Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

TK_Knightster

Waterfront days numbered???

T-T-T

what is dangerous,  I noticed,  is that there are no longer any functioning  warning lights on the crane or building whatsoever that I could see. the whole thing is in total darkness at night...  it is a accident waiting to happen. 

Pattaya_Brian

I would guess that the people who invested in that building are long over it. If I remember correctly when they put down their deposits they were told they would be able to take possession of their completed condo in 2010.

Meanwhile, the developer has started many other projects. I'm not sure how many of those -- if any -- were ever completed.

udontony
6 hours ago, OldAsiaHand said:

I can't imagine it will ever be demolished. The cost would be incredibly high. Bangkok is littered with half-finished buildings, some of them dating all the way back to the collapse of the baht in the late 90's. They have simply been abandoned because they can't be salvaged and the demolition cost just aren't worth it.

What happens in the future when the whole building becomes dangerous!   I am no engineer but it seems obvious that an unfinished building will deteriorate more rapidly than a finished one.   Do they just leave it to fall down?

geezerrb
16 hours ago, keepitfun said:

The trouble with buildings that don’t complete in their timeframe is that the weather takes its toll.  Not just the crane, but concrete, steel and other materials that have been exposed longer than anticipated become suspect.

crane toppled over in Melbourne recently....was the wind....isn’t there a typhoon on its way to Thailand via Japan?

I agree there has been no screening to protect the construction and notice some other developments near where I stay that have been long delayed have only recently been screened after construction has re-commenced, would not want to be an investor in any of those. The ongoing maintenance charges could wipe the smile of any profits and personally I will not stay anywhere above the third floor.

6 hours ago, OldAsiaHand said:

I can't imagine it will ever be demolished. The cost would be incredibly high. Bangkok is littered with half-finished buildings, some of them dating all the way back to the collapse of the baht in the late 90's. They have simply been abandoned because they can't be salvaged and the demolition cost just aren't worth it.

Again I agree somewhat but I believe as land values have increased there has been a few "higher value" areas where regeneration has occurred.

striderman

well the crane is still there this morning. i can see it right now as i post this.

jiz

More than likely, next to the coast, the embedded rebar in the columns and floors have begun to oxidize, possibly making the structure unstable. 

As rust forms on the rebar it expands up to seven times the original thickness of the metal reaching 9,000 psi causing rust jacking expansion and the concrete will spall and crack.

striderman

from my photo archives. jan 2013

5b91def25c40b_jantrip12013287_800x600.jpg.3f59a0cd80f4ab94e00e1fdf1c81539d.jpg

5b91df0c4e42a_jantrip12013286_800x600.jpg.0a4e41126630b7bc26ebdda18fb20f66.jpg

5b91df218f3fe_jantrip12013288_800x600.jpg.3489d36b53e3b8a6de9d9adc837bf27f.jpg

5b91df3631735_jantrip12013289_800x600.jpg.6143bd4bb889a2d9f963039963260620.jpg

striderman

and by may 2013.................

5b91dfe637022_aprilmay14167_800x555.jpg.b10237e3125046884843f01baeb2e4ed.jpg

5b91e00e42329_aprilmay14168_800x600.jpg.8aee2ffb68ef65286172641608166e96.jpg

5b91e05069bb4_aprilmay14172_800x600.jpg.1da7f68e797ad4e63ca147ccfd197358.jpg5b91e05eaeacf_aprilmay14176_800x600.jpg.169c08c5170e78b6230c91a5efa93cf6.jpg

5b91e070bfcda_aprilmay14177_800x600.jpg.e3bfdcc0c2f1818ac765c4dfeb121753.jpg

Oukiva
1 hour ago, striderman said:

well the crane is still there this morning. i can see it right now as i post this.

The FB article says that the removing of the crane will start on September 10th, and we are the 7th :wink:

It also says that this work should take about 2 weeks. Many opportunities for photos.

Oukiva
2 hours ago, udontony said:

What happens in the future when the whole building becomes dangerous!   I am no engineer but it seems obvious that an unfinished building will deteriorate more rapidly than a finished one.   Do they just leave it to fall down?

What is now Northshore condo on Beach Road Soi 5 stayed in a similar abandoned state during maybe a decade, and it was only 2/3 finished with far more apparent unprotected rebars. That doesn't stop it to be today a top location that sells at high price... 

At least the Waterfront main structure is finished and there is (I think) not many unprotected metal parts (Pics above a very old). The only ones I see are at the "bridge" that connects the 2 towers.

udontony
2 hours ago, Oukiva said:

What is now Northshore condo on Beach Road Soi 5 stayed in a similar abandoned state during maybe a decade, and it was only 2/3 finished with far more apparent unprotected rebars. That doesn't stop it to be today a top location that sells at high price... 

At least the Waterfront main structure is finished and there is (I think) not many unprotected metal parts (Pics above a very old). The only ones I see are at the "bridge" that connects the 2 towers.

I understand what you are saying but Waterfront seems to me to be a different thing altogether.   It is so high compared to other condo units and maybe subject to the weather much more.   How long would it be before it fell down by itself if it remains unfinished and there seems no sign of further work being done as yet.

Harry Brown
59 minutes ago, udontony said:

I understand what you are saying but Waterfront seems to me to be a different thing altogether.   It is so high compared to other condo units and maybe subject to the weather much more.   How long would it be before it fell down by itself if it remains unfinished and there seems no sign of further work being done as yet.

If the steel reinforcing is sealed from the elements , then it should stand for quite some time. The concrete floors etc should be able to withstand the elements.

The Ghost Tower in Bangkok is about 20years old, still standing and not looking like falling down anytime soon.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj47fWXrqjdAhUIFYgKHV2cC6MQFjAAegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSathorn_Unique_Tower&usg=AOvVaw03mtBiZK5DiDNbd2VtIwC5

Oukiva
1 hour ago, udontony said:

// How long would it be before it fell down by itself if it remains unfinished and there seems no sign of further work being done as yet.

I will insist on this point, but the Waterfront is "finished" (nearly?) when talking about the structure, concrete, rebar... They already had reached the top floor (even if later the new promoter made big modifications at the top 3 floors with the huge penthouse and the swimming pool).

IMHO, if it stays this way and nobody Touch it, he will still stand in 50 or 100 years. :rolleyes:

What is deteriorating for sure is the inside of many apartments, mainly because many of them have there balcony window large open, or don't have yet they window...

BTW I find rather wrong the way this project has been stopped. One morning workers - who where there every days - arrived and found the police with an order that nobody could access this building anymore ! Water et Electricity have been cut and workers didn't have any possibility to properly prepare the building for a (long) temporary interruption of the construction. Sad. :sad:

Pattaya_Brian
3 hours ago, Oukiva said:

What is deteriorating for sure is the inside of many apartments, mainly because many of them have there balcony window large open, or don't have yet they window...

You can bet that building is already home to many critters -- large and small.

Alion

Sad for everyone who lost money on this project but happy if they take it down. It is realy misplaced on that spot and looks very uggly.

Gnorman
On 9/5/2018 at 23:02, Hallmark said:

I was at the viewing point today again. Nothing should be allowed to be built there and it's good news if it is going to be pulled down.

Whoever the people were that issued and received those brown envelopes should be made to do it with sledge hammers and no safety nets.

Absolute eyesore.

They should get the mouth piece of the Tulip Group that was driving around in his expensive car to fund it's demolition, or throw the prick out of the country.

If I lost money to this thief I'd want him fed to the sharks, I can't understand how he still prances around town without getting a good thumping. To many at city hall continue to make to much money off his shoddy projects so I guess it will never happen.

Edited by Gnorman

striderman
3 hours ago, Alion said:

Sad for everyone who lost money on this project but happy if they take it down. It is realy misplaced on that spot and looks very uggly.

from the front it looks to me ok. but from the back ie. from the viewpoint it's an ugly son of a bitch

Klongwater

Did Mr Elbaz ever finish the Jomtien project,Grand Centara Residence? Seems there was a huge legal kerfuffle a year or so ago with the Centara people saying it was nothing to do with them! Again,a lot of people losing absolute fortunes and a half-constructed abandoned development showing no signs of developing any further.

Maybe Pattaya Peoples most toadying interviewer Barry Upton can do another sit down with the disgraced property mogul and let everyone know what went wrong....LOL!  (As if thats going to happen!)

centara jomtien.jpg

Exiled

I put my money on the project now coming down completely. If the project is broke? In time someone will come in if not the bank already who owns the project at the right time and compromise and finish the project down the road no matter how long it takes.

Regardless of the brown envelopes being passed around?  Unless it is on paper the view from behind isn't protected the project height limit will be adjusted and life goes on.

Edited by Exiled

Gnorman
8 hours ago, Klongwater said:

Website still alive.

Surely they can't still be taking 10% dippers?

http://www.waterfrontpattaya.com

Waterfront.jpg

I emailed them via that website inquiring about available condos a couple of years ago, but received nothing back,

I just wanted to see if I got a response, and if they were prepared to take money off me for a deposit on a condo that will never be built.

Harry Brown
20 minutes ago, Exiled said:

I put my money on the project now coming down completely. If the project is broke? In time someone will come in if not the bank already who owns the project at the right time and compromise and finish the project down the road no matter how long it takes.

Regardless of the brown envelopes being passed around?  Unless it is on paper the view from behind isn't protected the project height limit will be adjusted and life goes on.

I think it's too expensive adding a huge cost to the bottom line. I would think more preferable for a developer to look for less complicated opportunities closer to the beach as they come up.

Also from what I believe the red tape is a manacle around the projects leg stopping it going in any direction soon.

But someone like BM @brutox would have more insight than me,  into how or if this could be torn down if a new developer took it over?

Gnorman

Yes bm brotox has posted some fantastic reading on other threads. For me his info has been very educational to the pitfalls of buying off the plan in Thailand, and how so many shoddy companies are allowed to develop projects without proper funding, just like this Tulip Group.

Halfaboy
13 minutes ago, Gnorman said:

Yes bm brotox has posted some fantastic reading on other threads. For me his info has been very educational to the pitfalls of buying off the plan in Thailand, and how so many shoddy companies are allowed to develop projects without proper funding, just like this Tulip Group.

I'm also waiting for one of his insightful comments.....

geezerrb
18 hours ago, Oukiva said:

Did not stop them at Centara Avenue as well as the cosmetics on the outer cladding.