IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Mediocre (updated 2020)

Evil Penevil

45 minutes ago, Petesie said:

These days I find in Patts that consistency is the one thing that's missing from the menu. :unsure:

This is a particular trait amongst the well trafficked Buakhow eateries.

To borrow from the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, inconsistency is the hobgoblin of small restaurants in Pattaya.

Who's in the kitchen on any given day or hour can determine whether you get a good meal or poor. The quality of the same menu item can vary considerably from day to day, depending on the skill of the cook on duty.

Small restaurants often have troubling hiring and retaining Thai cooks who know farang food.  Wait staff with very little experience as cooks are sometimes pressed into action in the kitchen because the regular cook didn't show up.  In other cases, the cook has never received the proper training and is using very odd base recipes.

Small Pattaya restaurants aren't exactly a box of chocolates, but it is true you never know what you're going to get.  There are exceptions, though.  Some family-owned restaurants hold a consistently decent standard because the cooking is handled by family members who can substitute for each other.

Evil

• Like 2

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Evil, I have a request. Could you start a thread listing your current Top Ten Pattaya Restaurants and Places To Eat and update it every so often? It would be great to have a list of must-try places for those of us that only get to visit the city every so often.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2018 at 11:09, Evil Penevil said:

Early this week I tried the daily special (roast chicken dinner, 139 baht) at Malee Restaurant on Soi Honey.  I've had several meals at Malee 3 off Soi Buakhao and the Malee branch on Soi Lengkee  and they had been pretty good.

Unfortunately, the meal at Male Soi Honey wasn't. It was merely mediocre. It consisted of a quarter chicken (thigh and leg), mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables and packet gravy.

IMG_0165.jpg.b3c3a697f3d3a9f87ee1a81ac819fe80.jpg

The chicken was dry and the skin had a weird texture, as though it had been cooked, left to stand and reheated. The potatoes were crudely mashed with a fork.  The veggies were OK and not overcooked.

IMG_0169.jpg.3c36112f11a6aea8e04849ed60238186.jpg

On the positive side, portion size was fine and the service was friendly.  The restaurant was clean and well-lit.

Bottom line: a mediocre meal at a cheap price.

Evil

I've eaten many times at Malee on Lengkee, always great food at great prices.

The schnitzel is to die for.

• Like 3

Pleasure is the only thing one should live for. 

Nothing ages like happiness.

- Oscar Wilde -

Tried special at Wine Connection a few days ago, 22B for a pizza or a pasta, comes with a soft drink and a salad starter. Salad was just a few salad leaves and some roasted veg, had the spag seafood, was average. 

Doubt if I will return.

wine co _IMG_9030.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 19:27, briguy said:

Evil, I have a request. Could you start a thread listing your current Top Ten Pattaya Restaurants and Places To Eat and update it every so often? It would be great to have a list of must-try places for those of us that only get to visit the city every so often.

just follow him ......... he does a wide range so no need for a specific thread

• Like 2

Please remember to like and subscribe.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 13:01, Petesie said:

I used to regularly go to 18 coins, then Jocky's, then the Coins before they were moved on.

Good honest fare, good value and great service...these days that seems to be lacking in many places.

For those who opt for the Central mall I would recommend Black Canyon.

Excellent coffee, frappes etc. but the food is good and...consistent. Another fave of the teerak. :wink:

B Canyon has gone down the hill since they changed their menu a few years ago

37 minutes ago, mmaaarrrkkk said:

B Canyon has gone down the hill since they changed their menu a few years ago

Does your Tee Rak agree?

21 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Does your Tee Rak agree?

yes he does

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

IMG_0393.jpg

An unusual set of circumstances put me on Third Road on Monday, so I decided to try Steak Kao Rai once again.  I wish I hadn't;  it was one of the worst meals I've ever been served in Pattaya.  I'm being generous in describing it as mediocre.

IMG_0399.jpg

For many years now,  Steak Kao Rai has been filling the bellies of thrifty farang with inexpensive beef, pork, chicken and fish dinners.  There are a few other dishes on the menu,  namely spaghetti and salads,  but most punters have gone to Steak Kao Rai for the same reason they monger on Beach Road:  cheap meat.

IMG_0394.jpg

I had intended to have the ฿139 beefsteak, but changed my mind went I saw another customer's order.  His piece of beef  (it sure wasn't a steak) looked very thin and frazzled. I decided to have the ฿89 pork chop,  as it been an acceptable option in the past when Steak Kao Rai had run out of beef.  Unfortunately, that was a bad choice.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

The pork chop was shockingly thin,  more like a pounded schnitzel than a chop. Even worse, it was mostly fat.

IMG_0383.jpg

The whole center section (circled) of the "chop" was fat and there were several other blobs as well.  Yuck!

IMG_0392.jpg

When meat is that thin, it fries quickly.  The piece of pork I got probably didn't need more than 30 seconds on each side.  That's hrdly long enough to allow the fat to warm, much less render.  Double yuck!

IMG_0388.jpg

I cut all the fat away, which left about two mouthfuls of meat.  If I'd been served meat like that in any farang-owned restaurant in Pattaya, I would have complained strongly.  Meat like that simply isn't acceptable.

I didn't complain at Steak Kao Rai because it seldom does any good when the restaurant is Thai owned and operated.  It just didn't seem worth the hassle for ฿ 89.  Otherwise, the 10 French fries on the plate were industrial cut, but deep fried better than most fries in Pattaya.  The salad would have been good if it hadn't been slathered with Thousand Island dressing.

Bottom line: It will be a very long time  before I venture back to Steak Kao Rai.  It's much better to pay  ฿ 175 for the pork chop special at Kilkenny and get a quality meal without having to cross Third Road.

post-9139-0-41367500-1516326460.jpg

Evil

But for those of you who want to try Steak Kao Rai, I've included a map and photos of the menu below.

Capture.JPG

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0377a.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

Must agree with you EP, there has been a drop in standards at Steak 9 Rai, or a change of Chef.

The visits I have made this past few months, the steak has been very tough, compared to what it was like in the past (which always amazed me for the price they charged).

But, they still pack them in every night, and you are quite likely to have to wait for a table.

• Like 1

I was there thursday last....chicken steak was excellent as usual....I,ve never tried the pork so I cannot comment,I,m not aware of a new chef in place....and if I had got your meal I certainly WOULD have complained.

BTW very popular with Thai,s as well as farangs

Man that's one sad looking pork chop......I usually avoid eating as such cheap Thai steak restaurants like  Steak 9 Rai as never had good experience there including Santa Fe as the steaks, pork chops are just tough as leather which is mostly gristle and fat.

11 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

.......................... but most punters have gone to Steak Kao Rai for the same reason they monger on Beach Road:  cheap meat.

Didn't know you did poetry as well? :)

19 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

IMG_0393.jpg

An unusual set of circumstances put me on Third Road on Monday, so I decided to try Steak Kao Rai once again.  I wish I hadn't;  it was one of the worst meals I've ever been served in Pattaya.  I'm being generous in describing it as mediocre.

IMG_0399.jpg

For many years now,  Steak Kao Rai has been filling the bellies of thrifty farang with inexpensive beef, pork, chicken and fish dinners.  There are a few other dishes on the menu,  namely spaghetti and salads,  but most punters have gone to Steak Kao Rai for the same reason they monger on Beach Road:  cheap meat.

IMG_0394.jpg

I had intended to have the ฿139 beefsteak, but changed my mind went I saw another customer's order.  His piece of beef  (it sure wasn't a steak) looked very thin and frazzled. I decided to have the ฿89 pork chop,  as it been an acceptable option in the past when Steak Kao Rai had run out of beef.  Unfortunately, that was a bad choice.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

The pork chop was shockingly thin,  more like a pounded schnitzel than a chop. Even worse, it was mostly fat.

IMG_0383.jpg

The whole center section (circled) of the "chop" was fat and there were several other blobs as well.  Yuck!

IMG_0392.jpg

When meat is that thin, it fries quickly.  The piece of pork I got probably didn't need more than 30 seconds on each side.  That's hrdly long enough to allow the fat to warm, much less render.  Double yuck!

IMG_0388.jpg

I cut all the fat away, which left about two mouthfuls of meat.  If I'd been served meat like that in any farang-owned restaurant in Pattaya, I would have complained strongly.  Meat like that simply isn't acceptable.

I didn't complain at Steak Kao Rai because it seldom does any good when the restaurant is Thai owned and operated.  It just didn't seem worth the hassle for ฿ 89.  Otherwise, the 10 French fries on the plate were industrial cut, but deep fried better than most fries in Pattaya.  The salad would have been good if it hadn't been slathered with Thousand Island dressing.

Bottom line: It will be a very long time  before I venture back to Steak Kao Rai.  It's much better to pay  ฿ 175 for the pork chop special at Kilkenny and get a quality meal without having to cross Third Road.

post-9139-0-41367500-1516326460.jpg

Evil

But for those of you who want to try Steak Kao Rai, I've included a map and photos of the menu below.

Capture.JPG

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0377a.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

I've walked passed by that place so many time, never was curious enough to try, for three reasons:

1. A steak joint that doesn't have aircon? That's a bad sign.

2. Too cheap for a steak, not a chinaman's chance it'll be worth a dime. 

3. Not a big fan of steak.

Oh, you know who does a great pork chop? A Taste of Thailand on Lengkee. 

Beautiful thick juicy pork chop, great price, best aircon in Pattaya.

Don't take the mash potato, take the fries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

- Oscar Wilde -

2 hours ago, Zeema said:

@ZeemaThanks for the tip!  I do like a good pork chop.  But I'm also a mashed potato fanatic.  Why should I skip the mash?  Is it bad or are the fries exceptionally good?

Evil

The restaurant at the Gulf Siam hotel on Pattaya North Road, just west of the intersection with 3rd Road, has an interesting sign on the street,  at least for steak lovers:

Untitled-1.jpg

Who can resist a ฿89 steak?   I can't, but I was sure it wouldn't be anything like the pic.  The restaurant itself carries a rather curious name,  Gulf Sixty-Eighty,  but is also known as the Gulf Cafe & Coffee Shop.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Gulf Sixty-Eighty plays up the steak angle pretty heavily, but also pushes its breakfast buffet and a cocktail promotion.

IMG_0409.jpg

Inside, it's quite comfortable and attractive.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

And a photo from the hotel's Web site:

Capture.JPG

Gulf Sixty-Eighty even has a separate "Steak Menu," but it's not very extensive.

IMG_0427.jpg

I had the "beef steak with black pepper sauce" for ฿109.  The ฿89 steak on the sign is a "chicken breast steak."

IMG_0422.jpg

Well, ToTo, I don't think we're in a Kansas City steakhouse anymore- or even Sizzler.  That has to be the smallest piece of beef steak I've seen served that wasn't authentic Kobe.

IMG_0424.jpg

Of course, of course, I know you're not going to get 300 grams of USDA Prime or imported Australian beef for ฿109.  If the mini-steak had been good,  it  still would have been value for money.  Unfortunately, it was a locomotive steak- chew, chew. chew,  chew.  Tough and sinewy, without much flavor.  The flavor it did have came from the seasoning used, not the meat itself.

IMG_0425.jpg

I asked for medium rare, but got medium.  :o  One shortcoming on top of another.

IMG_0425A.jpg

The small portion of French fries was Pattaya standard.  The mixed veggies and salad were good,  fresh and tasty.  The one outstanding feature of the meal was the black pepper sauce, excellent taste, better than I've had in many  expensive places.  I just wish I'd had more of it to pour over mashed potatoes.

On the whole, however, it's the steak that should have been the star and it wasn't.  Tough and bland, it wasn't even a good character actor in a supporting role.  I can't rate the meal as more than mediocre, possibly mediocre plus. Maybe if I had taken advantage of the cocktail promotion, the steak would have tasted better.    :Beer2:

IMG_0421.jpg

The service was friendly and attentive, but considering I was the only customer (at 4.30 p.m.), that shouldn't be surprising.

Bottom line:  I haven't given up entirely on Gulf Sixty-Eighty.  I plan on trying a few of the other inexpensive dishes on the menu. It's a nice place to eat and the pepper sauce made me think they could have a decent chef who simply had poor quality beef with which to work.   Maybe I would have been better off with the "mince beef streak with gravy sauce."   Mincing or finely chopping beef has been a counter-measure against toughness for centuries.

In the U.S.,  "Salisbury Steak," named for 19-century physician James H. Salisbury,  has been part of American cuisine for nearly 150 years.  Salisbury advocated a diet high in protein from lean meat and low on vegetables, fruits, starches and fats. He urged people to eat a patty of chopped beef three times a day and drink large amounts of water to flush out the system.  So in Dr. Salisbury's memory, I might order the  "mince beef steak."  Or in direct defiance, I could have the spaghetti.  :Grin_Jump1:

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428A.jpg

IMG_0429A.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

The pic below shows the set-up for the breakfast buffet.  I have no idea what the quality is like, but  ฿159 for an all-you-can-eat buffet isn't a bad price.

IMG_0415.jpg

Evil

I have tried several of these cheap steak places, and it always comes back to Steak 9 Rai being the best.

Even with the drop in standards, it is still the best one out there.

2 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

I have tried several of these cheap steak places, and it always comes back to Steak 9 Rai being the best.

I  2nd this Steak 9 Rai is pretty good and for the price its great...

3 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

55 minutes ago, fforest said:

I  2nd this Steak 9 Rai is pretty good and for the price its great...

Neither of the above speaks to the quality of the meat. A cheap, bad piece of meat is still a bad piece of meat.

• Like 2

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

7 hours ago, Zeema said:

I've walked passed by that place so many time, never was curious enough to try, for three reasons:

1. A steak joint that doesn't have aircon? That's a bad sign.

2. Too cheap for a steak, not a chinaman's chance it'll be worth a dime. 

3. Not a big fan of steak.

A Taste of Thailand on Lengkee?

where is it located?  Buakhao end, 3rd rd, middle? I walk down Lengkee fairly often. Haven’t seen the sign.

8 minutes ago, jennings said:

A Taste of Thailand on Lengkee?

where is it located?  Buakhao end, 3rd rd, middle? I walk down Lengkee fairly often. Haven’t seen the sign.

The Haven few steps down from the old Retox 

• Like 2

Might as well buy bubble gum and throw some steak spice on it and call it a Thai steak as that's how the quality of the meat are in those places...

Duck in Orange Sauce at J. Daeng on 2nd Road, 250 baht. Orange sauce was OK but never would have ordered if I knew half the plate would be fries. IMG_20200116_152136.thumb.jpg.70a756fb3f5e2943001a6355e8aab90c.jpg

Retired

13 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

@ZeemaThanks for the tip!  I do like a good pork chop.  But I'm also a mashed potato fanatic.  Why should I skip the mash?  Is it bad or are the fries exceptionally good?

Evil

Their mash potato is grainy and sweet. 

- Oscar Wilde -