IGNORED

Drinks on Flights to Middle East

Rainsberger

Hi Guys

Not sure what this means regarding drinking on Middle Eastern Airlines does not look good though cannot imagine not having a beer.

The British Embassy in the United Arab Emirates has warned Brits they could be arrested for drinking on flights to the Middle East. 

The announcement came after British mother-of-three Dr Ellie Holman was recently jailed for drinking a glass of wine on an Emirates flight from Gatwick.

The 44-year-old claims she was spat at and had her hair pulled while she was held in prison for three days over the incident on July 13.

The Detained In Dubai human rights group has now pledged to seek clarification on the rules from all airlines flying through the UAE. 

Writing on their Facebook page on Thursday, the Embassy warned travellers about drinking alcohol in the federation, including on inbound flights. 

Alcohol licences are required for residents, while tourists are restricted to consuming alcohol in a hotel or licensed premises.

The post reads: “If caught carrying or drinking alcohol without a licence or with alcohol in your blood, you can be arrested.

“It is a punishable offence to be under the influence of alcohol in public – including when transiting through the UAE.

“It can result in custodial sentences and/or a fine.”

The post appeared to be part of a series on the “UK in UAE” page about consular matters.

Holman, a dentist who lives in Kent with her partner Gary and their three children, was detained after drinking a glass of wine on her eight-hour Emirates Airline flight to Dubai. 

The charges were later dropped.

Radha Stirling, chief executive of human rights group Detained in Dubai, said: “In light of the FCO’s announcement, we will be contacting all airlines who transit to or through the UAE to clarify their position on serving alcohol to passengers.

“Either the UAE will need to reform their laws urgently, or the airlines will need to update their policy to ensure the safety of customers.” 

She was being a dick of course, but it is slightly worrying if someone took issue with you and they check your alcohol level.

Odds are probably super slim with millions passing through these airports.

Hi Guys
Not sure what this means regarding drinking on Middle Eastern Airlines does not look good though cannot imagine not having a beer.
The British Embassy in the United Arab Emirates has warned Brits they could be arrested for drinking on flights to the Middle East. 
The announcement came after British mother-of-three Dr Ellie Holman was recently jailed for drinking a glass of wine on an Emirates flight from Gatwick.
The 44-year-old claims she was spat at and had her hair pulled while she was held in prison for three days over the incident on July 13.
The Detained In Dubai human rights group has now pledged to seek clarification on the rules from all airlines flying through the UAE. 
Writing on their Facebook page on Thursday, the Embassy warned travellers about drinking alcohol in the federation, including on inbound flights. 
Alcohol licences are required for residents, while tourists are restricted to consuming alcohol in a hotel or licensed premises.
The post reads: “If caught carrying or drinking alcohol without a licence or with alcohol in your blood, you can be arrested.
“It is a punishable offence to be under the influence of alcohol in public – including when transiting through the UAE.
“It can result in custodial sentences and/or a fine.”

The post appeared to be part of a series on the “UK in UAE” page about consular matters.
Holman, a dentist who lives in Kent with her partner Gary and their three children, was detained after drinking a glass of wine on her eight-hour Emirates Airline flight to Dubai. 
The charges were later dropped.
Radha Stirling, chief executive of human rights group Detained in Dubai, said: “In light of the FCO’s announcement, we will be contacting all airlines who transit to or through the UAE to clarify their position on serving alcohol to passengers.
“Either the UAE will need to reform their laws urgently, or the airlines will need to update their policy to ensure the safety of customers.” 
Bullshit she had invalid visa and got stroppy with immigration

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

She had a single glass of wine on what, an 6hr flight and still had a blood alcohol level that was measurable? I find that really hard to understand. 

As posted above, it was more likely her attitude at being refused entry that lead to her being detained. The rest is probably just smoke and mirrors on her behalf. 

Don't go with a middle eastern airline: going Eva, thai or china eastern is just as cheap or a bit extra and they're, except for china eastern,   a direct flight from London. Oh and drink all the piss water you want.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

I've flown in multiple airlines from the middle east. At least 12,13 times in the past 3 years.
Went to KSA, UAE, Lebanon, Egypt etc...
for KSA, yeah, no alcohol anywhere (not served on flights), unless you're in a special compound outside the jurisdiction of the KSA gov (that has the same protections as an embassy).
Dubai, UAE, plenty of pubs, clubs, alcohol served in flights, just don't get drunk arriving to the airport.
Other airlines to the above destinations; MEA and other flights will provide alcohol and drink to your heart's content, just don't be a douche, and cause drunk scenes which is probably illegal in any part of the world since the flight attendant can cut you off at any time if he/she sees your getting more than tipsy. 
Hope that clarifies and helps.

Royal Brunei is a dry airline: no alcoholic drinks served onboard.

I have flown them once, B787 Dreamliner Melbourne-Brunei-Bangkok and return; did not stay in Brunei apart from changing planes but I believe alcohol is not available there because it is strict Muslim.

I had read on the web that if one buys duty-free alcohol in e.g. Melbourne and carries it in a sealed bag, it may be confiscated as one changes planes in Dubai.

Apart from this, the airline is good if one is not a dedicated boozer. Flight back had two or three hours layover and it took about thirty minutes to get just a cup of coffee! Would fly Royal Brunei again if the price is right and the schedule is a bit tighter.

39 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

Royal Brunei is a dry airline: no alcoholic drinks served onboard.

I have flown them once, B787 Dreamliner Melbourne-Brunei-Bangkok and return; did not stay in Brunei apart from changing planes but I believe alcohol is not available there because it is strict Muslim.

I had read on the web that if one buys duty-free alcohol in e.g. Melbourne and carries it in a sealed bag, it may be confiscated as one changes planes in Dubai.

Apart from this, the airline is good if one is not a dedicated boozer. Flight back had two or three hours layover and it took about thirty minutes to get just a cup of coffee! Would fly Royal Brunei again if the price is right and the schedule is a bit tighter.

I believe that the confiscation at Dubai of pre-purchased DF at Dubai is more due to security issues, rather than an alcohol ban. Similar to what can happen at BKK. 

Each Muslim country based airline needs to be reviewed before buying a ticket on them as you so rightly pointed out with Royal Brunei. 

Malaysia Airlines no longer serve alcohol on flights under 2 hrs, not sure if it’s a regilion or economic based decision but BKK - KL is alcohol free nowadays. 

Absolutely nothing to do with drinking alcohol on the plane, but the British media with the usual Dubai headline making nonsense

The daft cunt tried to enter Dubai with an out of date passport, then swore & shouted at the immigration officer when refused entry before trying to film him on her phone. Anybody who travels knows you don't behave like this.

14 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

Royal Brunei is a dry airline: no alcoholic drinks served onboard

I have been served a bottle of champers i bought at duty free on their flight. After they chilled it. But yeah, no booze provided.

This informatory warning advice came from a British Gov agency, so does have some weight although the original press story was heavily biased and thin on the relevant behaviou of the wine drinking passenger.

Guess I am not going to be enjoying the bevy on the leg onto Doha if it comes with the prospect of a breathalyser in the transit area!

Just now, Derbynjoan said:

This informatory warning advice came from a British Gov agency, so does have some weight although the original press story was heavily biased and thin on the relevant behaviou of the wine drinking passenger.

Guess I am not going to be enjoying the bevy on the leg onto Doha if it comes with the prospect of a breathalyser in the transit area!

I did enjoy lot's of wine and some cognac also. One of the rare airlines where staff button works also in the economy. 

Yeh she was making a scene, someone took a diskiking to her and made her life a misery. It can happen.

I always fly through UAE and always drink, i wont be stopping this practice. But i wont be blazing drunk running around the airport like its Soi 6 attracting attention to myself.

Emirates has actual bars on their A380's serving cocktails and champagne, so it's not like they're trying to stop customers from drinking...

She was told on arrival that her visa did not have enough days left on it for her entire trip so was told the best thing to do was return to the UK and get a new visa.

She threw a strop and said she didn't want to do that as the 6 hour flight across with her demon spawn of a little brat had been causing hell on the plane and she'd only drank wine to help her cope with the child kicking off.

When they told her she needed to calm down she flew into a rage and started filming the immigration officer saying she'd get them sacked.

Throwing her in jail because she'd had some wine does seem very excessive but she broke the rules by filming in the immigration hall and threatened the officer.

End of the day most of these Muslim country rules are still in the dark ages, but in my opinion I just wouldn't go there in the 1st place

Last few trips non direct I have been able to purchase large beers in the middle east airports costing anything from £11-£14. I decided that  with the longer flight the cost of having a couple of drinks and extortionate price of not just meals but snacks it was cheaper to go back to direct also I as surprised by how many "westerners" in the ME airports were "well in drink" before boarding.

A male islamic immigration officer being shouted at in public by a female infidel. That was never going to have a happy ending.

Wouldn't have a happy ending in most countries around the world, nothing to do with religion at all

You simply don't behave like that in an airport unless you're a complete idiot

This news sounded familiar. Another thread on her antics from the beginning of August.

Best to remember there's always two sides to a story. The "woe, they done me wrong" side of a story, and then "what really happened" side.

Deported Swede Ellie Holman concedes she made visa 'mistake' at Dubai airport

I have flown Middle Eastern airlines connecting through the Middle East while flying to BKK and I recall being served alcohol.

Sent from my View XL using Tapatalk

• Ru4Real locked this topic

Archived