IGNORED

Average prices for glasses in Pattaya

how122255

I went looking for new glasses, mostly used when I am driving.  One mall shop quoted me 3,400 for clear and 5,300 for daytime with dark tint. Another shop was 6,500.  In both places I told them I was looking for the lowest price frames. I haven't bought glasses ever in Thailand and before I always had health insurance so I am not familiar with glasses prices.  Are these 'fair' prices.  Anyone know when they can be had for less ?  My prescription is strong in one eye and the other eye is not far from normal. Thanks for any help.

Since having lens replacements in both eyes Ive not needed glasses for years. But your prices seem strong (and bear in mind that many western countries have mail order glasses at phenomenal cheap prices). As a litmus test go here on Klang for a quote, its a mom n pop type place and prices (always were) at the lower end of the spectrum:

spex.JPG?raw=1

(the corner shop with red lettering)

I don't have an answer would like to know as well what a good price for glasses is in Thailand. Also to piggyback on that, what are good items if any to specifically purchase in Thailand? I mean are there any good items I should pick up that would be cheaper than in the states?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, klutztheduck said:

I mean are there any good items I should pick up that would be cheaper than in the states?

Answer, everything, except for obviously Made in Thailand things, i.e. farm products and humans.

Why would anything else be cheaper in Thailand, specifically why would glasses?, do you think that Thai distribution is cheaper than American? How much/ frame does shipping cost from China, a cent/a dime, your guess as good as mine.

Now Thailand is poorer than the USA so much bottom level stuff is available that no one bothers to import to the USA but that is it.

Some time ago a BM was questioning why Tyres (tires) for his pick up were not cheaper here than at his home,  Amazing.

What about dentistry? I heard people go to Asian often for dental procedures but I thought that was like Singapore and Malaysia? Is that something to look into?

On 08/09/2018 at 15:00, how122255 said:

I went looking for new glasses, mostly used when I am driving.  One mall shop quoted me 3,400 for clear and 5,300 for daytime with dark tint. Another shop was 6,500.  In both places I told them I was looking for the lowest price frames. I haven't bought glasses ever in Thailand and before I always had health insurance so I am not familiar with glasses prices.  Are these 'fair' prices. 

Replacement single-focus reading lenses cost me between 500-1000B here, depending on whether I want the anti-reflection coating or not. I dont suppose tinting would add much to that, though lenses that change tint in the sun will. Progressive lenses will also cost more, but you wont need those for driving any more than I do for reading.

Frames seem to cost anywhere from 1000B up though I generally just get new lenses for mine.

I suggest you try the very nice man in First Optic:

https://goo.gl/maps/3xRPXcnBBnp

On 09/09/2018 at 03:10, klutztheduck said:

What about dentistry? I heard people go to Asian often for dental procedures but I thought that was like Singapore and Malaysia? Is that something to look into?

Worth looking into, but there are many countries in Europe that charge similar prices to here, or even less. Spain, for example. If you are comparing with the more expensive European countries then it usually is cheaper here.

The problem with dentists here, as with everything, is finding someone competent to do the job at any price. Paying peanuts and getting monkeys is not a good deal, unless you are an organ-grinder.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Worth looking into, but there are many countries in Europe that charge similar prices to here, or even less. Spain, for example. If you are comparing with the more expensive European countries then it usually is cheaper here.

The problem with dentists here, as with everything, is finding someone competent to do the job at any price. Paying peanuts and getting monkeys is not a good deal, unless you are an organ-grinder.

I go to Thailand for cheap sex. Not for cheap dental or health care, rather pay western prices for western quality. Now if I lived there that would be different.

If you want the cheapest costing glasses, go to the open markets and look around for those selling glasses and frames.  Frames as low as a few hundred baht, lens prices depend on quality level.  

You CAN get glasses really cheap here if you want 1-2000 baht especially from the chain opticians. BUT if you really need glasses i would strongly suggest you go to one of the proper opticians who are qualified to check your eyes, give you a good prescription and buy some decent frames. For that you will pay around 6,000 baht. Personally i would rather do that and have a set which suits me and lasts 5 years than some rubbish which is next to useless.  The only one i would use is Euro Optic on 2nd Road opposite The Garden Plaza.

5 hours ago, Wolf Cat said:

If you want the cheapest costing glasses, go to the open markets and look around for those selling glasses and frames.  Frames as low as a few hundred baht, lens prices depend on quality level.  

If you really want the cheapest

Go to Chinatown in BKK

where these stall holders get their stock from

On 09/09/2018 at 04:10, klutztheduck said:

Please don't threadfuck, the topic is about glasses.

• 2 weeks later...

2,500 for the frame, lens and measurements at a place in Central Marina. 20 minutes for them to make it too. Forgot the name of the place, 1st floor north side. I'm happy with them 4 months later.

30 minutes ago, Epicurus. said:

2,500 for the frame, lens and measurements at a place in Central Marina. 20 minutes for them to make it too. Forgot the name of the place, 1st floor north side. I'm happy with them 4 months later.

Thanks !   I just saw a promotion sign for 950 baht for frames and lens at Charoen...I am Not recommending them.

Archived