Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Dirty Money??? WTF!!

Jumpy

I always go to the bank before I get to Thailand to get new blue crispy $100 bills....I've had a few notes refused too...small tears, ink, etc. Live and learn.

Its happened to me TT money exchange wouldnt accept my currency was to dirty, so i told a bar girl what happened and she said let me try!! Yep no problem for her they changed it ,so just get as bar girl to change it for you if have problem.

The Reserve Bank of Australia are issuing a new series of $50 notes - they have a slightly different design and on my last trip I avoided taking any of these new banknotes on the basis that Thai currency exchanges may not have come across them.

It was just easier to do so to avoid any 'issues'.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

5 hours ago, Zeb said:

The Reserve Bank of Australia are issuing a new series of $50 notes - they have a slightly different design and on my last trip I avoided taking any of these new banknotes on the basis that Thai currency exchanges may not have come across them.

I keep lots of cash $A50's in my safe at home.  Since the new ones have come out, I just put them at the back of the heap.  Will be a very long time before I have to start taking new ones.  Strongly agree with avoiding issues...

this thread is a good reminder for newbies to rtff to avoid hassles as its not anything new for an international traveler

• 4 weeks later...

i usually travel with 500€ bills, and had the same Problem before.. couple trips before i had a bill with a Little cut and had Problems to Change it, after a couple times of trying i send a Girl to Change it, then it worked...

i usually bring some Money to Thailand for some friends wife and she allways want perfekt notes from 100€ bills up, because she get a Little better rate with bigger bills

6 minutes ago, Jürgün said:

i usually travel with 500€ bills, and had the same Problem before.. couple trips before i had a bill with a Little cut and had Problems to Change it, after a couple times of trying i send a Girl to Change it, then it worked...

i usually bring some Money to Thailand for some friends wife and she allways want perfekt notes from 100€ bills up, because she get a Little better rate with bigger bills

Every country that I have been to won't accept torn bills, even a slight tear, when I go to my bank to get bills for my trip, I tell them it is for foreign travel

On 05/01/2019 at 10:00, Zeb said:

I took a heap of those notes in November, no problems, I actually preferred them as they were all new and crisp (and consecutive numbers!).

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

• 6 months later...
On 05/01/2019 at 04:51, Down Under Thunder said:

Its happened to me TT money exchange wouldnt accept my currency was to dirty, so i told a bar girl what happened and she said let me try!! Yep no problem for her they changed it ,so just get as bar girl to change it for you if have problem.

I saw a BG last week running down the road like a bat out of hell grasping a dirty 50 GBP note 5555.

I don't think she was returning.

JDM 

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

• 1 month later...

As other posters have stated, notes that are dirty or have writing on them will be rejected by most money exchanges, it has happened to me on a couple of occasions, now i always make sure my bank here gives me unmarked notes when taking cash.

On 03/09/2018 at 10:59, Jumpy said:

Now I've been coming to Thailand for a good 20 years and this has never happened to me,

TBF if it has never happened in 20 years then you have been lucky.

It has been pretty standard for the 30 odd years i have been here so has nothiong to do with any "changes".

Just try another booth as they may accept it, or if that fails try a bank as banks usually accept them unless badly defaced.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Is it better to exchange currency in Bangkok or Pattaya?

Generally no difference at all - both places the different operations will give slightly different rates but per se no difference between the two "places".

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

On 14/09/2019 at 11:40, Frosty said:

Is it better to exchange currency in Bangkok or Pattaya?

On 14/09/2019 at 15:39, whitespider said:

Generally no difference at all - both places the different operations will give slightly different rates but per se no difference between the two "places".

I haven't checked for a while but in the past the best rates were always at one of the main Superrich shops in Bangkok (better rates than TT here in Pattaya but may have changed). There are 2 different ones however.

https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en

https://www.superrich1965.com/home.php?language=en

Yeah, everyone has their favorite ForEX locations based on rates, location, time, etc.  I had never really checked if Bangkok overall was better than Pattaya or not.  Between ForEX locations in a city the rate seems to vary up to 3% from what I've seen at the currency exchange locations.

Years ago I always thought Pattaya was better, but maybe about the same now, what surprised me was how good the rates are at the airport near the train station.

50 minutes ago, Frosty said:

No way, the airport rates have gotten close to parity with the city now?

Only in the boths near the rail link.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

No way, the airport rates have gotten close to parity with the city now?

Both Superrich and Value+ in the basement level have been for a long time.

I always start to prepare when I am going somewhere a while before to avoid this

Since there's a limit to the money you can withdraw from a atm each day, at least here for a while I will go there and get the money and save the bigger ones like 50€ or + so like this I have time to have big ones and not afraid of something like this, if they are in a not good condition just deposit them and next day withdraw new ones

Just accept to keep the rejected note and change the other ones, but.... do the same when he gives you baht. Reject everything that doesn't look new. I do it often, probably due to my vietnam experience where you have to be very carefull with the notes they give you. Anything on it and you may not be able to spend it anywhere.

Archived