Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Renting for noobs

wogggy

What are things I should look out for when renting. 

I would like 9 months to a year. 

How much bond do they usually require ? Do I need to pay letting fees etc? 

What are things I should look out for when viewing rooms and meeting agents? 

I would like to stay in central patts. Just a 1br. Budget around 15k per month

I'm no expert and have never rented long term in Thailand. By doing some research on the forum you will probably find all your questions answered.

What I do know is:

1. Check rates for water/electric. Some places you get it billed by the city? Some places by the housing complex (can be way more expensive).

2. Agent fees are to be payed by the owner, not the buyer/renter.

3. By bond you mean security deposit? I guess it became illegal in Thailand, but it seems to be still often required. Usually it should be 1 months rent.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

42 minutes ago, stacksreg123 said:

3. By bond you mean security deposit? I guess it became illegal in Thailand, but it seems to be still often required. Usually it should be 1 months rent.

The rule changes was down to a max of 1 month (most where charging 2 some 3) and I "think" that change only applied to people with 5 or more properties.

Two months bond seems a bit OTT. 

I suppose they are willing to negotiate on that unless they only want one month's worth. 

I've been looking at some ads on bahtsold.com and they seem pretty reasonably priced. 

The strongest piece of advice I would give you is to avoid Thai/Chinese landlords. Owners, agents, anything to do with renting a property, if they are Chinese or Thai of Chinese descent, avoid them like the plague. I could give you a very long list of reasons why.

Try to get a place where the electricity is billed at the government rate. That is 4 or 4.5 baht a unit. When you pay thru a landlord, they will usually jack that up to 7 or 8 baht a unit, sticking the difference in their own pocket. If they are Thai/Chinese they will probably over bill you as well.

Personally i wouldn't pay 2 months deposit, I'd find somewhere else. Check if wifi included, regular cleaning or end of tenancy cleaning. Some try to pass on communal fees, doesn't seem right to me.

If a farang you could even ask what the procedure is for getting the deposit back, if you get a crap answer maybe keep looking.

The most important thing is its an area you like, is quiet so you can sleep and probably near transport unless you have a motorbike.

On 9/11/2018 at 20:11, Ru4Real said:

The rule changes was down to a max of 1 month (most where charging 2 some 3) and I "think" that change only applied to people with 5 or more properties.

Yes the law says max 1 month is for landlords who own 5 or more properties.

Most ask for 2 months, some expat landlords more flexible with 1 month, and some thai landlords insist on 3 months.  All depends on how much you want the rental and how competitive is the rent.  I paid 3 months deposit because long term lease, apartment is what we want and the rent being paid is at least a few thousand if not more less than what is being asked for on the market for less nicer units.

ez

Stick with big companies. They usually have fair conditions. I'm with Siam Oriental Condos. They have a ton of apartments in Pratamnak. Cheap rents and 1 month deposit. Electricity is 6bht/unit and water 40bht/unit but that's not a big deal. They have central office for rentals where you can pay the rent and the other bills. They also repair stuff(ac etc) very fast after the complaint. 

They claim the apartments are built with European standards and I agree. Way better build quality than in thai developments. 

On 12.9.2018 at 13:00, Pattaya_Brian said:

The strongest piece of advice I would give you is to avoid Thai/Chinese landlords. Owners, agents, anything to do with renting a property, if they are Chinese or Thai of Chinese descent, avoid them like the plague. I could give you a very long list of reasons why.

Try to get a place where the electricity is billed at the government rate. That is 4 or 4.5 baht a unit. When you pay thru a landlord, they will usually jack that up to 7 or 8 baht a unit, sticking the difference in their own pocket. If they are Thai/Chinese they will probably over bill you as well.

I rented from 3 Thais and 2 Farangs. From the Thais I got my deposit back the day I left, I had to run around to get it from the Farangs. Should I move back to Thailand, I will have no problems to rent from Thais again.

On another thread someone said one Chinese investor had bought more than 30 condos in one block.

How about saying I'll pay 6 months rent up front in cash, no deposit, anyone tried that?

8 hours ago, ZRHuser said:

I rented from 3 Thais and 2 Farangs. From the Thais I got my deposit back the day I left, I had to run around to get it from the Farangs. Should I move back to Thailand, I will have no problems to rent from Thais again.

You quoted me but I don't understand your point. Are you confusing what I quite plainly said about renting from Thai/Chinese and renting from Thais? Apparently so.

There is nothing wrong with renting from Thais in most instances. Renting from Thai/Chinese is a whole different matter entirely.

Definition of Thai/Chinese: Chinese people who were born and raised in Thailand and are 100% Thai citizens. 

The point I was making: Thai/Chinese will fuck you over at every opportunity and in many cases will create opportunities to fuck you over. They own substantial real estate holdings in Thailand. They are to be avoided like the plague.

Call that prejudice if you want. But  if you're wise, you will take it as fact.

Do you need a Thai bank account to rent for say 3+ months?

How do you pay for your electric, water etc otherwise?

11 minutes ago, Mr_wimpy said:

Do you need a Thai bank account to rent for say 3+ months?

Good question

9 minutes ago, Mr_wimpy said:

Cash at 7 easiest I believe.

Just now, Ru4Real said:

Cash at 7 easiest I believe.

How do you pay your actual monthly rent and deposit too?  Presuming the rent will be a direct debit

Cash I assume :Dunno1:

Never rented long time; but paying at 7 for utilities is well known. I suppose you could set up a direct debit transfer.

How do you pay your actual monthly rent and deposit too?  Presuming the rent will be a direct debit
I've only ever paid cash for deposit, rent, elec and water. Maybe condos are different, depends on the landlord

2 hours ago, Mr_wimpy said:

Depends on your landlord. But I never paid via direct debit (never would). I paid at the Condo Office, or just used my Thai Bank Account to send the money every month. One time I rented from a Agent Office and got in once a month and paid in cash. For a 3 month rent I probably would just pay for the 3 month in one go at the start (if I trust the landlord that is). 

Utilities: One time included in the rent, next got the bill to pay at 7/11 and one time I had to pay them at Condo Office. All have been at Government rates. 

If you will get to pay the bill yourself and pay at 7/11 be aware of the final date you have to pay. If you miss that, you can not pay anymore at 7/11. I once missed it and they nearly cut off my electricity (7 days after the final day). In my western mind I thought, well I will get just a new bill later with the amount of 2 periods. In that case I had to go asap to the Electricity Company Office and pay there. 

Thanks.

Can you pay at the condo office with a UK debit card?  Or do you pay cash there too?

just thinking because I can only withdraw 10k baht + 220bht % per day, so would have to be organised to pay in cash, if your rent was say 20k odd.  Not the end of the world, just a bit inconvenient.

So for a three month contract, will I be expected to pay for my first month and hand over a two-month deposit? For a total of three months rent when I first move in? I’ve never rented any kind of apartment in my life so this will be new for me. Just wondering how much cash I’d need when I first rent. Sounds like I’ll need a lot, lol.

Just now, wildhorse said:

So for a three month contract, will I be expected to pay for my first month and hand over a two-month deposit? For a total of three months rent when I first move in? I’ve never rented any kind of apartment in my life so this will be new for me. Just wondering how much cash I’d need when I first rent. Sounds like I’ll need a lot, lol.

Stick with the 1 month deposit. If someone asks 2-3 months deposit, just walk away. If the renter have more than 5 apartments it's actually against the law to ask more than 1 month deposit.

On 16/09/2018 at 14:02, Mr_wimpy said:

Do you need a Thai bank account to rent for say 3+ months?NO

Usually if government rates  the electric bill stays in the owners name and you take the bill to 7/11 and can pay by cash or card.direct to the juristic office if not.

Water is generally paid directly to the juristic office usually in cash 

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

On 22/09/2018 at 15:42, jpmelville said:

Stick with the 1 month deposit. If someone asks 2-3 months deposit, just walk away. If the renter have more than 5 apartments it's actually against the law to ask more than 1 month deposit.

I see your point as a renter i only have left 1 months deposit but paid for 6 months in full.

Thought i am not a land lord it is well known here that some renters ask landlords for discounts for long rentals and smaller deposits.and get fucked over by leaving after a not fulfilling there contract and leaves the landlord out of pocket. 

I see your point as a renter i only have left 1 months deposit but paid for 6 months in full.
Thought i am not a land lord it is well known here that some renters ask landlords for discounts for long rentals and smaller deposits.and get fucked over by leaving after a not fulfilling there contract and leaves the landlord out of pocket. 
As a landlord thats easily fixed by agreeing to the lower deposit and / or rent if the tenant pays 6/12 months up front

2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:
4 hours ago, talung66 said:

As a landlord thats easily fixed by agreeing to the lower deposit and / or rent if the tenant pays 6/12 months up front

Yes exactly what i was trying to convey as the general them in this thread.is not to leave 2 or more month deposit.

Archived