IGNORED

Cardiff to Doha Disappointing

Rainsberger

HI Guys

Here is some very disappointing news from Qatar Airways regarding the new service betwween Cardiff and Doha.

Eleven weeks after Qatar Airways launched flights between Cardiff Airport and its hub in Doha, the airline’s chief executive has expressed disappointment with how well the flights are attracting passengers.

Akbar Al Baker told The Independent: “Cardiff is still not performing as we expected it to perform. We are giving it time. We are hoping Cardiff will come around, passenger-wise. Air freight-wise, it’s doing absolutely well – there’s a lot of air-freight demand in and out of Cardiff.”

Cardiff Airport was bought by the Welsh Government for £52m in 2013. Its most recent figures showed an annual loss of £6m. 

The airport narrowly won the new route to and from Doha in competition with nearby Bristol. Mr Al Baker told the BBC in March: “We had competition between Wales and Bristol and Wales won.”

The connection with Doha has had wide-ranging benefits. South Wales is now one stop from New South Wales and the rest of Australia, with Bali, Bangkok and 150 other destinations available to travellers.

The launch, on 1 May, also put Cardiff on the map in many other parts of the world, making it accessible from China, India and Africa with a single change of plane.

It is unusual for an airline chief executive to comment on a new route other than to say it is performing in line with expectations.

In common with other airlines, Qatar Airways keeps its performance figures for individual routes confidential. For the coming weekend, demand – and fares – are very high. But the airline will be looking keenly at forward bookings. 

Maybe Bristol Airport would have been a better option especially for me 2 hours away.

He added: “The rest of the network in the UK is doing good." 

The Qatar Airways chief executive has also warned travellers looking ahead to Christmas 2022 to book early, because of the reduction in the supply of seats caused by Qatar’s staging of the World Cup in November and December of that year.

They’ve been offering some very low Economy fares CWL-BKK-CWL so I’d guessed seats were slow. Their Biz fares are always high though.

I hope they stick to the route as it would be very useful to me in a few years. Getting to LHR by public transport is a nightmare. I could pay for a taxi to CWL for less than parking in LHR when I get to needing one or the other.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

This route was always going to be a "suck it and see" route for Qatar I think. The WAG recently refused to discuss what inducements Qatar were receiving saying it was against national interests. Bristol was always the better choice, mainly  for the catchment area , I would like to think that things will pick up at CWL. Honestly I don't think that even the inducements made will make Qatar stay, a shame, but business is the name of the game.

I'm from the South West. I would love Bristol to have these flights.

Cardiff is just as long for me to get to than Heathrow lol

I'm in Plymouth and i travel to Heathrow by car every trip would also love it had Qatar decided to use Bristol which is only half the distance to Heathrow nevermind only 10 weeks to next trip roll on.

On 19/07/2018 at 17:30, Dazza118 said:

I'm from the South West. I would love Bristol to have these flights.

Cardiff is just as long for me to get to than Heathrow lol

I think that is part of the problem. There is always going to be such a small catchment area for these flights. For many in the South-West it is just as easy to get to LHR as it is to Cardiff. Similarly those in the Midlands have Emirates flying from BHX.

Hopefully it will work out, KLM have for years successfully managed to fly out of both Cardiff and Bristol using Amsterdam as their hub. Maybe over time people will realise that it will be easier and more hassle free to fly out of Cardiff.

Airlines aren't in the charity industry. So if a route isn't showing the right growth in revenue why would you keep it going?

Today WAG have stated that £1M has been given to Qatar to market Wales as a destination, but went onto say that last week out of 1750 seats available from Cardiff 1500 were sold. I know that it does take time for a route to mature, I still have a feeling that it may not last much longer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Qatar are increasing flights to Manchester next month, then starting next may, they will have 3 flights everyday 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2018 at 17:11, bobbybgood said:

Today WAG have stated that £1M has been given to Qatar to market Wales as a destination, but went onto say that last week out of 1750 seats available from Cardiff 1500 were sold. I know that it does take time for a route to mature, I still have a feeling that it may not last much longer. 

I don't know what occupancy rates airlines go on, but a 85% full flights doesn't sound too bad (assuming that the each seat is filled at a profit). I guess that it depends on how many of those empty seats were from the higher profit margins such as first class and business class.

29 minutes ago, billybob69 said:

I don't know what occupancy rates airlines go on, but a 85% full flights doesn't sound too bad (assuming that the each seat is filled at a profit). I guess that it depends on how many of those empty seats were from the higher profit margins such as first class and business class.

I’ve been keeping an eye on fares and they haven’t budged on the Business Class fares to Bangkok. They have stayed high since launch. They keep pushing ‘sales’ on Economy fares and there have been some very low Econ fares to Bangkok from Cardiff.

This suggests they’re doing ok selling the Biz seats - which is where they make their money. Economy seats barely break even in a lot of cases.

No First Class on the Cardiff route.

As well as the money made from selling seats, don't forget there is also money to be made on the route from carrying cargo

• 1 year later...

"Qatar Airways has confirmed it sees its Cardiff to Doha route as a long-term", then the report states that they only have a 55% occupancy rate!

https://www.business-live.co.uk/regional-development/how-many-passengers-flew-first-16701011

Started to look at flights for this time next year. What to do think would happen if Qatar cancel the route? Would they automatically give refunds?

4 minutes ago, billybob69 said:

"Qatar Airways has confirmed it sees its Cardiff to Doha route as a long-term", then the report states that they only have a 55% occupancy rate!

https://www.business-live.co.uk/regional-development/how-many-passengers-flew-first-16701011

Started to look at flights for this time next year. What to do think would happen if Qatar cancel the route? Would they automatically give refunds?

I’m sure they would, yes. I’d be surprised if they cancelled the route though. They’ve just announced a big expansion of Doha Airport so will want to keep passenger numbers plus the Welsh Government own Cardiff Airport and will be very keen to keep Qatar there.

I’m actually flying with Qatar from CWL for the first time in December, though I’m flying back into LHR.

Maybe they all saving the money for Welsh World Cup final paying silly money for tickets on black market ,555 .. So Qatar will have to wait 555 

On 20/10/2019 at 18:33, davidge said:

I’m sure they would, yes. I’d be surprised if they cancelled the route though. They’ve just announced a big expansion of Doha Airport so will want to keep passenger numbers plus the Welsh Government own Cardiff Airport and will be very keen to keep Qatar there.

I’m actually flying with Qatar from CWL for the first time in December, though I’m flying back into LHR.

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I am asking is if they cancelled the Cardiff flights whether would put you on a LHR or BHX flight instead? 

I don't want to be in a position where I'm having to travel to Heathrow and then go via the Middle East.

I'd be interested to read your views of the Qatar from CWL service after you have flown in December.

bb69

7 minutes ago, billybob69 said:

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I am asking is if they cancelled the Cardiff flights whether would put you on a LHR or BHX flight instead? 

I don't want to be in a position where I'm having to travel to Heathrow and then go via the Middle East.

I'd be interested to read your views of the Qatar from CWL service after you have flown in December.

bb69

I think they’d have to offer a full refund or an alternative (your choice) if they cancelled.

I’ll post a review after I get home (3rd week in January) but I’m flying in Business Class so may not be much help to you.

I have had 7 or 8 return flights CWL-BKK with Qatar since they started out of Cardiff, 1 of those flights was delayed which meant I missed my DOH-BKK connection and  1 was cancelled and we were transferred to LHR, by a huge coincidence they were exactly a year apart, my claim for compensation(600euro) was met and settled within 10days, I cannot speak highly enough of Qatar airways, I am a silver privilege and I must say I am well looked after by the cabin crew, even though I  fly economy. 

Archived