Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Ditching Chrome & Google

Ah dinnae ken

For some time now I was becoming increasingly irritated with ads & spam showing up on webpages & in my inbox related to web searches I had made.

I also was concerned when I wiped my browsing history I found google had apps running in the background which were over riding cookie deletions & instead of having to login to gmail it returned me to the page I was at last.

After some research I settled on Vivaldi as my browser & it took me 30 minutes using their help pages & a couple of searches to set it up. The import of bookmarks from google was a 2 click process. I am really happy with the speed of the browser & as an old bugger not finding the new layout hard to navigate. Fully recommend. https://vivaldi.com/

As a note I'm just a basic internet user & chrome may have options I do not use which you need so best to check that first

Make sure you have everything setup before deleting chrome

After more research I settled on https://www.startpage.com as my new search engine & it seems good.

I was previously suffering some dropouts from my wifi which seemed to have disappeared so if that remains the case I'll be doubly happy

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Why not just use Firefox and stop using Google search and Email?

The problem with Google is that it tracks you through a lot of ways...phone especially and you cannot easily get rid of them on that!

They are getting better, have a look at their Privacy settings, and just turn off all the stuff you aren't comfortable with (i.e everything lol)

7 minutes ago, article22 said:

...phone especially and you cannot easily get rid of them on that!

Phone is not an issue as I'm sure you can see.

serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FNDEwWDY0OQ%3D%3D%2Fz%2FmfkAAOSwFNZWy9Xi%2F%24_86.JPG&sp=f347d331d4cbc298ded39de0f8601a23

I'm really happy with new setup

www.sugarcanemafia.com

I had problems with the way Chrome interacted with Windows 10. I stopped using Chrome and went back to Firefox. No problems.

3 hours ago, froddo said:

After more research I settled on https://www.startpage.com as my new search engine & it seems good.

Startpage is excellent.  It basically uses Google but leaves out its baggage.

I was using Firefox for many years until recently: having 5 or 6 tabs open standing on the PC for several hours, slowed the reusage of these tabs or new ones completely down at a point that I had to stop and restart Firefox. I don't know exactly when this problem started, but it was probably after applying some firefox updates.

I then switched to Chrome, which was much quicker than firefox and doesn't have the above described slowdown problem. Using Adblock with Chrome reduces the pollution of unwanted popups.

47 minutes ago, Hot&Spicy said:

I then switched to Chrome, which was much quicker than firefox and doesn't have the above described slowdown problem. Using Adblock with Chrome reduces the pollution of unwanted popups.

Absolutely!  It's great.

There's a few adblockers in chrome. Even one's to stop ads on piratebay and crypto mining!

Ad block has completely stopped unwanted emails and anything related to previous searches. Now Chrome is unsolicited ad free. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I am the least tech savvy person in the world but I installed Ad block and now I watch youtube with no adds and don't think i get as much advertising on forums etc. Some websites will ask you to turn it off. Especially if they are add funded.

• 2 weeks later...

uMatrix is good addon but it can be a bit fiddly if your not used to that type of thing.  Bmac587 mentioned Brave browser.  Its worth a look.

On 8/19/2018 at 22:17, froddo said:

Phone is not an issue as I'm sure you can see.

serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FNDEwWDY0OQ%3D%3D%2Fz%2FmfkAAOSwFNZWy9Xi%2F%24_86.JPG&sp=f347d331d4cbc298ded39de0f8601a23

I'm really happy with new setup

Nokia is my cell same as one in photo no F******* so called apps 

Now 10 days down & couldn't be happier. All the spam is gone which is great & the search engine gives great results & I really like the way they handle video searches.

www.sugarcanemafia.com

On 8/20/2018 at 13:08, article22 said:

Why not just use Firefox and stop using Google search and Email?

The problem with Google is that it tracks you through a lot of ways...phone especially and you cannot easily get rid of them on that!

They are getting better, have a look at their Privacy settings, and just turn off all the stuff you aren't comfortable with (i.e everything lol)

Yes true, just the other night i was exploring through google settings on my ph and discovered it tracks everything you do on your phone, also on your synced computer, i was shocked to find audio recording  snippets that had recorded  going back for ages, the first few i listened to were from last Saturday night and they were as i was watching the Premier League on TV.

So since then i have been into settings on Google deleting everything and disabling everything, they have a delete everything in history/browsing over all time button, but it just takes a bit of searching around to find it,  but just because i deleted everything i still wonder if they store all that info elsewhere, anyway i will just keep checking into settings and if they reset all the disabled buttons then I will delete their browser and just use Vivaldi or Brave...and google can kiss my:Moon2:

try "brave" browser comes with a built in add blocker.   super fast too.

Archived