Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

USA - ATT $10 a day in Thailand question

medie3val

Has anyone used AT&T mobile data in Thailand using their $10 day passes?  I'm considering it purely to have less hassle, and to keep my phone number.  It's not going to be worth the money if it's not 4g speeds, though.

I bought the 4 gig travel pack for like 120 I think it was. My trip was like 16 days not including travel time so I saved money overall compared to the 10 bucks a day, if your trip is shorter than it would make more sense tho. Good service throughout tho just like at home, my phone didn't miss a beat. 

google fi is another option. you get unrestricted lte speeds in 140 countries  including thailand . its 10 dollars a gb up to max 60 dollars cap at 6gb (you get up to 15 gb at 60 dollars}. you only pay for what you use. (example if you use .8 gb its only 8 dollars). they have a phone plan and a data plan. the only caveat is that you need to use google to use the sim as phone. for data once activated you can use it in any device. 

they call me mr. botolo always down to represent the 808

Just to point this out... T-Mobile (and Sprint) offers FREE 2G data throughout Thailand, plus there's decent free WiFI available pretty much everywhere nowadays.  I haven't bought a Thai SIM for about 2 years now.  IMHO, unless you're watching streaming movies on your phone while in the gogos, 4G is way overkill.  2G is perfectly fine for using Line, TF, and FB.  If you need to make a call, find one of the many free WiFi hotspots around.

The cell carrier market is super competitive right now.  Maybe you could leverage the above knowledge somehow to get AT&T to give you a discount (or even free). 

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Thanks all. Google FI requires specific phones, and 2G is way too slow for my needs. I don’t mind $10 a day as long as it’s 4g.

Get a dual sim phone and a Thai SIM.

Sent from my View XL using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t a Thai SIM card cost far less than $10 a day? I only go for short trips, so I get a 10-day SIM card for around 500 baht, IIRC, so 50 baht a day (around $1.50). Pretty sure it is 4G - my iPhone seems to work as fast there as it does here.

I tried Verizon’s “International” plan about 8-10 years ago - it may be better now, but it didn’t work at all in the areas I visited then (Thailand and Hong Kong). My business partner had the same issue. As noted, it was years ago, so maybe better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The att international 10$ day works fine. I was on 4g lte the whole time.  It’s not the cheapest option but functionally works the same as home if you have reason to use the service. 

Even iPhones have dual SIM now. No reason to get raped by the carriers!

No dual sim in iPhone.  Can buy an aftermarket adapter and run 2 sims.

However, iPhone has never had space for an internal second SIM card unlike its rivals, so using dual-SIMrequires you to buy hardware. One Bluetooth dual-SIM card adapter compatible with iPhone is the NeeCoo Magic Card. It syncs a second Micro SIM card to your iPhone. ... We show you how to use it with your iPhone.

No dual sim in iPhone.  Can buy an aftermarket adapter and run 2 sims.

However, iPhone has never had space for an internal second SIM card unlike its rivals, so using dual-SIMrequires you to buy hardware. One Bluetooth dual-SIM card adapter compatible with iPhone is the NeeCoo Magic Card. It syncs a second Micro SIM card to your iPhone. ... We show you how to use it with your iPhone.

New iPhones just came out with dual SIM. More reason to upgrade!

The new ones are dual SIM, but only true dual SIM card in China models. Rest of world is one eSIM (embedded SIM card, not many carriers support it yet, but that will change fast now I suspect. It’s the same type of SIM being used in watches etc) and one normal SIM slot.

So if your main carrier supports eSIM you can run them on that and then use the tray for your Thai sim.

I've used the AT&T and Verizon international plan which are both $10 per day and you get the same package as your have in your home country. I need to be available via talk, text and email 7 days a week at my number so this was the option I went with. I found the speeds to be good, and most of the time it was on a 4G network but sometimes in areas like Koh Chang, etc it would roam onto different Thai networks and be slower. Used with wifi it is a decent option - but if you want lowest cost you'd probably want to go with a Thai SIM.

I've used the AT&T and Verizon international plan which are both $10 per day and you get the same package as your have in your home country. I need to be available via talk, text and email 7 days a week at my number so this was the option I went with. I found the speeds to be good, and most of the time it was on a 4G network but sometimes in areas like Koh Chang, etc it would roam onto different Thai networks and be slower. Used with wifi it is a decent option - but if you want lowest cost you'd probably want to go with a Thai SIM.
Business travelers should always have dual SIM.

On 9/16/2018 at 15:33, Buddy Edgewood said:

Just to point this out... T-Mobile (and Sprint) offers FREE 2G data throughout Thailand, plus there's decent free WiFI available pretty much everywhere nowadays.  I haven't bought a Thai SIM for about 2 years now.  IMHO, unless you're watching streaming movies on your phone while in the gogos, 4G is way overkill.  2G is perfectly fine for using Line, TF, and FB.  If you need to make a call, find one of the many free WiFi hotspots around.

The cell carrier market is super competitive right now.  Maybe you could leverage the above knowledge somehow to get AT&T to give you a discount (or even free). 

T-Mobile is considerably cheaper than ATT also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biennial said:

T-Mobile is considerably cheaper than ATT also.

You can lead a horse to water... :Think1:

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

• 1 year later...

Spectrum are doing some good rates for roaming in Thailand if you are a low data user. If your hammering the data, better with a Thai SIM.

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 15.12.30.png

On 16/09/2018 at 17:33, Buddy Edgewood said:

I had no issues using the free T-Mobile 2G last time I was in Bangkok. I think it said 3G on my phone if I remember correctly, but didn’t bother doing a speed test. IT was certainty faster than the 2G throttle in the US. I was prepared to get a local sim, but there was really no point. Google maps, YouTube, etc all worked fine. I guess if you wanted to watch movies on your phone or something then it would be an issue, but WiFi is so readily available why would you? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Spectrum are doing some good rates for roaming in Thailand if you are a low data user. If your hammering the data, better with a Thai SIM.

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 15.12.30.png

Very interesting!  I just switched to Spectrum (from Verizon) and, so far, have seen no noticeable change....except a bill that is about 60% less!  5555

That shouldn't come as a surprise, though, as it is my understanding that Spectrum piggybacks on Verizon's system.

I could NEVER get my phone to work Internationally with Verizon, even using an International plan. I think it may be a glitch or setting on my phone.

In any event, if I can get basic data via Spectrum to get me to my hotel, it opens up a number of cheaper local SIM options that the Tourist ones at the airport. Something to consider....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Very interesting!  I just switched to Spectrum (from Verizon) and, so far, have seen no noticeable change....except a bill that is about 60% less!  5555

That shouldn't come as a surprise, though, as it is my understanding that Spectrum piggybacks on Verizon's system.

I could NEVER get my phone to work Internationally with Verizon, even using an International plan. I think it may be a glitch or setting on my phone.

I use Verizon here at home for my mobile service.

The last few trips last year I use the 'international' plan when in Thailand. and once while on a layover in South Korea.

It cost me $10 USD for a 24 hours period and for only for the days you used it. It included my same home unlimited plan for calls, text and data.

The coverage and speed was very good and I only used it for emergency back up for calls to and from home as I have a Thai phone.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

In any event, if I can get basic data via Spectrum to get me to my hotel, it opens up a number of cheaper local SIM options that the Tourist ones at the airport. Something to consider....

I think you need a world phone (GSM/CDMA combo) to get Verizon work internationally.

Worked great for me...but ya a little pricey. 

But worth it for no hassles at the time...nov.2018

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

I think you need a world phone (GSM/CDMA combo) to get Verizon work internationally.

I didn't need a 'world phone' just my regular Samsung S6 that I use in the US and signed up for the international roaming.

Again not charge for signing up, but only if you use it while in an other country.

I have used my Verizon phone in Japan, South Korea and Thailand without any problems and with good connections.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I didn't need a 'world phone' just my regular Samsung S6 that I use in the US and signed up for the international roaming.
Again not charge for signing up, but only if you use it while in an other country.
I have used my Verizon phone in Japan, South Korea and Thailand without any problems and with good connections.

A “world phone” means a phone that has both GSM and CDMA support. This applies to CDMA carriers in the US (Verizon and Sprint). Most, if not all, newish phones have both. The Samsung S6 is considered a world phone.

I use Verizon here at home for my mobile service.
The last few trips last year I use the 'international' plan when in Thailand. and once while on a layover in South Korea.
It cost me $10 USD for a 24 hours period and for only for the days you used it. It included my same home unlimited plan for calls, text and data.
The coverage and speed was very good and I only used it for emergency back up for calls to and from home as I have a Thai phone.

Yep - my friend was on Verizon and had an iPhone and his worked fine while we were in Kiev, but mine wouldn’t. I tried copying all of his settings and had another friend who is my “tech guru” try to figure it out, all to no avail.

I called Verizon after I got back, and their tech people couldn’t figure it out either.

In Thailand, the $10 USD/day never makes sense, given how cheap SIM cards are.