Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Use khrap/kha when speaking english

Monger D. Luffy

Is it polite to use the particles khrap/kha when speaking in english with a Thai?

For example:

- how are you khrap?

- what time is it khrap?

- it’s ok khrap

So is it polite or it’s better not to mix things up?

Always IMHO better not to. Only real thai word I use when speaking english is mai a fair bit so they know I am asking a question.

2 minutes ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

Thats about as dumb as speaking Tinglish with another falang :D

Think this is my number 1 pet hate lol

This is as dumb as Farangs trying to Wai and fucking it up. Cringeworthy

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

When my wife first came to the States, she wanted a Prius. Every time she saw one, she would point and say, “my cah , my cah”. I would answer, “mai khrap, mai khrap.”

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

59 minutes ago, forqalso said:

When my wife first came to the States, she wanted a Prius. Every time she saw one, she would point and say, “my cah , my cah”. I would answer, “mai khrap, mai khrap.”

As a newbie, I find this both amusing and amazing...amusing cuz it's just damn funny, and amazing cuz I can actually understand the joke!

Jous' question is interesting.  In Japan, I would still use honorifics associated with name (san, sama) when speaking English, but not other keigo (desu, masu). Thai language seems equally if not more nuanced with multiple different words/tones depending on the situation!  Probably best to avoid?!

18 hours ago, Jous said:

Is it polite to use the particles khrap/kha when speaking in english with a Thai?

No, it’s a verb.....” where can I khrap?”

or is it a noun...”I need pick up my dog’s khrap.”

33 minutes ago, philbadger said:

As a newbie, I find this both amusing and amazing...amusing cuz it's just damn funny, and amazing cuz I can actually understand the joke!

Jous' question is interesting.  In Japan, I would still use honorifics associated with name (san, sama) when speaking English, but not other keigo (desu, masu). Thai language seems equally if not more nuanced with multiple different words/tones depending on the situation!  Probably best to avoid?!

Yeah, probably avoid it.  The girls will do it; but it is so ingrained that they do it without thinking.  Also, nothing screams  "newbie" louder than a farang guy saying, "kha."

Thanks for the feedback on my first Thai joke.

Winston Churchill

Thank you all for you answers... khrap.

:Number1a:

• 8 months later...
On 21/08/2018 at 04:45, forqalso said:

Yeah, probably avoid it.  The girls will do it; but it is so ingrained that they do it without thinking.  Also, nothing screams  "newbie" louder than a farang guy saying, "kha."

Thanks for the feedback on my first Thai joke.

That depends on how well you speak thai and cant be generalized. Some Thai males use  ค่ะ (kha) when flirting with Girls, i do it too sometimes. But ofc, you need to speak thai to an advanced level to not sound stupid.

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

15 minutes ago, jayjo said:

That depends on how well you speak thai and cant be generalized. Some Thai males use  ค่ะ (kha) when flirting with Girls, i do it too sometimes. But ofc, you need to speak thai to an advanced level to not sound stupid.

Well, my post was obviously directed to a self professed newbie, a nonThai speaker. 

Winston Churchill

Archived