the frame forward and repeat

5bb063d1f3c11_11august051(Custom).JPG.6174986872b4518f70dd1149634ef138.JPG

5bb063e90f17e_11august052(Custom).JPG.c5d786399301e5dfb0cf2d2ce6708b18.JPG

then transfer every now again to the staging area where the sewing team are waiting...............

5bb06407e65f9_11august053(Custom).JPG.d1221b853d04a92db1de8d38be4a11b2.JPG

those guys on top use a large sewing kit machine.............just visible............to seal the bags

5bb0649f9d8f2_11august055(Custom).JPG.88448ce04385cdb4241a5c21c8a11694.JPG

with the bag sealed use the digger to tip it forward so it drops on top of straps

5bb064f48129d_11august056(Custom).JPG.e4c163d18d975af7f2d03ba91ead7d43.JPG

now use the straps to lift the bag

5bb065301d7df_11august059(Custom).JPG.57828a2a79a604b227a4dc4f0ce0201b.JPG

with the bag in the pit  release one side of the straps and the digger will pull the other side clear................and start again

then fill in the pit once you have a sandbag wall down there.

that's how it is being done as i understand it

Howdo

Thanks for the pictures and update Striderman. As has already already been said it is just a shame about the water. 

udontony

So many attempts to get the job done and heavy rain washes away loads of sand.  Think by the time they get to the south end they will have to start again at the north end!

SirL

Thanks striderman.  Some major work going on there.

Is there any indication that whatever caused the beach to erode has been eliminated, so these works will last?

AIUI sand usually collects in bays, not on promontories, so I'd expect any sand they've put adjacent to the Dusit to be the first to erode away (I suppose revealing many bags as seems to be suggested in the pics)

Is it now possible to easily walk north along the beach all the way to Wongamat?  That would be a nice walk.

Gone-east

Thanks for this, great job.

Took a walk on the completed part a few days back. 'Busy' beaches need daily cleaning and sieving and until those in control realise this its all a waste of time and money IMO.

striderman
Just now, SirL said:

Is it now possible to easily walk north along the beach all the way to Wongamat?  That would be a nice walk.

there was a concrete walkway round that point years ago and i remember walking along the beach from south pattaya all the way to the sanctuary of truth

the point at the moment, minus walkway

5bb0984544508_26sept073(Custom).JPG.e202700050389dc726b40f72d3e4b5f3.JPG

yeah i been there, done that when it was easier

5bb09875a430b_26sept074(Custom).JPG.3628421dd5de296d96763ee4ad854ffd.JPG

he soon realized this could be a clinic walk

5bb098a96cc52_26sept075(Custom).JPG.63377c8518cdf4ee7219b0fcc8defbeb.JPG

so the low road but not good when wearing socks

5bb098e2536ef_26sept079(Custom).JPG.61890dcd12357371a0f9e4272cd5a03b.JPG

he made it but also got distracted by those 2 ivan's approaching and came back to watch them climb

5bb09938ed355_26sept080(Custom).JPG.fbc9f80a3574f81c7b2eeec25d20f580.JPG

SirL
7 minutes ago, Gone-east said:

Thanks for this, great job.

Took a walk on the completed part a few days back. 'Busy' beaches need daily cleaning and sieving and until those in control realise this its all a waste of time and money IMO.

Sieving of the sand is a big thing here on the French Mediterranean coast.  Various small sections of beach seem to be private or taken over within small beach clubs (providing loungers, umbrellas, drinks, food etc) and guys from those clubs can be seen sieving the sand in their section of beach every evening.  I suppose they have to go on doing that to justify the prices those clubs charge, but all that's not a game I know much about or participate in.  It would be a major effort involving tractors etc to sieve the sand for a whole beach hundreds of metres long.  The public sections of beach are cleaned once a year in the spring, and they're fine.

stickyfingers

Looks nice when completed but Usually the sand gets washed away with heavy storms and flooding from the polluted sois which happens every year.

With all the pollution and oil in the sea it’s bit futile?

Plus if they actually cleaned and maintained the beaches and promenade like they do in Spain it would last....but TIT....it won’t last.

Edited by stickyfingers

Gone-east
13 minutes ago, SirL said:

Sieving of the sand is a big thing here on the French Mediterranean coast.  Various small sections of beach seem to be private or taken over within small beach clubs (providing loungers, umbrellas, drinks, food etc) and guys from those clubs can be seen sieving the sand in their section of beach every evening.  I suppose they have to go on doing that to justify the prices those clubs charge, but all that's not a game I know much about or participate in.  It would be a major effort involving tractors etc to sieve the sand for a whole beach hundreds of metres long.  The public sections of beach are cleaned once a year in the spring, and they're fine.

9 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Plus if they actually cleaned and maintained the beaches and promenade like they do in Spain it would last....but TIT....it won’t last.

It was what they do each evening on Spanish beaches I was thinking of. A couple of large tractors will remove most debris in a few hours from beaches much larger than Pattaya. 

I like going to Cosy beach and have often thought that if they employed just one person to keep the beach clean each day it would be a significant improvement from what it is.

Edited by Gone-east

Gone-east

I did notice signs today that the fine for dropping litter is 100,000 baht*. Maybe they plan to enforce this when the work is done. If they do (unlikely) that would certainly make the scum who leave their litter think twice.

* Maybe it was 10,000 baht and my eyesight is worse than I thought ...

SirL
8 minutes ago, Gone-east said:

I like going to Cosy beach and have often thought that if they employed just one person to keep the beach clean each day it would be a significant improvement from what it is.

The problem is who exactly is the "they" who'd pay that one person.

Here in France the private beach clubs pay (peanuts to) a junior guy to tidy things up on their short section of beach every evening in summer, and the main public beaches are raked by tractors paid for by the local council once a year in spring.  Quite a lot of seaweed and branches collect after the winter storms, but summer is very calm so just one cleaning a year in spring is fine.

striderman
Just now, Gone-east said:

I did notice signs today that the fine for dropping litter is 100,000 baht*. Maybe they plan to enforce this when the work is done. If they do (unlikely) that would certainly make the scum who leave their litter think twice.

* Maybe it was 10,000 baht and my eyesight is worse than I thought ...

here u go

5bb0f2e22b15d_11august063(Custom).JPG.7a7986c48b5b5d2df988f3d0cc606198.JPG

ferther

Thank for the photos. Its good to see beach improvement works.

In my opinion they must find a way to decrease boat population.

There are too many speeadboats and jetskies near the beach.

They cause polution and naoise.

Jeffinak

I was thinking that the speed boats where moving to Bali Hi

6 hours ago, ferther said:

Thank for the photos. Its good to see beach improvement works.

In my opinion they must find a way to decrease boat population.

striderman
Just now, Jeffinak said:

I was thinking that the speed boats where moving to Bali Hi

there have been several attempts but they keep coming back. i think they are lets just say, well connected

Barhop
6 hours ago, ferther said:

I mentioned on another thread, a few trips ago, about a boat I was observing backed up to the beach.  Boat operator was doing all the boaty things.  Used a large plastic container to top up his tank (2 stroke probably) then just threw it off the side and didn't give a toss.  No lid on it, so eventually it was going to fill and sink, dispersing all the remaining fuel :sad:  Could see the container bouncing up and down against his boat, depressing, yet we in the west maybe would have done the same 30 or more years ago...

Ralphanous

The new section is a lot nicer to sit on a beach chair as you can't see the water :Oops1:

Captain Dave
On 9/30/2018 at 06:56, khwan said:

I looked at it the other day, it's a lot better for sure....maybe even nice to relax there (might be going to far!). Like you say though the big problem is the water...all the sewage and shit pumped into the waters around Pattaya is gross.

It is still bad, much of the pollution being run-off during rain events.

Believe it or not a huge amount of money has been spent on sewage treatment plants and systems 

and it is much better than it was 15 - 20 years ago.

Still very much a work in progress.

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Great work as always @striderman. Top class reporting- thanks for your efforts.

Elvira

You should take some pictures at night when it becomes a stray dog dormitory.

geezerrb

Have they sorted out the promenade on beach road last time I walked down it there where many parts with missing or uneven paving?