IGNORED

Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred Providers

bertik

I broached this topic in the Pattaya expats forum but perhaps here is the correct location.  I am trying to determine if there are any Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred Providers in Pattaya. ( in case of any misunderstanding, I am referring to Health Insurance  providers) Any US expats with BCBS  coverage have info re: this topic?

Might want to contact BCBS and get a list of overseas providers, if any. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I have been using my BCBS federal employee health insurance in Pattaya at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for the past 4 years... you pay up front (can put it on a credit card, etc) and then file the claim online (upload bills, claim form, etc), and after a few weeks, you get reimbursed, etc... the past several months I was provided an AXA (BCBS overseas section, something like that?) rep in the States, who I communicate with via email/let her know of upcoming Dr. appointments - and she is able to communicate with the hospital and provide up front health insurance coverage, so that when I pay, I only have to pay the coPAY, deductible, etc... also, prior to that, with relatively major health issues requiring long term care, the hospital can communicate with BCBS/AXA and set up insurance coverage for you... Also, with BCBS, you (always - even in the States) are required to contact them prior to hospitalization if you are conscious, etc - to let them know you are being admitted to the hospital, etc, etc... I always request a medical certificate and detailed bill (in addition to the normal bill), which I submit either via the FEPBlue web site, or via email to my AXA rep... bottom line is that it works, but it is far more complicated than back in the States with preferred providers, where it is all done without you having to submit bills/claim forms, etc... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

I have BCBS thru my Carpenters Union in the states.  I checked before I came here this time,  and was told they reimburse, but you will pay upfront for emergencies.  Didn't ask about preferred providers.   Also they had me sign up for a program called Global Core BCBS. Might want to look into that.  It didn't cost anything,  just registered me for global care.  

9 hours ago, HTW said:

I have BCBS thru my Carpenters Union in the states.  I checked before I came here this time,  and was told they reimburse, but you will pay upfront for emergencies.  Didn't ask about preferred providers.   Also they had me sign up for a program called Global Core BCBS. Might want to look into that.  It didn't cost anything,  just registered me for global care.  

I can pretty much agree with this, I have a Blue cross plan , and there are hundreds of different plans , but was told the same.... Yes, you have full coverage , save all  receipts , submit for reimbursement ..... I used to read thread about guys buying Travel Insurance and got a bit nervous.... so I made some calls....  I  am not an ex pat ...but spend 4 months or so a year outside the US

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

6 hours ago, baddog666 said:

I can pretty much agree with this, I have a Blue cross plan , and there are hundreds of different plans , but was told the same.... Yes, you have full coverage , save all  receipts , submit for reimbursement ..... I used to read thread about guys buying Travel Insurance and got a bit nervous.... so I made some calls....  I  am not an ex pat ...but spend 4 months or so a year outside the US

I too spend four months a year overseas so asked my HMO (Kaiser Permanente) what was the longest I could stay overseas and retain my medical coverage. I was told six months, any longer and my residence would be outside the U.S.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On 7/15/2018 at 22:27, HTW said:

Well that's lovely...providing you have the cash/credit to pay upfront. 

And how much might be required to pay upfront? What might be the malady? 

A heart attack requiring Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)? The good news is this may only cost "US $22,000 in Thailand."  Make sure you have that much (and more) available in cash or credit. 

How about abdomen discomfort being revealed as caused by an Aortic Aneurysm requiring immediate surgery? Didn't see Thailand costs but estimates for India or Mexico (who in their right mind would risk their lives having this surgery in either country is beyond me...but apparently some do) are US $ 6,000 ~ 15,000. Presumably Thailand might charge more. 

How about a motorcycle or van accident (potential damages unlimited), boating mishap, etc? 

You really want to be on the hook to pay all that upfront? 

And if you cannot, or the treating facility thinks you cannot, do you think you are whisked into the OR/ICU with the hopes they'll be paid at some point in the future? Good luck on that idea. :unsure:

Consider a recommended travel insurance policy that includes medevac. 

https://www.pacificprime.com/resources/news/2013/09/16/thailand-rising-health-care-costs/

https://www.medicaltourismco.com/abdominal-thoracic-aortic-aneurysm-repair-abroad/

Just this morning I  found out from AXA, (the BC/BS operators for overseas claims)  that if you can have procedures done at a Preferred Provider they (the Preferred Provider) bill  BC/BS   directly and you are only responsible for whatever deductible you have. Otherwise, if not at a Preferred Provider, you are responsible to recoup your expenses by filing a claim with the company .

This info pertains to folks that live here full time. Travel Insurance policies  would not be practical for our purposes. 

On 7/17/2018 at 13:05, CyberPro said:

Well that's lovely...providing you have the cash/credit to pay upfront. 

And how much might be required to pay upfront? What might be the malady? 

A heart attack requiring Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)? The good news is this may only cost "US $22,000 in Thailand."  Make sure you have that much (and more) available in cash or credit. 

How about abdomen discomfort being revealed as caused by an Aortic Aneurysm requiring immediate surgery? Didn't see Thailand costs but estimates for India or Mexico (who in their right mind would risk their lives having this surgery in either country is beyond me...but apparently some do) are US $ 6,000 ~ 15,000. Presumably Thailand might charge more. 

How about a motorcycle or van accident (potential damages unlimited), boating mishap, etc? 

You really want to be on the hook to pay all that upfront? 

And if you cannot, or the treating facility thinks you cannot, do you think you are whisked into the OR/ICU with the hopes they'll be paid at some point in the future? Good luck on that idea. :unsure:

Consider a recommended travel insurance policy that includes medevac. 

https://www.pacificprime.com/resources/news/2013/09/16/thailand-rising-health-care-costs/

https://www.medicaltourismco.com/abdominal-thoracic-aortic-aneurysm-repair-abroad/

I agree with you.  I'm simply stating the policy of BCBS. I could never afford to pay out of pocket up front for something like that. Travelers insurance is definitely the way to go. But thanks for your insightful feedback. 

• 1 month later...

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya   Pattaya Memorial Hospital   Pattaya International Hospital .print out doesn't specify preferred but merely provider..prbly a moot point as merely a provider is probably due to the limited choice.....fed blue ..blue cross...upon delving a little further ..looks as if there are preferred hospitals In some places in Thailand for for blue cross. overseas ie Bangkok ..this may have some bearing on payment and planning elective procedures..

Archived