climber44

Ho Chi Minh City transportation options

climber44

About the middle of September I will be traveling to Viet Nam for a few days. I will flying into HCM and going to a city called My Tho, about 70 km south (kind of). I have been looking at the options available to travel to My Tho from the airport. Does anyone have any suggestions or know an honest driver? I know there are buses available, but they sound pretty tedious.

CyberPro

A friend flew to Saigon a few years back to attend the wedding of a Vietnamese woman friend. The wedding party toured to several places in VN. A smaller group went to the delta, and they traveled by bus, so that may tell you something. 

Below is a link found from a brief web search which may be helpful. I'd research alternatives between now and Sept, although the prices quoted seem reasonable. Bon Voyage. 

http://www.vnrentacar.com/hochiminh/car-rental-for-mekong-delta-tour.html

Edited by CyberPro

climber44
5 minutes ago, CyberPro said:

A friend flew to Saigon a few years back to attend the wedding of a Vietnamese woman friend. The wedding party and guests toured to several places in VN. A smaller group went to the delta, and they traveled by bus, so that may tell you something. 

Below is a link found from a brief web search which may be helpful. I'd research alternatives between now and Sept, although the prices quoted seem reasonable. Bon Voyage. 

http://www.vnrentacar.com/hochiminh/car-rental-for-mekong-delta-tour.html

Good find. I sent an inquiry about prices for just a ride there, then back to the airport 3 days later. hopefully they will get back to me. Thanks.

CyberPro

Hope that works out for you. 

My experience hiring transport within Saigon decades ago before the change in government was that the customers who had trouble didn't get a clear agreement as to what would be delivered at what price. 

I never had the slightest trouble but knew what I was willing to pay and politely declined the rest. 

Given you're going out of town you might inquire as to what happens if the car breaks down, there's an accident, etc...unlikely but good to know. 

bfinkay

Just find a taxi guy and ask how much to drive you there.

Done this many times to places like Vung Tau and Can Tho it was like $100 for Can Tho to HCMC beats fucking around with buses and waiting etc.

If you don't find a taxi driver try a Grab taxi guy or even go to some of the tour agencies in De Tham and ask for a car and driver, shopping around will knock some dough off the price.

I don't have a contact for you unfortunately.