IGNORED

What do they say? Translation question

Monger D. Luffy

I am trying to figure out what most of the girls say when people walk in front of the bars or gogos to attract their attention. It’s sounds like “leoo kah” “laeoo kah” or something like that.

Most sure is “welcome here”, “come”, “visit us” or something like that.

"Laeo" (or "leaw") on its own is something like 'already' and is a common part of speech used to indicate past tense, BUT that's unlikely to be what you are meaning.

If they are shouting it at tourists, it'll be an attempt at English - there would be little point in talking Thai at customers.

To hazard a guess, you've heard either a very mangled version of "Wel-co(me)" (they often drop the last consonant) or possible an equally mangled "(He)llo kah" - where "kah" is just a thing added to be polite.

Hard to know for sure without hearing it myself but I think themelonman’s second suggestion is most likely as it’s something they do often say and they tend to exaggerate and elongate the second syllable of “Hello”

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

• 1 month later...

Now that i am in Pattaya i asked a TG about it and it means “Welcome”.

Anyway these days i’ve been observing that when they want they say “welcome” in the correct way. So i think that “leeokah” is just a a lazy way to say welcome or even some kind of slang made from “Welcome kah — leookah”.

Case closed. Thank for your help.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like what you're saying is ลูกค้า, plug that into Google Translate and see if it fits. It means "customer" and generally the managers will say it to get the staff to perk up and put away their phones because there are customers around.

• 2 months later...

5555 buffalo come already.

Archived