Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Whats the correct translation for "saving face" ?

Jumpin Jack Flash

I would love to know how the Thais themselves describe the whole concept of "saving face". 

I've tried to bring up the subject with Thais, and it never translates - you end up with something that means "face recording" or something just as dumb :P  

there must be a Thai phrase for it. Anyone know ?

I’m not an expert but I’ve done a little research and a think is: เสียหน้า (siia naa). 

2DE1F592-EF6B-4167-88C8-C03DDB342F28.jpeg

55, been thinking about this exactly for a while, was going to start a thread too. BMs who speak/understand Thai & have been going for a while should know.

................................................................................................................

I learnt there are a lot of absolute fruitcakes commenting on that link chelsea.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

เสียหน้า

is what Google Translate says

I don't think its too complicated.

In social situations, when you are an individual interacting with other people in a group you have a social standing, status, others have an opinion of you.

A word for this is 'face'.

If you do something which others in the group will likely think is stupid, silly, you will loose face.   You will feel embarrased.    Blush, say sorry, conform in future.

All to do with keeping the group behaving in line with expectations I can imagine. 

Its not a unique asian, thai thing.

Perhaps what is unique to thailand is that people go out of their way to avoid making someone feel embarrassed and loose face.  Will avoid saying directly what they actually believe.   'The West' differs by encouraging it.

Hence the 'I go to friends birthday party tonight', from bar girls, rather than you are not very sexually attractive. ( You are old, fat, too young, too skinny.)

Edited by rog555

Ask a Thai girl to write it down for you. I have a regular I will ask. 

เสียหน้า
Sounds like seeya naaaaaah
Whoops to be clear, this is to lose face
Edited by ricktoronto

รักษาหน้า

Sounds like raksaah naaaaaaah

To save face

According to a TG I know who immediately asked me what she did wrong and I had to explain for 10 minutes it had nothing to do with us and just how it is said and if it is common to say.

Messenger convo:

What i do bad

I home

I not understand

What u mean

I make u bad

Or what

Tell me

Always fun asking a simple question to someone who flies off the handle in 30 seconds.

Edited by ricktoronto
  • Haha 1

I think giving anywhere between 1,500-2,000B will suffice . I think you are overthinking this.

Edited by Cheetos

this is a nice piece on the very subject

http://ressources.learn2speakthai.net/thaigirltalk/6175/

Better to pay for a fantasy than lose to an illusion 

trips to Angeles city 2015/2016    best sexual experience    best condoms

8th  trip 7th trip  6th trip 5th trip micro trip  3rd trip  2nd trip   

maiden trip

trip to lagos

Khai naa ( lose face )

Mai khai naa ( not lose face )

If that is correct Thai, I don’t know, but people, at least pretend, to understand me when I use it. :-) 

19 hours ago, rog555 said:

I don't think its too complicated.

In social situations, when you are an individual interacting with other people in a group you have a social standing, status, others have an opinion of you.

A word for this is 'face'.

If you do something which others in the group will likely think is stupid, silly, you will loose face.   You will feel embarrased.    Blush, say sorry, conform in future.

All to do with keeping the group behaving in line with expectations I can imagine. 

Its not a unique asian, thai thing.

Perhaps what is unique to thailand is that people go out of their way to avoid making someone feel embarrassed and loose face.  Will avoid saying directly what they actually believe.   'The West' differs by encouraging it.

Hence the 'I go to friends birthday party tonight', from bar girls, rather than you are not very sexually attractive. ( You are old, fat, too young, too skinny.)

What sort of translation is that. English to english

3 hours ago, andy666 said:

Khai naa ( lose face )

Mai khai naa ( not lose face )

If that is correct Thai, I don’t know, but people, at least pretend, to understand me when I use it. :-) 

This is the translation my phone app ThaiDict says "Khai Naa"

12 Pints in Know it all

• 9 months later...

Surprised no one has mentioned กู้หน้า goo nah (long falling tone for both), meaning to save face.  It’s easy to pronounce, which can be important.

On 10/02/2020 at 18:43, thailien said:

Surprised no one has mentioned กู้หน้า goo nah (long falling tone for both), meaning to save face.  It’s easy to pronounce, which can be important.

Yes good one. Neither "Goo Nah" nor "Raksah Nah"  are not heard that often (for me in Thailand), since Thais mostly use the negative meaning to lose face: "Sia Nah" or "Khaai Nah". I am not in Hi So situations.

Thais love to use the word "Grehng Jai" (indebtedness or Imposition). The more they say it, the less they actually feel it. Those who feel it, may not actually say it. Farangs rarely say It I think, at least in English.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My native Thai teacher responded with:  

ขายหน้า

kǎai-nâa 

lose face

For example: 

ผมไม่อยากให้เขาขายหน้า

pŏm mâi-yàak hâi kăo kǎai-nâa

I don't want him/her to lose face

ขายหน้า is new to me. For the negative, I usually hear หน้าแตก... not to be confused with แตกใส่หน้า which is MUCH more fun 🤣