IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Mediocre (updated 2020)

Evil Penevil

Evil penevil I really enjoy your posts, I wonder if you have a review on Kiss Restaurant on Soi Diana/2nd road, I think it’s the busiest hotel in LK area and I have most of my lunch and dinner here, not because it’s cheap but very convenient.

• Thanks 1

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

18 hours ago, raviinc said:

Evil penevil I really enjoy your posts, I wonder if you have a review on Kiss Restaurant on Soi Diana/2nd road, I think it’s the busiest hotel in LK area and I have most of my lunch and dinner here, not because it’s cheap but very convenient.

Last year I did do a review of Kiss here.  I haven't eaten there since.  I don't think the food is bad (although some dishes can be), it's just mediocre.  However, I have friends who eat at Kiss regularly and they say certain dishes, such as spaghetti, are good and value for money.  

But whatever I or anyone else thinks about the quality of the food at Kiss, there is no denying it is one of the busiest farang-oriented restaurants in Pattaya.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

On 9/12/2018 at 23:59, raviinc said:

Haven't been there in years...Does the KISS management still tolerate the aggressive vendors that pester you between every bite I wonder.

It's hard for me to enjoy a meal when I feel like tossing my plate of food at these jerks.

• Thanks 1

Haven't been there in years...Does the KISS management still tolerate the aggressive vendors that pester you between every bite I wonder.
It's hard for me to enjoy a meal when I feel like tossing my plate of food at these jerks.

Yeah they still hang around in droves and a few give hungry looks at the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

Since I stay in and around Kiss I have my lunch sometimes and usually during late nights with a BF it’s the last stop for a quick bite. My favourites are stir fried vegetables with pork or shrimps 110 bhat, fried Seabass 350 bhat, Pork chop with mushroom sauce 195 bhat, grilled chicken with vegies 170 bhat. Like evil penevil said it’s a mediocre joint but good for a quick fix. Girls like the place also because of the variety of Thai dishes. I would rate this place as the most busiest restaurant in LK area.

Just arrived back today from Samui ... now there’s a rip off if ever you wanted a good example... I always ate my thai food at the Issan Bistro , opposite Friday’s fish and chips,  and my , from time to time , lady also gets what she likes there and it was cheap and good. It’s gone ! Closed down, not enough custom and they are gone home I’m told by the neighbours,  I like my thai food, but she loves hers, so we are a bit lost, as I have been around a lot of places and there wasn’t anyone up to their standard of stir fry etc , at the prices they were charging, very fair. 

After the vomit inducing price of 1000 baht... no alternative at all... taxi/ limo from Utapeo airport into town... to then find your favourite eating place gone was a shock to the system ... Alas I cannot go on he sayeth... 

does any kind member know where we will get decent Thai food... stir fry for me that doesn’t consist of a plate of vegetables ( undercooked onions in particular) and a morsel of whatever meat you asked for “ stir fry chicken and cashew nuts.” .5 cashews , 3 pieces of bland chicken and half a field of cheap veg. We are in August Suites, so central road, bukkaho, round there somewhere... Don’t mention Sailor ... she just kept looking at her food saying nothing ... I am going to end up in Mc donald’s while she eats off the Soi ... Thank you kindly !

ps ... re the taxi...I “f^^ ked everyone from a height in the airport, all just smiling at me ... doing it every day.. 

There's a Thai food court on Klang very close to August Suites. It's behind some vegetable stalls. A lot of good Thai food is available at cheap prices.

Evil

Sent from my Sunny2 Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There used to be a few places at the back of the night bazaar on second road. Can’t vouch for the quality nowadays though or even if still open.

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

There's a Thai food court on Klang very close to August Suites. It's behind some vegetable stalls. A lot of good Thai food is available at cheap prices.

Evil

Sent from my Sunny2 Plus using Tapatalk

Take a left at the  mango sticky rice joint.

10 hours ago, Terryofcrete said:

Just arrived back today from Samui ... now there’s a rip off if ever you wanted a good example... I always ate my thai food at the Issan Bistro , opposite Friday’s fish and chips,  and my , from time to time , lady also gets what she likes there and it was cheap and good. It’s gone ! Closed down, not enough custom and they are gone home I’m told by the neighbours,  I like my thai food, but she loves hers, so we are a bit lost, as I have been around a lot of places and there wasn’t anyone up to their standard of stir fry etc , at the prices they were charging, very fair. 

After the vomit inducing price of 1000 baht... no alternative at all... taxi/ limo from Utapeo airport into town... to then find your favourite eating place gone was a shock to the system ... Alas I cannot go on he sayeth... 

does any kind member know where we will get decent Thai food... stir fry for me that doesn’t consist of a plate of vegetables ( undercooked onions in particular) and a morsel of whatever meat you asked for “ stir fry chicken and cashew nuts.” .5 cashews , 3 pieces of bland chicken and half a field of cheap veg. We are in August Suites, so central road, bukkaho, round there somewhere... Don’t mention Sailor ... she just kept looking at her food saying nothing ... I am going to end up in Mc donald’s while she eats off the Soi ... Thank you kindly !

ps ... re the taxi...I “f^^ ked everyone from a height in the airport, all just smiling at me ... doing it every day.. 

The best chicken and cashew I have found is at Rosie’s Soi 7 and I have tried dozens in pattaya .

But the price might scare off as you seem to be very price sensitive 555

Edited by Pheat
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Pheat said:

The best chicken and cashew I have found is at Rosie’s Soi 7 and I have tried dozens in pattaya .

But the price might scare off as you seem to be very price sensitive 555

Thank you for the reply. If it’s very good , it’s worth it . Just being here a lot now has made me price sensitive to milking the farang and organised milking especially gets on my wick , as in the taxis here and in Samui. We have the baht bus, which usually defeats that element on a day to day basis, but you are correct , I am sensitive and never throw  money away, but if something is worth paying for or travelling for I have no problem. My lady is usually a good guide to what’s best quality and value , but she lives in Bangkok when not travelling in my entourage ... lol... Thanks again. 

On 19/9/2018 at 07:42, Terryofcrete said:

Thank you for the reply. If it’s very good , it’s worth it . Just being here a lot now has made me price sensitive to milking the farang and organised milking especially gets on my wick , as in the taxis here and in Samui. We have the baht bus, which usually defeats that element on a day to day basis, but you are correct , I am sensitive and never throw  money away, but if something is worth paying for or travelling for I have no problem. My lady is usually a good guide to what’s best quality and value , but she lives in Bangkok when not travelling in my entourage ... lol... Thanks again. 

Went to Rosie’s and had the chicken and Cashew nuts, it was good , thank you, and no, not expensive. However , my lady was not impressed with her chosen thai food , didn’t say a word about it, which can be taken as thumps down. it’s mainly aimed at farang folk I think, so I wouldn’t knock it ,the thai food part of the extensive menu is limited. Considering that so many Thai Ladies take so long deciding from extensive thai food menus I’d say she did ok.... thank you ... I will return alone and mill a farang dish or two ! 

On 9/17/2018 at 15:06, Terryofcrete said:

You get what you pay for. If you want cheap don't expect half a chicken.

You have a colourful vocabulary describing a 1000 baht taxi fare vomit inducing. It may come as a surprise, but local tourism is set up to make a profit, not pander to cheap charlie's. 

Can i suggest thumbing a lift in future. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the American Breakfast at Retox Game On at the beginning of the week.  The normal price was 179 baht, but I got it on the Eatigo 50% discount for 90 baht at 7.30 a.m. Sadly, it was a cheap but not very cheerful start to the day.

Things turned negative as soon as I showed the waitress my cell phone screen with the Eatigo confirmation code. She claimed it wasn't valid because it didn't include the date.  I tried to explain that the confirmation code indicated "Today," as it always does when you make a reservation the same day you eat.  She insisted the Eatigo confirmation message had to show the date in numerical form.   

I kept my voice calm and my tone polite, yet nothing I said had any effect on her. I showed her the app and how it worked, even offered to make a new reservation in front of her eyes, but she just shook her head "no."  I was about to ask for the manager when she grabbed my phone and scurried off with it.  I was NOT pleased she'd done that, but I figured she was taking it to show someone for a final decision. She came back in a few minutes, returned my phone and asked what I wanted to order like nothing had happened. Weird and unprofessional behavior, but I let it ride.  It's one more example of failure to communicate and nothing to harp on with her after the fact, although I did have a few frustrating minutes.

Retox' American breakfast consisted of two fried eggs; two small pancakes;  two slices of streaky bacon; a mystery meat sausage; and what the menu called maple syrup and hash browns.

IMG_0296.jpg.e8a7ef11db42151a6dce5a9813e1b87b.jpg

It also came with two slices of toast; two pats of butter;  a small glass of orange drink; and a choice of coffee or tea.  

IMG_0297.jpg.8950290b1309ca2e3dbfbdac8732793e.jpg

The pancakes and streaky bacon were the two best items on the plate. The bacon had a strong smoky and salty flavor that's typical for the U.S., while the pancakes were light and fluffy if a bit thick.

IMG_0293.jpg.f705b7dae65185fb6e4943a512bf3be0.jpg

The coffee was good, too. 

IMG_0291.jpg.4e4511fdb67c3a74a3268baf81bbd7e4.jpg

On the other hand, the eggs were overcooked for my taste and the formed-meat sausage and fried potatoes were inedible. The sausage had a horrid hot-dog-like smooth texture and the potatoes were greasy and mushy. The pancake syrup was about as far from the sap of the sugar maple tree as the forests of Vermont are from the cane fields of Chonburi province.

Bottom line:  It was a mediocre breakfast and that's being generous considering the hassle with the waitress. It reminded me why I seldom bother with a Western breakfast in Pattaya. I'm not expecting heaven on a plate for 90 baht, but I do expect better than I got.

One point for which I give Retox all kudos is that the menu prices are not ++.  Service and VAT were included the 179-baht price and the Eatigo discount reflected this.

IMG_0292.jpg.d304895b0f75a9139ec6bd5e59470e3b.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

I had the American Breakfast at Retox Game On at the beginning of the week.  The normal price was 179 baht, but I got it on the Eatigo 50% discount for 90 baht at 7.30 a.m. Sadly, it was a cheap but not very cheerful start to the day.
Things turned negative as soon as I showed the waitress my cell phone screen with the Eatigo confirmation code. She claimed it wasn't valid because it didn't include the date.  I tried to explain that the confirmation code indicated "Today," as it always does when you make a reservation the same day you eat.  She insisted the Eatigo confirmation message had to show the date in numerical form.   
I kept my voice calm and my tone polite, yet nothing I said had any effect on her. I showed her the app and how it worked, even offered to make a new reservation in front of her eyes, but she just shook her head "no."  I was about to ask for the manager when she grabbed my phone and scurried off with it.  I was NOT pleased she'd done that, but I figured she was taking it to show someone for a final decision. She came back in a few minutes, returned my phone and asked what I wanted to order like nothing had happened. Weird and unprofessional behavior, but I let it ride.  It's one more example of failure to communicate and nothing to harp on with her after the fact, although I did have a few frustrating minutes.
Retox' American breakfast consisted of two fried eggs; two small pancakes;  two slices of streaky bacon; a mystery meat sausage; and what the menu called maple syrup and hash browns.
 It also came with two slices of toast; two pats of butter;  a small glass of orange drink; and a choice of coffee or tea.  
The pancakes and streaky bacon were the two best items on the plate. The bacon had a strong smoky and salty flavor that's typical for the U.S., while the pancakes were light and fluffy if a bit thick.
On the other hand, the eggs were overcooked for my taste and the formed-meat sausage and fried potatoes were inedible. The sausage had a horrid hot-dog-like smooth texture and the potatoes were greasy and mushy. The pancake syrup was about as far from the sap of the sugar maple tree as the forests of Vermont are from the cane fields of Chonburi province.
Bottom line:  It was a mediocre breakfast and that's being generous considering the hassle with the waitress. It reminded me why I seldom bother with a Western breakfast in Pattaya. I'm not expecting heaven on a plate for 90 baht, but I do expect better than I got.
One point for which I give Retox all kudos is that the menu prices are not ++.  Service and VAT were included the 179-baht price and the Eatigo discount reflected this.
Evil

That’s my regular breakfast joint. Like you said the sausages are pasty, wonder if they are adding some kinda flour to bind the meat, even the size seemed a little unusual. They also cut the string of the tea bags and they are right at the bottom, almost swallowed a bag when I hurriedly drank the tea.

Untitled-2.jpg.edde9df302179594bddee7edec3574b7.jpg

I used the Eatigo discount (50% at 1.30 p.m.) to have lunch the other day at the Garden Cafe at the Avani hotel on 2nd Road. I had been tempted by the "Recommended Menu" selections on Eatigo, but none of the dishes I wanted to try were available on the limited lunch menu.  I chose Lamb Rogan Josh at 350 baht as the best option.  it came with basmati rice; tiny pieces of naan bread; a tiny dish of chutney, unknown flavor; and an equally small dish of a super-salty pickled vegetable.

IMG_0008.jpg.2b55748540eaaf79e2bbb97b7eddb2c0.jpg

I'm not a portion fanatic, but the serving of lamb rogan josh was small even by my standards,  You can use the fork in the pic for a sense of scale. It was a large plate, but it didn't have much food on it. It wasn't value-for-money even with a 50% discount.

IMG_0010.jpg.82a0604549ce92611b8aaf4a3683b26b.jpg

The aromatic sauce was great, but a couple of the chunks of lamb hadn't had the fat trimmed properly and were gristly. To me, unrendered lamb fat is gamy and inedible. On the whole, it was a mediocre dish, despite the sauce.

IMG_0009.jpg.9ac14e160daf6eae7ea4b81244045462.jpg

The menu price doesn't include VAT and service, so the real cost was 205 baht.  The cheapest bottle of mineral water was 80 baht, bringing the total cost of the meal to 299 baht. To be fair, Eatigo makes clear the menu prices are ++.

The interior of the Garden Cafe is very nice, but I was the only person eating there.

IMG_0014.jpg.2ddb83b9e207e15ea2d84eee88cb4d68.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg.0ddbe2bbb34b18866901a4a124288cd6.jpg

IMG_20180927_134515.jpg.8ad8bcb5dd94e48706567e65aaf93074.jpg

There's also an extensive outdoor eating area.

IMG_0017.jpg.1967e33eecc5dbffc89610b533d1f3bd.jpg

The Avani hotel has its own herb garden.

IMG_0016.jpg.d15d8fe9d47b8600d1b98cfbcf5b8dbf.jpg

I saw one of the cooks snipping fresh herbs.  

Untitled-1.jpg.2d2988c8745a20738012bdefb0c8ab42.jpg

Service was friendly and attentive.  IMG_0015.jpg.4b8932a5a1676b0f73cc979655ceed05.jpg

Bottom line:  You have the potential for an excellent dining experience at the Garden Cafe, but the Lamb Rogan Josh was only mediocre.  I expected better at the Garden Cafe.

Evil

IMG_0013.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wish I could have included the Chunky Monkey's 99-baht spaghetti bolognese special of the day in the "Under 300 Baht ... And Good!" thread, but it just didn't make the grade. 

IMG_0094.jpg.aa93aa9bc3f936491567506aa69c94f2.jpg

What I got was tasteless sauteed ground beef dumped on top of a plate of spaghetti.  There was no real sauce and no seasoning at all, Italian or otherwise.

IMG_0099.jpg.df82baa0d2e3fd4b9c6d3e6ea2e1042e.jpg

Some pieces of onion and garlic and maybe a spoonful of tomato puree had been added to the beef, but in such a small quantity and cooked for such a short time they didn't add any flavor.  The watery Liquid wasn't a sauce.  Even the little dish of grated Parmesan cheese from a package was flavorless.

IMG_0098.jpg.752d59d94346dd3514824187f72336d3.jpg

If there were an Olympics of Blandness for restaurant food, this would be a gold medal winner. But as standard restaurant fare, it ranks no higher than mediocre.   For 99 baht, I'm not expecting the best spaghetti in town, but it should at least have a proper sauce with an Italian flavor.  

The Chunky Monkey (on Soi Buakhao across from Tree Town) ...

IMG_00693.jpg.6f8d3eca3885cced323fd0e6b51a3668.jpg

has been open about three weeks and has already established itself as one of the more popular eateries in the area.  I certainly wish it well, but I hope the spaghetti bolognese will improve.  I've only eaten there twice and so far the Chunky Monkey is batting 50-50 with me: one good meal, one mediocre.  You can read about the good meal here (post #577).

Bottom line:  The mediocre spaghetti special won't deter me from returning to the Chunky Monkey.

Evil

• Like 1

On 30/09/2018 at 14:15, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

Sir you are a brave man. I don’t think you want to know what the cook may have done to your food. Never piss off a restaurant employee.

On 07/11/2018 at 16:05, Evil Penevil said:

I wish I could have included the Chunky Monkey's 99-baht spaghetti bolognese special of the day in the "Under 300 Baht ... And Good!" thread, but it just didn't make the grade. 

IMG_0094.jpg.aa93aa9bc3f936491567506aa69c94f2.jpg

What I got was tasteless sauteed ground beef dumped on top of a plate of spaghetti.  There was no real sauce and no seasoning at all, Italian or otherwise.

IMG_0099.jpg.df82baa0d2e3fd4b9c6d3e6ea2e1042e.jpg

Some pieces of onion and garlic and maybe a spoonful of tomato puree had been added to the beef, but in such a small quantity and cooked for such a short time they didn't add any flavor.  The watery liquid wasn't a sauce.  Even the little dish of grated Parmesan cheese from a package was flavorless.

IMG_0098.jpg.752d59d94346dd3514824187f72336d3.jpg

If there were an Olympics of Blandness for restaurant food, this would be a gold medal winner. But as standard restaurant fare, it ranks no higher than mediocre.   For 99 baht, I'm not expecting the best spaghetti in town, but it should at least have a proper sauce with an Italian flavor.  

The Chunky Monkey (on Soi Buakhao across from Tree Town) ...

IMG_00693.jpg.6f8d3eca3885cced323fd0e6b51a3668.jpg

has been open about three weeks and has already established itself as one of the more popular eateries in the area.  I certainly wish it well, but I hope the spaghetti bolognese will improve.  I've only eaten there twice and so far the Chunky Monkey is batting 50-50 with me: one good meal, one mediocre.  You can read about the good meal here (post #577).

Bottom line:  The mediocre spaghetti special won't deter me from returning to the Chunky Monkey.

Evil

I had the full priced spaghetti and it wasn't to my taste either... back to the Soi Diana spaghetti cart...

IMG_20181019_200727242-spaget.jpg

On 01/08/2018 at 13:08, Saddic said:

Centara: ...ditto...  bad...

Lee's Diner:... meh...

Take Away:  bad... how do you screw up a bacon sandwich?  go and find out...

Robin Hood:  Under new(current mgt)..  mediocre to good... I do like their cod & chips...  Will never do the carvery again...  held under heat lamps all day (I guess you get there at noon, or you get worn out shoe leather...

Anyplace with tour buses: agree, mediocre to extremely bad...

Check the drink prices , non alco, before you order anything .. fruit shake 109bht ! I walked out ! 

I haven't had much luck at the Chunky Monkey.  I tried the 99-baht daily special yesterday- chicken rissoles with onion gravy and mashed potatoes- and it was as bland as, well, unseasoned chicken.

IMG_0105.jpg.4da0a44a82a8edfc01372081c4a16737.jpg

The only flavor came from the thick, glutenous package gravy to which a few bits of onion had been added.  The chicken patty itself was totally lacking in any sort of seasoning and consequently, no taste either.

IMG_0108.jpg.06e8859cc320984c2e3732cc65f80250.jpg

On the plus side, the mash was good and the patty had been cooked properly.  It wasn't dry inside, but it had an extremely smooth texture, though, which gave it a weird mouth feel.  The rissoles would have been much helped by the addition of diced onion, garlic, carrot, green pepper, whatever, but most of all it needed herbs or spices.  There are dozens of variations to Australian-style rissoles.  There's no one right recipe, but there is a wrong way.  I scraped off the icky gravy and gave the rissoles a few splashes of HP Sauce from the condiment basket.  That improved them, but it didn't make them good.

IMG_0109a.jpg.bfec97015f558178436890af77a51432.jpg

Bottom line: The Chunky Monkey now has two strikes against it in my book.  In the near future, I'll try either the Sunday roast or the meatloaf dinner.  A third strike will put it out for me as a dining option for quite awhile.

That's unfortunate,  as it has a convenient location and an enclosed air-conditioned dining area. It's well-lit, clean and spacious, with the background music played at a blessedly low volume and friendly service. Not many budget restaurants in Pattaya tick all those boxes. 

The prices for bottled beer are very low (55 baht for Leo and Chang, 65 baht for SML) and big bottles cost 79 baht.  Perhaps that will be enough to attract customers who aren't concerned about bland food. However, the cocktail van across the street could give it a run for the money.

IMG_0111.jpg.2d8540385c8326fe5ed58c7502eab01e.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg.c8912ea9833ea34d8a2218d8072d826b.jpg

35 minutes ago, PBear66 said:

Always appreciate your reviews but most of these meals just look very average. 

That's the purpose of this thread ("Under 300 Baht ... And Mediocre"), to highlight meals that aren't bad, just average.

Evil

• Like 1