IGNORED

Full Moon Party

Braveheart

The Full Moon Party is an all-night beach party that takes place in Haad Rin on the island of Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand on the night of every full moon.

Background

The party was originally a small affair with a small number of backpacking travellers dancing through the night of the full moon, mainly to psychedelic trance music. Originally, the music was some tapes coming from Goa'Party (India), and the first Full Moon Party was improvised at a wooden disco not far from the beach. The Full Moon Party gained fame quickly through word of mouth, and the event now draws a crowd in excess of 10,000 every full moon evening. The party carries on until the sun rises the next day. All the bars on the sunset beach of Haad Rin town stay open and play music such as drum and bass, house and reggae. The event has become a part of the itinerary of many travellers to Asia. Entry to the event is completely free. In recent years, local entrepreneurs have attempted to expand upon the event with spinoffs like the Half Moon Party and Black Moon Party.

Drinking & dancing

Thai alcohol brands such as Sang Som rum, Mekong whiskey, and Singha beer are most popular among travellers. A signature of the Full Moon Party are the buckets - mixed drinks served in small plastic pails. A bottle of alcohol (usually Sang Som rum) is poured over ice and topped up with a can of Coke and a bottle of Red Bull syrup. Several straws are then thrown in. The price in 2007 for a bucket was around 200 baht, roughly £3/$5.50.

Drugs

In the past there has been some association with illegal drug use. Although the use, possession, and/or sale of drugs is illegal under Thai law, club drugs such as ecstasy, methamphetamine, Yaa Baa, marijuana, opium, mushrooms and even over the counter diet pills have been reported. As of 2002, the Thai government has pursued a stricter defense against illegal drugs at these events. The standard bribe for possession is about 50,000 baht (£750/$1200) and foreigners do go to jail for possession. Drug use at Full Moon Parties has lessened in recent years, in part due to greater fear of being caught but also because the parties now draw attendees from a wider range of backgrounds.

Other attractions

Fire Poi - burning, fuel-soaked balls on chains - are a common sight at Full Moon Parties. Performers, both locals and tourists, whirl these balls of fire around in the air to create a spectacular visual display.

Extracted from Wikipedia: Full Moon Party

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dimag

• erogenous

• Gyromorph

• jgc123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone been to this party? Is it worth the trip?

Give it a go, youve nothing to lose.

Youll love it or hate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I was there they had beach party's most weekends on Samui Half moon, quarter moon and dark moon party all good fun and an easy taxi ride back to the beach hut.

Never went to Ko Pha Ngan but then I'm not into all night drug fueled dancing.

"A man does what he can until his destiny is revealed"

There's light at the end of this long tunnel

sounds good but sorry pattaya will do me fine

ya i only was in pataya and dont know much about the partys.

are only "farangs" there or do thais party there too?=

• 4 months later...

To be honest the partys have had their day.

Ive been going to Pha Ngan every other year since 90,and have unfortunatly seen it degrade into a Island that has sold its soul to tourism.

Even staying around the back of the island is now only a stopgap,as the sealed roads are now encrouching on even the most far flung corners.

The parties themselves have degraded from 500-1000 stoned chilled out tourists into an event that attract L/B'S,Police and other such leaches from all over....not to mention the average Farang is now a 2 week package tourist from Liverpool staying in a 3 star on Samui.

I'm sorry if i seem overly synical,but Pha Ngan used to be my own little escape to heaven...this year ive decided to pull the trigger and just spend 3 weeks in Patt with a few days on Samet,rather than have the memories ive accumulated in the Gulf trodden on...Mercutio

Went there a few years ago. Didn't like it, but my mates loved it. Two hours later,I bribed one of the speedboats 300 baht to take me back to Koh Samui, otherwise had to wait until 7 a.m. to catch the slow "ferry" (fishing boat), and we didn't have any accomodation.

No accomadation?...surly it wasnt nessasary???

In recent years just fall asleep down the south end of the beach,and wait to be woken up by a courtious,EVER so appealing,invite from any one of the local Katoey's!! :D:P ....Mercutio

• 1 month later...

I went on the 24th of November and had a good time. Wish I could of spent more time on phangan but I only ferried over for the party and then back the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

a couple pics from the 24th nov party.

beach was CROWDED

213362-3349.jpg

213362-3350.jpg

213362-3351.jpg

213362-3352.jpg

all in all, had a good time

213362-3353.jpg

try and post more pics later.

if you can make one of the parties, at the least its something to experience once.

animalsdancingpanda6eb.gif

"You went full retard...."

Sgt Lincoln Osiris

• 2 months later...
The Full Moon Party is an all-night beach party that takes place in Haad Rin on the island of Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand on the night of every full moon.

Background

The party was originally a small affair with a small number of backpacking travellers dancing through the night of the full moon, mainly to psychedelic trance music. Originally, the music was some tapes coming from Goa'Party (India), and the first Full Moon Party was improvised at a wooden disco not far from the beach. The Full Moon Party gained fame quickly through word of mouth, and the event now draws a crowd in excess of 10,000 every full moon evening. The party carries on until the sun rises the next day. All the bars on the sunset beach of Haad Rin town stay open and play music such as drum and bass, house and reggae. The event has become a part of the itinerary of many travellers to Asia. Entry to the event is completely free. In recent years, local entrepreneurs have attempted to expand upon the event with spinoffs like the Half Moon Party and Black Moon Party.

Drinking & dancing

Thai alcohol brands such as Sang Som rum, Mekong whiskey, and Singha beer are most popular among travellers. A signature of the Full Moon Party are the buckets - mixed drinks served in small plastic pails. A bottle of alcohol (usually Sang Som rum) is poured over ice and topped up with a can of Coke and a bottle of Red Bull syrup. Several straws are then thrown in. The price in 2007 for a bucket was around 200 baht, roughly £3/$5.50.

Drugs

In the past there has been some association with illegal drug use. Although the use, possession, and/or sale of drugs is illegal under Thai law, club drugs such as ecstasy, methamphetamine, Yaa Baa, marijuana, opium, mushrooms and even over the counter diet pills have been reported. As of 2002, the Thai government has pursued a stricter defense against illegal drugs at these events. The standard bribe for possession is about 50,000 baht (£750/$1200) and foreigners do go to jail for possession. Drug use at Full Moon Parties has lessened in recent years, in part due to greater fear of being caught but also because the parties now draw attendees from a wider range of backgrounds.

Other attractions

Fire Poi - burning, fuel-soaked balls on chains - are a common sight at Full Moon Parties. Performers, both locals and tourists, whirl these balls of fire around in the air to create a spectacular visual display.

Extracted from Wikipedia: Full Moon Party

is it good for mongering?

Without a family a rich man is very poor

To be honest the partys have had their day.

Ive been going to Pha Ngan every other year since 90,and have unfortunatly seen it degrade into a Island that has sold its soul to tourism.

Even staying around the back of the island is now only a stopgap,as the sealed roads are now encrouching on even the most far flung corners.

The parties themselves have degraded from 500-1000 stoned chilled out tourists into an event that attract L/B'S,Police and other such leaches from all over....not to mention the average Farang is now a 2 week package tourist from Liverpool staying in a 3 star on Samui.

I'm sorry if i seem overly synical,but Pha Ngan used to be my own little escape to heaven...this year ive decided to pull the trigger and just spend 3 weeks in Patt with a few days on Samet,rather than have the memories ive accumulated in the Gulf trodden on...Mercutio

too true, couldnt agree with you more !

is it good for mongering?

No need to its full of drunk and horny girls lol

If you're in Samui might as well go to Ko PhanGan to check it out.

I will be much more fun if you're with your mates rather than alone or with a Samui bargirl. The girl I was with was really into it; thought it was too crowded.

Also the younger guys will probably enjoy it more.

Ladyboy Review Forum http://www.ladyboyreview.com

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to a few and loved it! You better like it loud though. I would grab a girl from KS and bring her along too. Lots of farang chicks and a few thai looking for "boyfriends". Take-away is the best way to go in my opinion. Have a blast, but stay alert. I got offered drugs twice on one FMP by a obvious undercover cop.

• 2 months later...

Koh Phangan is briliiant I reckon. I wouldn't go when the Full Moon party is on though as you will struggle to find accomodation. The parties are on pretty much every night. I prefer to go when the Moon parties aren't on as its more chilled and safer. Then we usually beach hop round the island chilling , relaxing , snorkelling and diving. I would reccomend going with a few mates though and also wouldn't reccomend going in rainy season as the sea is a bit dangerous and the tracks also.

• 1 month later...

I've been in Koh Phangan for the fullmoon party of february with other two friends... Brilliant...

We really had a blast!!!! The beach was really full of people... U could hardly see the sea... Btw, it was full of young people, drunk and friendly, easy to become friends with... Also full of girls... Drunk swedish farang girls, and, obviously, thai girls... A lot of bar girls that for the full moon go to koh phangan looking for more customers... The buckets with vodka and redbull were 300bath... but if u buy more than one u can easily get a discount...

Also full of drug seller, but also full of policemen... So, if someone is interested, be very carefull...

In conclusion, from my opinion, a beautiful experience... Very turistic, but very fun!!!!

• 1 month later...

i was there in febuary 2008

lots of girls from all countrys there farang girls fucking anyone on the beach,and then they find next guy to fuck.

seen lots of people having sex on beach in full view of everyone

there is even a game that you can play on beach the guys can wear a number and the girls pick number out of bucket,whichever number they pick they get to fuck

its just full of sex starved girls go there to get laid,i have couple girls from poland shag me in febuary.

give it a go,you wont regret it

remember always use condoms,safe sex

I didnt see many thai girls in them photos. Think Ill just stay in Pattaya

• 1 month later...

i've heard that loads of people simply sleep on the beach during the party

is this right?

is it safe?

<div align="center"><embed src="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/1/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/&clickLABEL=Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com&flashLABEL=Zoodu.com&pic=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/1/themes/1.swf&text=I%27m%20getting%20BJ%27s%20all%20day%20in%20BKK%21&bgColor=13421772&untilColor=65280&textColor=13421772&year=2009&month=9&day=8&hour=19&min=0&sec=0" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="175" name="show" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/">Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com</a></small></div>