Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Mediocre (updated 2020)

Evil Penevil

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Steak 9 Rai on Third Road last night at about 9.30 p.m. to have a steak.  Unfortunately, the beef steak for 139 baht and the T-bone steak (300 g) for 229 baht were both finished.  Considering the restaurant is open between 4 p.m. and 1.00 a.m., it seemed a bit early to run out of beef, but maybe they were busy earlier in the evening. There were six other diners when I arrived.

Anyway, the waitress recommended I take the chicken steak for 85 baht.

Untitled-2.jpg.cd7989e0477bce23a55f35359285b2f3.jpg

I wasn't thrilled but I went ahead with the chicken.  This is what I got: a good-sized piece of chicken breast fillet; a handful of industrial crinkle-cut fries; a mound of salad, mostly lettuce; and a tiny bowl of stone-cold generic gravy from a packet.

IMG_0045.jpg.b6072436574402cb6cbfe46dbf3c8e2c.jpg

The fries were hard, dry and room temperature.  They had obviously been sitting for awhile.  The gravy was straight from the refrigerator.  The salad was fresh, but had been covered with bottled Thousand Island dressing, much I dislike.

IMG_0050.jpg.6dae42b41f2786130ea33bae75d5cebd.jpg

The chicken was tender, but overcooked and totally lacked any sort of seasoning. even salt or pepper.  The Liquid on the plate in the photo below is  from the Maggi sauce bottle in the condiment basket.  I had doused the fillet to give it some taste.

IMG_0053.jpg.c9557276bb004f2d28c60f29a2bb3839.jpg

A bland grilled chicken fillet is good as a low-calorie source of lean protein,  but not much of an eating experience.  I finished the fillet and left the fries and most of the salad.

IMG_0056.jpg.cec535e0bcdff67232a055a840986189.jpg

The worst part of the meal was crossing Third Road.  Even at that hour it was busy and I had to wait a long time for a break in the traffic both coming and going to Steak 9 Rai.  Crossing Second Road is bad enough, but Third Road is a nightmare due to cars, motorcycles, trucks and buses zooming along at a higher rate of speed.

Bottom line:  Steak 9 Rai is regarded fondly by resident ex-pats for its inexpensive but good quality beef.  I've also had good pork chops and fish fillets there and have written positive reviews of them.  That said, last night's chicken steak was a disappointment.

Once I summon sufficient courage to attempt to cross Third Road again, I will go back to Steak 9 Rai for the beef.  But it's a bit of a Catch-22 situation for me.  The best chance of getting a steak is between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., but that's also when Third Road is busiest.

Evil

Trivia:  In one of those unintentionally humorous transcription errors,  Steak 9 Rai has become Steak 9 Rat in the blurb for free WiFi on the cover of the menu.

Untitled-0.jpg.cc754583c30eb30e9c71405e22948b15.jpg

And in case anyone is unfamiliar with the location, here's a map:

Capturea.jpg.5a8ff65dd954e89bb01daca45d4f16b0.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

12 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I went to Steak 9 Rai on Third Road last night at about 9.30 p.m. to have a steak.  Unfortunately, the beef steak for 139 baht and the T-bone steak (300 g) for 229 baht were both finished.  Considering the restaurant is open between 4 p.m. and 1.00 a.m., it seemed a bit early to run out of beef, but maybe they were busy earlier in the evening. There were six other diners when I arrived.

I have had the T bone steak there evil it was very thin very chewy and no taste but as they say "you get what you paid for".note i had the pork chop before which was much better for 89b i think.

I think anything western and cheap is going to be shitty. I eat mostly Thai food in Pattaya.

Around 300 and good for western is the Italian in soi 13/1. I forget the name even though I eat there often.

260 for all you can eat breakfast at Casa Pascal is mediocre to good. Good coffee and good bread. This is the best brekky joint in Pattaya that I have seen.

Retox in soi len kee is crap. I abandoned ship the only time I tried their breakfast.

The steak specials at Devonshire are a lever as well.

295 Pizzas as Sergio's at The Avenue aren't bad. Super thin crust sourdough.

Food in the aircon cafe inside Villa Mart is very popular, I have not tried western here but very cheap.

Did I mention forget western food in Thailand, land of the best food in the world?

Edited by Kahoy

I had the breakfast burrito at Retrox Game On this morning and it was mediocre.

IMG_0080.jpg.224548002c5ffd09abe717d83a9492d5.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg.1e8b1889d9cedcd05b644659b0728eeb.jpg

With the 50% Eatigo discount at 7.30 a.m., it cost 88 baht, plus 40 baht for a bottle of water.

Untitled-1b.jpg.c28eaa567ee0263b44d7fc0fed467b01.jpg

The menu description of the breakfast burrito was a bit optimistic.  The pork sausage was tasteless; the small strip of bacon had been fried brittle, not just crispy;  there was maybe a tablespoon of scrambled eggs; no hash browns but  two chunks of what might have been baked potato;  and there might have been a speck of mozzarella, not more. Except for the saltiness of the bacon, there was no taste at all.

IMG_0083.jpg.32e66feeb0469294f88b3ec1fc6de995.jpg

I had asked the waitress to hold the baked beans, but in afterthought, that was probably a mistake.  The beans would have added some desperately needed flavor.

IMG_0086a.jpg.74c956b834b19fe52c853a79b240d9b7.jpg

I'm glad the sausage had been cut into chunks rather than diced, as that made it easier to avoid eating.  Without flavor,  sausage is just meaningless calories.  And if Retox is not going to use proper hash browns, the potato should have been diced and fried with onions or sweet peppers for flavor.  More scrambled eggs and less potato would have been a good thing.  The tortilla was tough, a sign that it had been overcooked, maybe even reheated in a microwave. It  would have been improved by Mexican or Tex Mex seasoning. Cheese would have helped, too, but not mozzarella.  It would be unrealistic to expect r Monterey or pepper jack cheese in Pattaya, but Swiss, Emmenthal or even cheddar would be better than mozzarella.

Bottom line:  Unless Retox Game On changes the recipe for its breakfast burrito,  I won't be ordering it again.  There's no way much a bizarre combination of ingredients can taste good together.

Evil

45 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

With the 50% Eatigo discount at 7.30 a.m., it cost 88 baht, plus 40 baht for a bottle of water.

Even that reduced price seems way over the top to me. And the full price is just silly.

Beats me how these places stay in business.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2018 at 12:32, Evil Penevil said:

Anyway, the waitress recommended I take the chicken steak for 85 baht.

Untitled-2.jpg.cd7989e0477bce23a55f35359285b2f3.jpg

I wasn't thrilled but I went ahead with the chicken.  This is what I got: a good-sized piece of chicken breast fillet; a handful of industrial crinkle-cut fries; a mound of salad, mostly lettuce; and a tiny bowl of stone-cold generic gravy from a packet.

IMG_0045.jpg.b6072436574402cb6cbfe46dbf3c8e2c.jpg

The fries were hard, dry and room temperature.  They had obviously been sitting for awhile.  The gravy was straight from the refrigerator.  The salad was fresh, but had been covered with bottled Thousand Island dressing, much I dislike.

IMG_0050.jpg.6dae42b41f2786130ea33bae75d5cebd.jpg

The chicken was tender, but overcooked and totally lacked any sort of seasoning. even salt or pepper.  The liquid on the plate in the photo below is  from the Maggi sauce bottle in the condiment basket.  I had doused the fillet to give it some taste.

IMG_0053.jpg.c9557276bb004f2d28c60f29a2bb3839.jpg

A bland grilled chicken fillet is good as a low-calorie source of lean protein,  but not much of an eating experience.  I finished the fillet and left the fries and most of the salad.

IMG_0056.jpg.cec535e0bcdff67232a055a840986189.jpg

The worst part of the meal was crossing Third Road.  Even at that hour it was busy and I had to wait a long time for a break in the traffic both coming and going to Steak 9 Rai.  Crossing Second Road is bad enough, but Third Road is a nightmare due to cars, motorcycles, trucks and buses zooming along at a higher rate of speed.

Bottom line:  Steak 9 Rai is regarded fondly by resident ex-pats for its inexpensive but good quality beef.  I've also had good pork chops and fish fillets there and have written positive reviews of them.  That said, last night's chicken steak was a disappointment.

Once I summon sufficient courage to attempt to cross Third Road again, I will go back to Steak 9 Rai for the beef.  But it's a bit of a Catch-22 situation for me.  The best chance of getting a steak is between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., but that's also when Third Road is busiest.

Evil

Trivia:  In one of those unintentionally humorous transcription errors,  Steak 9 Rai has become Steak 9 Rat in the blurb for free WiFi on the cover of the menu.

Untitled-0.jpg.cc754583c30eb30e9c71405e22948b15.jpg

And in case anyone is unfamiliar with the location, here's a map:

Capturea.jpg.5a8ff65dd954e89bb01daca45d4f16b0.jpg

was there any sign of your mate chang fai in there giving the chef a demo on how to fry an egg

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2018 at 18:27, safc said:

was there any sign of your mate chang fai in there giving the chef a demo on how to fry an egg

:Grin_Jump1:      No, but he is a big fan of Steak Kao Rai.  He just got banned from another board,  so maybe he has other things to think about right now.  He posts on Addicts, but in a kinder, gentler version under a different handle.

Evil

23 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

:Grin_Jump1:      No, but he is a big fan of Steak Kao Rai.  He just got banned from another board,  so maybe he has other things to think about right now.  He posts on Addicts, but in a kinder, gentler version under a different handle.

Evil

what board has he been banned from?,iam sure it wouldnt be secrets as all that board was running for was for about 20-30 members of which he was one to slag of or ban any bm who posted the slightest possible comment that stated pattaya was past its best,it was a good board years ago totally ruined by a few yet they slag of this board on there,iam sure he is gentler on here nobody can be such a dick all the time,never seen a bloke deny so such and change his story when his posts were to see.

My local chippy would give you a free scoop of chips far bigger than your crinkle cut cold offerings, with any mains bought.

The breakfast burrito looks pathetic. Had singapore noodles in the central festival mall food court last time i was in pattaya.

Pork or chicken freshly cooked with eggs and spicy. 60 baht i think.

Usual story but 30 mins later you where hungry again.

Thanks for the continued reviews lets us sort the goodies from baddies. 

• 2 weeks later...

do not shoot the messenger i merely pass on the info.

bought the keenly priced chocolate sundae @ 19 bht and received a pack of 20 asstd vouchers valid till mid jan

988561480_6dec024(Custom).JPG.7acf96cd0c115290f4a3a2ed9b3fd8a6.JPG

1255821856_6dec025(Custom).JPG.4c71ab39e692df58918f4edff87b565c.JPG

877848138_6dec026(Custom).JPG.6e8731dd59903101220e887c4190acb0.JPG

Edited by striderman

On 27/11/2018 at 02:59, KittenKong said:

Even that reduced price seems way over the top to me. And the full price is just silly.

40 Baht for water helps.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On 27/11/2018 at 17:59, KittenKong said:

Totally agree, What a sad looking Burrito and for 175 bht, they got to bee serous. The microwave  Burritos they sell at 7-11 for 20 bht looks a lot better and tastier then that, But I guess you cant expect  a pub that frequents mostly Brits to know anything flavor, seasonings and Tex Mex food as I find all the food at Retox and Retox game on to be beyond bland and sub par especially their bhat buster breakfast for 99 bht, as I pay an extra 30 bht and have the same exact breakfast with better tasting ingredients at LK Metro's, I-Rovers. 

Edited by dan2016

• 1 month later...

Untitled-1.jpg.1b685cb555ec2fcb4a3802d2f49f93f7.jpg

Little Tavern began operating in 2018 the premises of the former Queens Arms on Soi Buakhao south of the intersection with Soi Lengkee.  Monday I decided to give it a try, but that was a bad choice.  The meal I had was squarely mediocre.

IMG_0316.jpg.6fcf4ac1e2073785b926ce4e63a7b981.jpg

Actually,  I shouldn't have eaten there at all.  I had been attracted by an outdoor chalkboard sign that advertised Chicken Kiev with mashed potatoes and veggies for 169 baht.  But when I tried to order it, the waitress said, "Sorry, already finish."  It was about 7.00 p.m. at the time.

Naughty, naughty. A restaurant should take in an outdoor sign touting a special if it's not available.  In the past, in similar situations, I've simply said something like, "I really wanted Chicken Kiev. I'll come back another day," and walked out.  Don't get angry, just vote with your feet.

But I ignored my own rule, in part because I wanted to try Little Tavern and in part because I was tired, hungry and needed to deal with some messages on my phone.  I looked at the menu and said I'd take the baked ham at 150 baht instead.  "No hab today," was the reply.  The waitress wanted me to take the chicken breast with mushroom  at 165 baht. I didn't really fancy that and scanned the menu again.  Nothing caught my eye.  It seemed to be the same stolid pub food that's standard in dozens of restaurants from Naklua to Na Jomtien; Lake Mabprachan to Beach Road; and all points between.

The waitress pressed me to take the chicken breast; it was good and cost the same as the special, she said.  I gave up at that point, ignored all the warning signals and rolled the dice on the waitress' suggestion.  Unfortunately, it came up snake eyes. Loser, loser, loser!

IMG_0301.jpg.20181742e1e69ef0b7ea0e2c7d1df38b.jpg

The chicken breast with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and the Pattaya Holy Trinity of side vegetables- carrots, broccoli and cauliflower- was not good.  As I've said about all the dishes in this thread, it wasn't bad, just not good.

IMG_0303.jpg.2a609cd54c6a8e3ebb9bb312da250445.jpg

When the plate came down in front of me, it looked pretty good and I thought I might have lucked out, especially after I tasted the gravy. It was excellent, clearly made from scratch and full of flavor.  But alas, that was the highlight.  The rest was a letdown and pushed the meal into mediocre territory.

IMG_0308.jpg.bc7c7c9b23fe9540dbbdeb1b20f4c701.jpg

In Texas hold'em poker,   Ace-King hole cards are called an Anna Kournikova after the beautiful but moderately talented tennis star because they "look better than they play." I'm trying to express the same idea about my meal at Little Tavern, but you eat food, you don't play it, and how Anna Kournikova would taste is anyone's guess. I doubt many can speak from personal experience.

The three chicken breasts were dry as sawdust and about as tasty.  No seasoning had been used on them.  One edge of each had been pounded thin and cooked so hard it was inedible.  The potatoes were watery and seemed to have been pureed, not mashed.  All the flavor had been boiled out of the vegetables. The gravy was excellent, but gravy alone does not a good meal make.

Here's what may have happened: the chicken breasts on my plate had been intended to be used in Chicken Kiev, but the cook didn't prepare enough portions and for some reason couldn't make more.  Maybe they ran out of bread crumbs or the cook who knew how to make it had gone home.  Who knows?  The  waitress pushed the chicken breasts with mushroom gravy to help use up the ingredients on hand and frying  was the quickest way to do it.

IMG_0310.jpg.5700d5a741b9983945cfa04fd8c17233.jpg

Aside from the food, there were some positives about my meal at Little Tavern: comfortable seats; good lighting and ventilation; background music at a blessedly low volume; and friendly service. It's a nice place to have a drink and would be a good one for a meal if the cooking improves.

IMG_0312.jpg.470fd1ae34655c61a699ef3ed22842b2.jpg

As noted earlier, the menu at Little Tavern isn't very inspiring.  It's mostly British comfort food, steaks of unspecified "imported" beef and some Thai dishes.

I'm sorry the resolution in the photo below is so low, but if you click on "Enlarge," those of you with good eyes may be able to get a better idea of what is on offer.

IMG_0312a.jpg.f219b2603b33c79061d4713722802401.jpg

Food prices seem to be on par with or higher than comparable restaurants nearby.  With its rock-bottom prices, the Chunky Monkey has proved very popular.  As several posters have noted, Soi Buakhao and LK Metro are price-sensitive areas and the food has to be top quality to justify premium prices and remain competitive.  That sure wasn't the case with my meal.  The happy hour price for bottled Thai beer is 60 baht, but at a bar across the street, the happy hour price for the same brands is 45 baht.  Little Tavern is likely to struggle on the price front.

If I remember the sign right,  Little Tavern is open between 7.00 a.m. and 11 p.m., but the kitchen closes at 9.00 p.m.

Bottom line:  I won't be rushing back.

Evil

On 09/01/2019 at 13:22, Evil Penevil said:

Bottom line:  I won't be rushing back.

Evil

It was a failed enterprise under the "Queens Arms" and the specials were decent...beats me how some folks can open up again with similar prices and expect to make a living   :Oops1:

1 hour ago, petermik said:

It was a failed enterprise under the "Queens Arms" and the specials were decent...beats me how some folks can open up again with similar prices and expect to make a living   :Oops1:

Yep Groundhog Day rinse and repeat.

14 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Yep Groundhog Day rinse and repeat.

Lost count ..... Maleez > Coins > Queens Arms > Little Tavern ?

• 3 weeks later...

Three strikes and the Chunky Monkey on Soi Buakhao is out for me, at least when it comes to eating a main meal there. Last night I had my third mediocre meal at CM and I'm being generous to call it mediocre.

I had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes with onion gravy and garden peas for 169 baht. This is the classic meatloaf meal and one I remember fondly from my childhood. My dad loved it hot with mashed potatoes and peas, or cold the next day in a sandwich, so my mom made it one night every week.  It was also one of the very few school lunch dishes I liked as a child.

Meatloaf is popular  in home and institutional settings because it is an easy recipe that is cheap and quick to make. If  newlywed brides as well as the cooks in schools, prisons, mental hospitals, homeless shelters and on military bases  and aboard ships can get it right, it's a shame the cook at Chunky Monkey can't.

IMG_0013a.jpg

It is indeed a large portion, but a heaping mound of mediocre food is not a positive thing in my book.  It just means more of it will remain uneaten. However, I do appreciate that if someone on a tight budget cleaned that plate, they'd be getting around 1,500 calories, which is what an older person  needs every day.

IMG_0014.jpg

The meatloaf screamed "no seasoning!" at me.  A mixture of ground beef and pork baked with egg and bread crumbs as a binder has very little taste on its own, but there are 1,000 ways to add flavor. Any kind of sauce ( Worcestershire, BBQ, chili, steak); bacon bits; garlic; any of a number of herbs and spices; ketchup; mustard; even salt and pepper would perk up the meatloaf.  The cook at the Chunky Monkey skipped all of them. Bland, bland, bland. The ground meat itself must have had a high fat content, as it was greasy with an unpleasant mouth feel.

The frozen peas hadn't been boiled long enough and were quite hard.  The gravy was very salty and also a bit greasy. The mashed potatoes were OK, but could have done with some sort of seasoning.

IMG_0017.jpg

To lift the meatloaf from the depths of insipidity, I made liberal use of the well-stocked condiment basket on the table.  That pushed the meatloaf into the somewhat palatable category.   If it hadn't been for the condiment basket, I would have rated the meatloaf as poor.

North American meatloaf is almost always topped with a glaze. ranging from dollops of BBQ sauce out of a bottle or spaghetti or pizza sauce out of a can to complicated variations based on homemade tomato sauce. The Chunky Monkey's meatloaf had no glaze, so it was U.K. style.  But if you read the meatloaf recipes from Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver, you'll see they use a lot of seasoning and other ingredients to add flavor, which the CM's didn't have.

But theirs no doubt many Pattaya residents and visitors like the Chunky Monkey.  I ate at about 8.00 p.m. and there were 25 diners in the enclosed section and another 15 or so outside.  Just about all of them were eating, not just drinking.

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

I assume that has to do with the prices and not the quality of the food.  No doubt CM is a cheap way of filling your belly.  There are numerous specials on top of the low everyday prices. Wow!  But the prices of the Monkey Madness specials on chicken, fish & chips, sliced steak and pork chop debuted at 79 baht and are now 99 baht.

Untitled-1.jpg

It seems to me that the food and service at the Chunky Monkey have gone down steadily since it opened.  In the beginning, the food was good and the staff friendly.  Not so last night.  The server literally threw down the menu on my table without a word of greeting or a smile, then came back 30 seconds later and asked, "What you want?"

If that were to happen to me in a restaurant in North America or Europe, I would answer "Nothing" and walk out.  However, in Pattaya I make allowances for language skills and work load.  They were very busy last night at the CM.  It's also possible several months of dealing with chea-  I mean, price-conscious, budget-minded customers- has left the wait staff jaded.  It does appear the service at CM is getting close to the infamous "service with a scowl" at the original cheap-Charlie bastion, the Sailor Restaurant.  

Bottom line:  I won't be back to the Chunky Monkey unless I have strong reason to believe the food  has improved.

Evil

I'm including a few pics of the menu to give a better idea of what's on offer and how much it costs.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

9 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

I won't be back to the Chunky Monkey

I stopped going into CM a couple of months ago due to the quality of the meals I received.

For another 20/30B you can get a decent meal within a 2-3minute walk or less.

Edited by Pheat
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pheat said:

I stopped going into CM a couple of months ago due to the quality of the meals I received.

For another 20/30B you can get a decent meal within a 2-3minute walk or less.

That's very true.  There's no lack of decent, even good,  meals in the LK Metro area, although the price difference in my experience is more on the line of 50 to 100 baht.

But I want to fair here.  It's possible that there are some good meals on offer at Chunky Monkey and it's just that you or I haven't tried them.  If anyone has recently enjoyed a good meal at CM, please post the details.

Evil

2 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

although the price difference in my experience is more on the line of 50 to 100 baht

The main meals are priced 159++ it is only the specials which are really cheap.

I tried CM a few months ago , and never returned it was the same meatloaf meal that evil just reviewed. It was a big portion and I had to decide wether to eat it or throw it in the trash. I did the same as evil, added some barbecue sauce, and started trying to make everything like mash potatoes taste better, then got to the peas which were hard and not cooked properly.      Beachroadlover

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

That's very true.  There's no lack of decent, even good,  meals in the LK Metro area, although the price difference in my experience is more on the line of 50 to 100 baht.

But I want to fair here.  It's possible that there are some good meals on offer at Chunky Monkey and it's just that you or I haven't tried them.  If anyone has recently enjoyed a good meal at CM, please post the details.

Evil

despite it being on the menu, you are ordering a meal that gets cooked sporadically. With such a massive menu, the outcome is obvious, i would have thought. 

If you're a person concerned about seasoning, should you be going here lol? order chicken & chips or something. 

CM must be the envy of heaps of places due to the simple fact that its always busy.

Pile the plate high and do it so cheap is obviously what many many people want.

I see food reviews about places being good that have, for Thailand, relatively high prices and small portions and its always real easy to get a seat in them because that ain't what most people want.

Chunky Monkey maybe deserves inclusion in a new topic

"Under 200 baht for a real big plateful of food and nearly always very busy but mediocre"

Edited by CuppaTea

12 minutes ago, CuppaTea said:

CM must be the Envy of heaps of places due to the simple fact that its always busy.

Pile the plate high and do it so cheap is obviously what many many people want.

I see food reviews about places being good that have, for Thailand, relatively high prices and small portions and its always real easy to get a seat in them because that ain't what most people want.

Chunky Monkey maybe deserves inclusion in a new topic

"Under 200 baht for a real big plateful of food and nearly always very busy but mediocre"

I would never eat in a place where the food wasn't good no matter the price