Siam Sam

Motorcycle hire in Vietnam

Siam Sam

I'm spending two weeks in Vietnam soon and I'm starting my trip in Hanoi. I'm planning on hiring a motorcycle and driving to Halong Bay which I've been told will take about five hours. However, some people have told me that foreigners aren't allowed to hire motorcycles in Vietnam. Is that true? Some people have warned me not to drive there on a motorcycle as it's too dangerous but I like a challenge and that makes it even more appealing. Has anyone made this journey on a motorcycle and if so can you give me any advice? 

I know many people who hire and do the moto routes in Vietnam. Make sure you have proper licence AND insurance. Motorcycle touring in Vietnam is quite popular, .

Fr_loper

Technically speaking, a traveler should have a valid licence back home and an international drivers permit. However, even with an international drivers permit the situation is still not understood or clear and remains a grey area. If you look further, Vietnam has not signed the IDP, so very unclear... but you will see many white people driving motorbike in vietnam.

Just look inside you IDP, vietnam is missing.

Edited by Fr_loper

40 nil

Always read the fine print on your travel insurance re riding motorcycles 

I had to help a friend who whilst injured whilst riding a bike in Thailand ran up a $13,000 US dollar medical bill at Rayon Bangkok international hospital  ICU 

Edited by 40 nil

KokoP
Posted (edited)

There was a YouTube video of an American Couple that rode a Scooter from Ho Chi Minh City all  way to Hanoi. They used this company and rented new Honda Bikes.

https://www.tigitmotorbikes.com

Edited by KokoP
Typos