brutox

.. EXPAT RANKINGS - Thailand 4th in SE Asia

brutox

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1535962/expat-survey-puts-thailand-fourth-in-asean

Expat survey puts Thailand fourth in Asean

7 Sep 2018

Despite the many high-profile international campaigns that tout the welcoming people, exotic food and attractions of the Land of Smiles, Thailand is not the top choice for expats in Southeast Asia, according to a new survey.

aaaaaaaa.jpg.69d84eeaf10aabee1f0c681839e98ea8.jpg

The country is not even second or third among the seven Asean nations that were ranked by Expat Insider. It placed fourth after Singapore, Vietnam and Malaysia in this year's survey released on Friday.

The Philippines, Indonesia and Myanmar were ranked below Thailand. The positions remained unchanged from last year. Cambodia, Laos and Brunei were not on the list.

Expat Insider based its conclusions on responses from 18,135 expatriates of 178 nationalities living in 187 countries or territories in the online survey conducted from Feb 15 to March 7. They were asked to rate the country where they were residing on 48 factors from quality of life to financial facilities. All were factored into the calculation of the rankings.

The survey did not detail how Thailand fared in all categories, but the country did not rank in the top 15 in categories such as Quality of Life and Family Life. However, it ranked fourth worldwide in attractive cost of living.

Bahrain came first overall for the second year in a row, while India was last in 66th place, according to the report.

Panama (13th), Ecuador (3rd) and Australia (12th) were among the countries that made the biggest gains in the rankings, while Sweden (46th), Romania (37th) and Hong Kong (56th) saw the sharpest drops.

Tarl

Amazing results really. Thought Cambodia would be up there.

brutox
1 hour ago, Tarl said:

Amazing results really. Thought Cambodia would be up there.

Hey, Tarl.

I only briefed the survey itself ( https://cms-internationsgmbh.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/file/2018-09/Expat-Insider-2018_The-InterNations-Survey.pdf ), but get that it is a broad, widely-oriented survey .. family quality of life, work opportunities, personal finance, ease of settling in, security, etc.

I suspect the numbers would be quite different were it a narrowly-focussed sexpat-oriented survey .. young women willingnees to sexually service older men, availability of adult pleasure consultants, cost of sexual services, cost of booze, number of bars and clubs, recreational opportunities, etc. .. a wholly different data set.

Then .. I think you are correct .. Cambodia would register.

Edited by brutox

Pattaya_Brian
2 hours ago, brutox said:

...They were asked to rate the country where they were residing on 48 factors from quality of life to financial facilities. All were factored into the calculation of the rankings.

That explains everything. Makes perfect sense.

PBear66

Singapore would become a sterile bore after a few days.

Vietnam is a beautiful country with genuine friendly people. However, Danang was totally over rated as a beach destination.

Malaysia is a diverse mix, Langkawi is a gem.

Having travelled all over south east asia, there is nowhere like Thailand. For me the combination of pay for play, scenery, people, food, and infrastructure is hard to beat.  

Fumbduck

It is a bit of a case of apples and oranges, really. I have over the years spent roughly 6 months in Singapore, for example, and I basically start climbing the walls after about a week. If you live in Thailand it can be a nice change, but only for a short while. After that it can become rather dull. 

PBear66

Not half as dull as looking out the window at a dull, wet and dreary January day in Northern Ireland. 

Inigo

Bahrain at #1 and Taiwan at #2, don't make me laugh! They've probably got a lot of Indians and mainland Chinese in the survey, I can't imagine many Westerners would regard Bahrain or Taiwan as a wonderful place to settle.

In fact, I know a guy who's married to a Taiwanese lady and lives in Taipei. He doesn't dislike it there, but he's not given any choice in the matter. He says the local Chinese put up with Westerners living in Taiwan, but it's pretty clear they don't really want you there.

And as for Singapore, yes, it's a nice place as long as you're into rigid self-control and have as much money as Jack Ma. It's a bit difficult for financially challenged sexpats to live there though.

taylor1975

If they seperated out, who was working and who wasn't, results would be very different.

Only reason people go to singapore is for work. 

Contangee

If you consider that the list considers non-western expats, as well as those who are still working, the list is hardly surprising.   

For example, in Singapore where cost of living are way higher than Thailand, the odd of finding a good paying job is also much higher, mitigating the high cost of living.  Likewise, if you have a family and needs to consider your children's education, it is likely that Singapore rank higher due to a more robust education system - both private and public.

hioctane

I think the poll needs to seperate out the working expats from the retired expacts. They have totally different requirements.

I have a friend working in Singapore. He loves it there. Good paying job, decent cost of living and proximity to Asean countries makes weekend holidays possible. You will never find a good paying job in Thailand!

Sent from my View XL using Tapatalk

Steph34

I’m living in Singapore currently and love it. I do work though which makes a hug difference. I would assume the survey result would be very different if only retirees were asked....

klutztheduck

This will be my first Asian country im visiting. Since I'm not just going for the mongering I think Thailand will have a special place in my ranking.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk